Eileen how did your property in Florida fair after Wilma

Talk about anything that catches your fancy, not necessarily horse-related. Just sit back, get comfortable and chat with friends.

Moderator: EC

Eileen how did your property in Florida fair after Wilma

Postby Chisholm » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:54 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Eileen from what I gather Wilma must have hit your area in Florida as well.  How did your property fair in the storm?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hope you didn't loose any of those lovely palm trees you have on the property.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Wild to think just this past March I was in many of the places that got hit by Wilma.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby graciespook » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:38 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm curious to hear as well? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby babytigger » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:07 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#yes eileen - what's going on......#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby Chisholm » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:25 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Bump to make sure Eileen sees this. LOL#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Brianna » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:39 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#8000ff#ed_cl#From what I've read and seen, Wilma did quite a job on the Ft Lauderdale area, and parts of the east coast as well. Now she is moving north, apparently about to merge with Alpha (and another storm??) to create the first Nor'Easter of the season in New England.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#8000ff#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#8000ff#ed_cl#Hopefully Eileen is ok and doing well...#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#8000ff#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#8000ff#ed_cl#My area, about 20 miles south of Tampa was not hit too badly. We had tropical storm conditions, lots of wind and rain. No damage at all to my house or anywhere that I went yesterday. It was very windy all day yesterday, but Wilma had cleared our area by noon...so most of the wind I guess was due to the cold front that pushed Wilma south. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#8000ff#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#8000ff#ed_cl#Mom and I went to the beach last night and nearly got blown away, lol. We found some interesting shells, and I had my Nikon loaded with B&W film, I haven't gotten it developed yet, but hopefully I got some good stuff. Interesting markings in the sand - and tons of lobster traps and buoys had been washed ashore.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Brianna
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Eileen » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:29 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Well I called down there last night and talked to one of the neighbors....she lost a lot of her trees.  She kept her horses at home this time and it is a good thing that she did.  The place where she would have moved them too lost the roof to the stable.  So she did the right thing there.  However many of the trees that she did loose were around the corral and hit some of the fences and of course the horses could have gotten out but instead the stayed around but mingled in each others pasture....hey were could they go...they were probably as confused as the people. #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Apparently there were close to 300,000 people with out power when I talked to them.  Many trees down but I think most of the ones that you are talking about Chis were Cypress trees that blew over and the palms and pines are still standing I think.  There were trees across the road and no one was allowed in Naples during the storm.  There was no damage that I know of on the houses or vehicles in the area.  Just one more time that we have been very lucky with the weather.  #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Just imagine...I should be down there in about 3 weeks....then it is clean up time.  #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Chisholm » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:09 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Wow Eileen glad no serious damage was done.   Well I hope the clean up goes well.  I remember the ice storm, we were cleaning up years afterwards.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby graciespook » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:09 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thats good Eileen...at least there was no serious damage, just some clean up to do! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby BTDT » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:19 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hey Brianna, I was down in St Petes (bay side) when Wilma came through.  Yup it was Windy.  I flew out on the Monday AC flight out of  Tampa .. what a ride that was .....  green, green, green.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Great weather up until Friday though.  Boy, I don't think it could have gotten any more humid on Friday.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I was staying at my friends who have a modular home near the Gateway Mall and I have to tell you ... it felt like I was lifting off for OZ only Totto was at home :)  I'll take bricks and concrete any day of the week.  I took our rental car back to the airport on Friday afternoon instead of Monday so that it was their problem if Wilma came farther up the coast than expected.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Wish I had time to do a walk on the beach Monday ... sounds like a great photo opportunity.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
BTDT

Postby jax » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:59 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Glad to hear that you made out okay with the weather.  And hopefully in 3 weeks all of the storms will be done with and you can enjoy (once you do the clean-up).  Very glad to hear your neighbours horses are all okay.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My parents are heading down there right now - should arrive Saturday.  The people that were looking after their place called and told them that all was well, so they were glad to hear that.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<b>Practice makes progress</b>
jax
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby babytigger » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:27 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#well, glad this one wasn't such a terrible diaster are the previous couple were. glad to hear everyones alright &amp; nothing major by way of damages!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#good luck to those cleaning up &amp; heading down there(aren't you glad you don't go at this time of year eileen#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#!!)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby Eileen » Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:36 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Yes I am glad that I dont have to leave just yet.&nbsp; There is so much to do here before leaving...insurance, winterizing the farm, feed and hay for the horses all bought and stored for the winter.&nbsp; Storing the machinery and batteries.&nbsp; Early Christmas shopping.&nbsp; Getting the Farm books up to date so that I do not have all that to do when I get back home, because I arrive sometime in early Apr and that would be a real hassel.&nbsp; But I do want to be down there and settled in before the American Thanksgiving.&nbsp; I dont want to be caught in traffic for that.&nbsp; #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#I did get an offer from a friend of mine to follow them down as far as Tn where she is going to be trying out a couple of gaited horses for herself and she wants someone to accompany her out on the trail.&nbsp; This will be a new way of doing things, sounds interesting and I get to do some riding besides.&nbsp; Then if she happens to purchase a horse I can truck it down to Florida for her since her trailer will already have a horse and a motorcycle in it.&nbsp; lol....I did some changes today in the trailer to accomodate a horse if I had to.&nbsp; We will see....#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Return to The Lounge