Life in the 80's

Talk about anything that catches your fancy, not necessarily horse-related. Just sit back, get comfortable and chat with friends.

Moderator: EC

Life in the 80's

Postby Hev339 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:15 pm

I got this email and just had to share...reminds me of my childhood. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
So...can anyone else relate??#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
You know you grew up / raised kids or even lived through the 80's (or early 90's) if...#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
1. You've ever ended a sentence with the word "PSYCHE!" #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
2. You've watched the Pound Puppies#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
3. You can sing the rap to "The Fresh Prince of Belair." #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
4. Girls wore biker shorts under their skirts and felt stylishly sexy.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
5. You yearned to be a member of the Babysitter's Club and tried to start a club of your own.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
6. You owned Strawberry Shortcake scented dolls.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
7. You know that "WHOA!" comes from Joey on the television show Blossom.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
8. Two words: Hammer Pants. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
9. If you ever watched "Fraggle Rock." #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
10. You had plastic streamers on your handle bars, and playing cards on your spokes for that incredible sound effect.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
11. You can sing the entire theme song to "Duck Tales."#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
12. It was actually worth getting up on Saturdays to watch cartoons. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
13. You wore a side ponytail.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
14. You saw the original "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" on the big screen...and still remember their names. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
15. You owned a Cabbage Patch Kid.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
16. You had to lie down on your bed to do up your jeans. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
17. You wore stonewashed Jordache jeans and were proud of it. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
18. L.A. Gear...need I say more? #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
19. You know the profound meaning of "WAX ON, WAX OFF..."#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
20. You wanted to be a Goonie.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
21. You wore fluorescent clothing. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
22. You can remember what Michael Jackson looked like before his nose
fell off and his cheeks shifted...and you have a red jacket with
zip-off sleeves. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
23. You have pondered why Smurfette was the only female smurf. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
24. You took lunchboxes to school...and traded Garbage Pail kids in the school yard.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
25. You remember the CRAZE, then the BANNING of slap bracelets.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
26. You remember hypercolour t-shirts.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
27. You thought She-ra and He-man should hook up. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
28. You owned a pair of Jellies. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
29. After you saw PeeWee's Big Adventure you kept saying, "I know you are, but what am I?"#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
30. You remember "I've fallen and I can't get up." #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
31. You remember going to the skating rink before there were inline skates.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
32. You got seriously injured on a Slip and Slide.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
33. You have ever played with a Skip-it or pogo ball.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
34. You remember Popples....#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
35. You wore EIGHT pairs of scrunchie socks over tights with high-top Reeboks. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
36. Boom boxes...#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
37. You watched "Gremlins." #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
38. You know what it meant to say, "Care Bear Stare!"#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
39. You thought Doogie Houser was hot. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
40. Alf was your favourite creature from another planet. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
41. You remember New Kids on the Block when they were cool...and don't flinch when someone refers to them as NKOTB. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
42. You knew all the characters and their life stories on "Saved By the Bell," the ORIGINAL class.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
43. You know all the words to Bon Jovi - SHOT THROUGH THE HEART.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
44. You just sang those words to yourself. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
45. You remember watching Magic vs. Bird.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
46. Homemade Levi shorts!#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
47. You remember when mullets were cool. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
48. You still sing "We Are the World."#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
49. You tight-rolled your jeans. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
50. You remember "Where's the Beef?"#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
51. You had big hair and knew how to use it. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Hev339
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby lifeafterracing » Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:46 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#OMG...the memories.  I was older than a kid in the 80's but could relate to a lot of the descriptions.  I laughed when I got to #44 because when I read #43, I started singing the song.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Edited to correct typo#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
lifeafterracing

Postby Chisholm » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:50 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yep I remember quite a few of those, and I was definetly an 80's girl.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby xena_n_joss » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:15 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I remember lots of those! I was only born in the 80s though. Actually this past weekend and the prior weekend they played the gremlins on the scream channel haha.... gizmo is soooo cute!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby graciespook » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:43 am

lifeafterracing wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#OMG...the memories.  I was older than a kid in the 80's but could relate to a lot of the descriptions.  I laughed when I got to #44 because when I read #43, I started singing the song.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Edited to correct typo#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Me too....lol.."shot through the heart, and you're to blame, darlin' you give love a bad name"#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby babytigger » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:06 am

graciespook wrote:
lifeafterracing wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#OMG...the memories.  I was older than a kid in the 80's but could relate to a lot of the descriptions.  I laughed when I got to #44 because when I read #43, I started singing the song.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Edited to correct typo#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Me too....lol.."shot through the heart, and you're to blame, darlin' you give love a bad name"#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#LMAO - hmmm..i did the exact same thing!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i rememeber all of those....being born in 77, yes, i totally grew up in the 80's...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#anyone else watched punky brewster to cartoon?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby zooka » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:58 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#hehe yup I'm an 80's child...  and Fraggle Rock is out on DVD now lol#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby babytigger » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:26 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#oh oh...or the jelly bracelets, the first time round...before they meant some evil nasty things....like now.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#or, beads on safety pins on your shoes - you know? friendship pins!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#and fyi..i still have a pogo ball - it's in my mums garage, now my kids & my nephew use it, lol! "mum!!! #ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl#what#ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl# #ed_op#EM#ed_cl#is #ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl#this#ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#/EM#ed_cl#?"#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby BarnBratCSA » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:26 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#haha, that's so funny! I LOVED my jellies! And I must admit that I sang "Shot thruoght the heart" in my head! hehe.  I was born in '84, but I remember most of those! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
BarnBratCSA
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Hev339 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:49 pm

Also sang "Shot through the heart." #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
And JELLIES were very important to me in my childhood. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
BT--hilarious about the pogo ball!! lmao. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Hev339
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby babytigger » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:52 pm

#ed_op#P#ed_cl#
Hev339 wrote:#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#BT--hilarious about the pogo ball!! lmao. #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#you wanna know something else that is funny....i saw it and went "OMG!!!!!!" so i jumped on it right away & started pogo-balling around the kids.......they thought i was nuts, but they caught on quickly how to use it.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby tbbrat » Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:01 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#FONT size=2#ed_cl#10. You had plastic streamers on your handle bars, and playing cards on your spokes for that incredible sound effect.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We did that in the 60's!#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/4.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#FONT size=2#ed_cl#22. You can remember what Michael Jackson looked like before his nose #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#fell off and his cheeks shifted...and you have a red jacket with #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#zip-off sleeves. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I remember him from when he was about 12 years old - same as me!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#FONT size=2#ed_cl#23. You have pondered why Smurfette was the only female smurf. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've pondered that many times. #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Thinking/1.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons - for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
tbbrat
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Ruth » Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:06 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, I was in high school in the '80's so a lot of that stuff, I remember hearing about it but didn't have. I was a little old for the Smurfs even. I do remember my younger brother watching them though. As far as I'm concerned, it was the '70's cartoons that made getting up early Saturday mornings worthwhile. Scooby rocks, it was when they brought that interloper PITA Scrappy into the show that it all went downhill.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Fraggle Rock was not quite as good as the Muppet Show, but I would still watch either even today!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Hev339 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:55 pm

babytigger wrote:#ed_op#p#ed_cl#
Hev339 wrote:#ed_op#br#ed_cl#BT--hilarious about the pogo ball!! lmao. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/p#ed_cl##ed_op#p#ed_cl#you
wanna know something else that is funny....i saw it and went
"OMG!!!!!!" so i jumped on it right away & started pogo-balling
around the kids.......they thought i was nuts, but they caught on
quickly how to use it.#ed_op#/p#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl##ed_op#/div#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#img src="richedit/smileys/Happy/8.gif"#ed_cl# lol...yes, that is even funnier. LOL. 
Hev339
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby BBelleTB » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:20 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#OMG thats so funny!! My bf (who just turned 30 and is 6 years older than me!!) and I were just talking about 80's stuff and how much the sat morning cartoons SUCK now!! ha ha#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Punky brewster, popples, cabbage patch kids... where are today's children without them?? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And what about Jem??  No one can forget about Jem. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
BBelleTB
Groupie
Groupie

Postby babytigger » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:23 am

BBelleTB wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And what about Jem??  No one can forget about Jem. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#OMG - i so did forget about Jem!!!!!!!!! ha ha ha...jem & the holograms wasn't it! lol.........hilarious...the 80's rocked!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby babytigger » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:28 am

BBelleTB wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And what about Jem??  No one can forget about Jem. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#OMG - i so did forget about Jem!!!!!!!!! ha ha ha...jem & the holograms wasn't it! lol.........hilarious...the 80's rocked!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby xena_n_joss » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:49 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#
Code: Select all
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I stole a popple backpack when I was really small lol. We were in some paint store and they had a kids section for playing and when we left my mom didnt notice that I had brought along something extra. I was like 4 I think. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Sodapoppers » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:56 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#LMAO!! Total nostalgia. I had a pound puppy(was obsessed with dogs when i was young)a cabbage patch, and a popple too...LMAO Xena that is too funny about your popple! #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#I sang the BJ song too...haha ...too funny...#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#Also what about Rainbrow Bright and Astro Boy? I used to *love* them and still watch astro boy nwo :D#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby babytigger » Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:33 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#OK SP - we get it (you post whore ! #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/13.gif"#ed_cl# geesh - you're as bad as dee & GS!!)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#lol...yes i remember rainbow brite - i had her & the horse (of course), starlight....oh, and naturally my little pony!! which is now being "re-released" i guess, as my 3 yr old has a few!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#oh, and saturday morning cartoons suck now! i used ot watch shows like "the gummi bears", "thundercats" & "transformers" - awesome!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Next

Return to The Lounge