xena's learning polish!!! hehe

Talk about anything that catches your fancy, not necessarily horse-related. Just sit back, get comfortable and chat with friends.

Moderator: EC

xena's learning polish!!! hehe

Postby xena_n_joss » Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:32 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ya, im a freak and im bored, its rotten out. Last night I decided, after thinking about the movie horses and stuff from the thread about the new movie dreamer... That I would see how long it would take to train xena in polish. So I lunged her last night, we only did walk and trot. But she started getting the hang of the polish words really good!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So she will be bilingual lol. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have read that horses do not respond to english as well as other languages like german and stuff. So im just going to give her polish commands. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby *Giddy Up* » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:21 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#That's interesting- do you know why they do not respond as well to english?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've always found it amusing when people speak to their pets in different languages- my one friend and her mom speak to their dog in French (they are from Quebec) and my other friend speaks to her dog in Hungarian. It's cool. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby xena_n_joss » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:52 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#well I have once read a research artical about it. Apparently all animals respond better to european languages because english is so flat and monotone, and languages like german and polis ect have more veriation in the words, so basically it is easier to understand. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#ex: trot in polish is "wok" which looks like  its pronouced walk kind of, but its actually said like vaaa"UL"k ... hmm its hard to pronouce it in typing... lol but the UL sound it pronouced really sharp though... all from one little word Wok! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have no idea if it is true or not lol, but she seemed to catch on very fast, but it was something that she is used to doing on the lunge so that probly helped. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Cheryl » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:04 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My parents once adopted a dog in Ottawa from the pound.  Nice dog, didn't see seem stupid but didn't do a word they said.  Then my Dad got a flash of insight and told him to asseyez (sit in french I hope).  Big relief on the dog's face as the dog sat.  Poor dog didn't understand a word they were saying to him.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Cheryl

Postby graciespook » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:16 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Whoa doesn't work for my guy. If I purr, he'll slow down no problem, it works much better..I've seen some Germans do that, but its a comforting soft long noise, so I guess he responds better to that??#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby xena_n_joss » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:02 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#ya I do the purr thing too when im asking her to slow down. My coach is german and I learnt it from her, she trains her horses in german though. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby BarnBratCSA » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:46 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#When I was doing a lot of western, we would always cluck to trot/jog and make a kiss noise to canter/lope.  My mare was so obviously broke that way, and it's hard to break her of it.  On the lunge, that's the only way she'll canter, but I'm ok with it.  She gets a little lazy with my w/t kid, so it's nice that no matter how much she clucks, Abby will just trot faster :) #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
BarnBratCSA
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Ruth » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:40 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My darling Dudley dog was bilingual, she was originally an English-speaking dog, but we spent some time living in Quebec and she learned more French than I did. I have no facility for languages other than English.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#When I first got Boomer "Good boy" also seemed to mean "Whoa".#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby graciespook » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:49 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#LOL Ruth....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My horse also goes when I kiss...the noises I make whilst lunging are very interesting to say the least!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby *Giddy Up* » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:53 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#GS- I don't use the purr, but when I want a downward transition I say "aaaand walk" and I notice it's not the walk that she repsonds to- it's the aaand. I do think it is the tone of the word, opposed to the word itself- which could be why european words work better in this case, like Xena said, they have more flucuation in the sound. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby *Giddy Up* » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:53 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#GS- I don't use the purr, but when I want a downward transition I say "aaaand walk" and I notice it's not the walk that she repsonds to- it's the aaand. I do think it is the tone of the word, opposed to the word itself- which could be why european words work better in this case, like Xena said, they have more flucuation in the sound. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Eileen » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:19 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl#The clucking and kissing sounds brought a funny incident back to me....lol  years ago my sister who had not ridden all that much since she was a kid decided that she would like to get on again...just around the barn or something.../..o.k. she had the horse walk around the work shop a couple of times and decided it was time to venture into a higher gear, so I gave he the cues, cluck for the trot and kissing sound for the canter...ok she says...off she went around the buiding,,,she clucked for the trot and it worked great...now she was going to get into a canter as she left my sight...then she appears, he is still trotting and she is making a kissing sound..."smaking her lips together and sucking in air...no pucker at all...flat lips that sounded like a baby tasting candy for the first time...I laughed, I think the horse was trying his best, but did not know what she wanted.  lol#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby zooka » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:45 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#that is cool Xena let us know how it works#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby babytigger » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:11 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#my sisters BF's dog understands polish, but that mostly what they speak in his house having emmigrated here from poland about 10 years ago...his mum barely speaks english. my sister has learnt a bit of polish as well!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i've ridden horses that responsed so well to voice cues, but terriblly to the actual riding cues...it's kinda funny....now i wonder - i don't think you can make those kissy noises in the dressage ring can you! lol....could you see cindy ishoy or tom dvorak doing that during their competitions ....LOL!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby xena_n_joss » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:37 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#actually I think it was Belinda Trussell who told me to try humming to xena, even if your in a dressage test. I guess it helps calm the horse and its something the judge wont hear unless your right near them#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My grandma is polish and she lives with us also so its easy access to learn some words haha#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Ruth » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:26 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You are deducted marks for use of voice in a dressage test, so make sure the judges cannot hear you. You even get marked down for use of voice when your horse is trying to buck you off at the opposite end of the arena from the judge, and you don't remember actually saying anything.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby *rickie* » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:16 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#I know what you mean about English being very flat sounding. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#I have made my lunging and training words sound VERY different, than my usual speech. Everyone makes fun of the way I talk to my horses when I'm training them. I put BIG accents on parts of the words, and it all depends on what I'm asking for.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#When I'm asking for an upward transition, it's TER-ot (accent with the caps) and when I'm asking for a downward transition I always add ING to the end of the word, and make the end of the word lower so it would be "ter-o-ting" pronouce very low, and then getting lower. The my whoa is VERY stern and deep sounding, as well as sharp. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#My horse is so into all of this, that I can get him to lengthen or shorten his stride with just the way I say the same word. MANY people are just baffled by it, but to me it's normal.....as much as they make fun of me, I won't change! Mind you, I put the wrong accents on words all the time, and am made fun of it, so it's not like it's anything new for me! hahaha#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Best of luck with it xena, let us know how she catches on!  :)#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
I'm the proud new owner of a Fez! hahahaha
*rickie*
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Return to The Lounge