Life in the 80's

Talk about anything that catches your fancy, not necessarily horse-related. Just sit back, get comfortable and chat with friends.

Moderator: EC

Postby Ruth » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:20 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Those are all after my time - I used to watch Scooby Doo (before they added Scrappy and removed Fred, Daphne and Velma), the SuperFriends, Josie and the Pussycats, Jabberjaws and that Dune Buggy guy, hmm, Captain Caveman. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#When I lived in England in the '70's it was the Wombles, Dr.Who ( the theme music still terrifies my sister), the Magic Roundabout, Blue Peter and Basil Brush. I think the only one of those that has been cancelled is the Wombles.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby babytigger » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:24 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#lol ruth - my oldest at 8 yrs old loves watching scoody doo -they brought back fred, daphne & velma...and now scrappy is never on it!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby lifeafterracing » Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:50 pm

Ruth wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Those are all after my time - I used to watch Scooby Doo (before they added Scrappy and removed Fred, Daphne and Velma), the SuperFriends, Josie and the Pussycats, Jabberjaws and that Dune Buggy guy, hmm, Captain Caveman. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#When I lived in England in the '70's it was the Wombles, Dr.Who ( the theme music still terrifies my sister), the Magic Roundabout, Blue Peter and Basil Brush. I think the only one of those that has been cancelled is the Wombles.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh Ruth, you've just brought back some wonderful memories for me.  I was in England in the mid-70's and I loved the Wombles, Dr. Who, Basil Brush and the others.  Do you remember On The Buses?  There are so many more shows, but their names escape me at the moment.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
lifeafterracing

Postby Guineapigger » Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:11 am

Ruth wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Those are all after my time - I used to watch Scooby Doo (before they added Scrappy and removed Fred, Daphne and Velma), the SuperFriends, Josie and the Pussycats, Jabberjaws and that Dune Buggy guy, hmm, Captain Caveman. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#When I lived in England in the '70's it was the Wombles, Dr.Who ( the theme music still terrifies my sister), the Magic Roundabout, Blue Peter and Basil Brush. I think the only one of those that has been cancelled is the Wombles.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And don't forget that stretchy plastic guy superhero, who had the girlfriend with the southern accent (who was always saying "oh, plaaahs..".)  Or Hong Kong Fuey, the karate dog.  And I was always frightened by "Laaaand - of the - Loooost"  where the family floated their raft over a waterfall into some wormhole and wound up in a dinosaur land.  I was scared of aliens as a child, and for some reason, there were aliens in this dino land too.  (Don't even get me started on "Project UFO").   #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Now, I will go off to the barn singing "they call him...jabber jabber jabber jabber jabber jabber jabber..JAW...thanks to you.  And I will poke my horse in the nose with my fist and yell "wonder twin powers, activate...form of - a decent rider!  shape of - a dressage horse!"#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Guineapigger
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Ruth » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:45 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yeah, I had thought about adding the Wonder Twins to my list!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't remember On the Buses, but my mother would if we had watched it as children. The name rings a bell.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My aunt named her dog Zebedee because me, my sister and her grandchildren ( our cousins ) all loved the Magic Roundabout so much. I had a stuffed Dougall up until I was about 10, but he got so worn out he had to be thrown out.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#How about Rupert Bear?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby lifeafterracing » Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:32 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I remember Rupert Bear.  He was toooooo cool.  What about Bill & Ben, The Flowerpot Men?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
lifeafterracing

Postby Ruth » Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:50 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh yeah! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Kricket » Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:18 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Guineapigger - lol!!  I was just thinking about the Wonder Twins as I was reading.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Great thread.  Lots of memories.  Remember when people were trampled trying to get Cabbage Patch Kids?!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#BT - I used to love those Friendship pins!  A week or so ago I was just trying to figure out if I could do them for a craft activity for my kids at school (4-5 year olds).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Have you guys noticed that alot of things from that time are coming back now?  I keep coming across things in the store and I'm flooded with memories from childhood and the teen years.  And the kids now all think that they are new!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Take Care.
DARE TO DREAM
Kricket

Postby Eileen » Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:33 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Hmmm I must have been half asleep during the 80's, I dont't recognize most of these things, However like someone else said about the streamers on the handlebars...that goes back to the 40's, of course I never had them...that was soemething that the city kids had on their bright and shiney new bikes...I used an old hand-me-down from my brother, but it got me from point A to point B  lol and yes I do remember M. Jackson when he first was added on to the Jackson Five...cute little guy...don't know what happened there!!!!#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#But hey I was in my 40's for most of the 80's so I guess that is why I dont relate to a lot of that kid stuff and the kids tv programs. Look at what I missed  lol   #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby *rickie* » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:51 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#I remember nearly all of those things! #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Thanks for the flash back!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Oh, one thing no one mentioned......the TV show  "The Racoons" Does not one remember that???#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#I remember that, and of coarse all the other ones mentioned, and more, but the names of them are just escaping me right now.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#BT, I have a pogo in parents shed too! I saw it in there a few years back, and was DUDE......COOL!! and then my nephew looked at me like I was from another planet! hahahaha......I showed him how to use it, but he didn't quite get.........poor guy!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Oh.....and what about those stupid hoola-hops that would coun't how many times your holla-ed??? I always wanted one of those...but my parent wouldn't get me one.....they said a skip-it was enough!  :(   hahahaha#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Oh and I hear ya about the jellie bracelettes....once I heard about that I was turned off to say the least! Way to make a good thing bad! #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Other/8.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Hey...does anyone remember having the jellie shoes??? My parents always refused to buy me a pair, but all my friends had them.....I was so jealous!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Oh the memories!!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
I'm the proud new owner of a Fez! hahahaha
*rickie*
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Ashfield » Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:50 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Growing up in the UK in the seventies I used to watch  Camberwick green, Trumpton and Chigley....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you did ...a quiz ...what comes next#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Pugh ,Pugh , Barney , Macgrew, Cufbert, Dibble............#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I recently went looking and found a greta website with soundbites of Windy Millars windmill and all the songs#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Great thread#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ashfield
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Piaffing » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:39 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh yea I remember a lot of that stuff. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Frogs in a basket. Oh, one jumped out, grab that frog.
EC Level 1 Coach, ARIA Level 3 Dressage Coach, C Level Pony Club Tester
http://piaffing.blogspot.com/
www.dressagelife.com
Piaffing
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Hev339 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:26 pm

Rickie -- definitely had the jellie shoes, they were my FAVOURITE
growing up!! I think I wore them until they were literally worn out
beyond repair. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
hmmm...also remember the Racoons...other shows I remember? #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Under the Umbrella Tree, Today's Special, (Racoons)...those were my shows when I was growing up, anyway. :D #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Hev339
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Previous

Return to The Lounge