New Brunswick!!

Talk about anything that catches your fancy, not necessarily horse-related. Just sit back, get comfortable and chat with friends.

Moderator: EC

New Brunswick!!

Postby goldendryad » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:00 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm interested in a job that's in Saint Johns, New Brunswick. Does anyone on here live there or know someone who does? What's it like there? Is it affordable? What is the horse community like? How much would it cost to get a horse out there?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby graciespook » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:11 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Its St.John (sorry, if I don't say it now, I'll mix St.Johns and St.John!) Equine Canada is having their convention there. From What I hear, its more industrial then a fun touristy sort of town. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Kaleena » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:12 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I lived there (Saint John) for 2 years, when I was in grade 9 & 10.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Its really nice there. The cost of living I know is less than where we live in Ontario (north of toronto). Not sure if its less than where you are. I took my horse from Ontario out there and back again. I found my trailering guy because I found the barn I wanted to board at and they told me about a guy who does runs for brood mares from Saint John to Ontario, and I *think* farther west. He picked her up on his way back from one of his runs and only charged us $500. He even held her at his farm for a week for us so that I could be at the new boarding barn when she got there free of charge. He took her back to Ontario for us for the same price two years later. I'll see if I still have his number floating around...it was almost 8 years ago now though.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You should definitely concider this job if you like the sounds of it. The people and attmosphere of New Brunswick and Saint John is great. My dad wants to go back so badly lol, he plans to retire out there eventually.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And yes its Saint John, New Brunswick ( the Saint vs St. is also very important to the people there too!)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'll add more later....at work right now :P#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Easter » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:41 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I also lived near #ed_op#U#ed_cl#Saint #ed_op#/U#ed_cl#John for three years. We lived in Quispamsis, a suburb of Saint John. A lot of people find the city smelly because of the pulp and paper mill, but I never did. I guess it all depends on where you live. I learned to ride at the Rothesay Pony Club (owned at the time by the Oland's - makers of Moosehead!) and loved every minute I spent there. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would move back there in an instant, or anywhere else in the Maritimes.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Easter

Postby Kaleena » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:51 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#This is where I kept my mare when I lived in Saint John. #ed_op#A href="http://www.jorrock.com/Jorrock.html"#ed_cl#Jorrock Stables#ed_op#/A#ed_cl# . Great place, loved my time there. Lots of trails with a lake to swim in. The barn was about 10min from the heart of Saint John. You will need some sort of transportations because as much as I can remember there was no public transit to outside the city (and yes 10min gets you outside the city). I'm too sure sure about the private horse barns and boarding because I only boarded at this one place...I did travel around to other barns for shows and I found the distance between those barns a lot farther than what I was used to here. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hmm..what else...Saint John is I guess a bit industrial because of the Pulp and Paper mill, but it has its share of city things just like any other city. The harbor area is very much a touristy area plus a place many locals go on sundays for the fish market etc. I wasn't old enough to truly experience the city on my own when I lived their but there were lots of things to do and see while we were there. One of my favourite was visiting the Irving Nature Park on the Bay of Fundy, its a large nature reserve where you can go hiking or drive around the edge. Lots of wild life to be seen. I love Puffins! lol. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'll see if I can scan you some pictures sometime tonight.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Kaleena » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:55 pm

Easter wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I also lived near #ed_op#U#ed_cl#Saint #ed_op#/U#ed_cl#John for three years. We lived in Quispamsis, a suburb of Saint John. A lot of people find the city smelly because of the pulp and paper mill, but I never did. I guess it all depends on where you live. I learned to ride at the Rothesay Pony Club (owned at the time by the Oland's - makers of Moosehead!) and loved every minute I spent there. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I went to school at Harry Miller Middle School and then to Rothesay High! We lived just outside of French Village :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#One of my good friends while there rode at the Rothesay Pony club before coming to Jorrock...Amy, can't remember her last name now lol. I used to LOVE the one of the Olands horses Bijou, the black, saw them compete a few times.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby babytigger » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:57 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i think any chance you get to explore this vast country of ours is worth it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#hope you parle francais well though!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby Easter » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:55 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#actually Saint John is mostly English, from what I remember - it's when you get closer to Moncton that being bilingual will really be helpful.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Easter

Postby Kaleena » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:47 am

Easter wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#actually Saint John is mostly English, from what I remember - it's when you get closer to Moncton that being bilingual will really be helpful.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Agreed...none of my family spoke french at all! Well, except for the french my brother and I took in highschool lol. There are of course French speaking pockets and small towns. We used to drive back and forth from Ontario and found that most of the compeletly French speaking communities were on the western side of New Brunswick, close to Quebec. Most of the other places that we visited while in New Brunswick were generally very english speaking. There is a high demand for bilingual speaking indviduals though, so if you are then that is a definite plus!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Return to The Lounge