New York City..what to do?

Talk about anything that catches your fancy, not necessarily horse-related. Just sit back, get comfortable and chat with friends.

Moderator: EC

New York City..what to do?

Postby fusspot » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:57 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Does anyone have any 'must do' suggestions for NYC. I will only have a day or so of free time and want to make the most of it. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have booked horses for a ride through Central Park. Is there anything else horsey such as tack shops?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Did the sightseeing cruise, Macy's, Ground Zero last year. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
fusspot

Postby jax » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:11 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Never been, but what is that big toy store there?...FAO Schwarz?  That's where I would go, just for a kick.  I think it's on Fifth Ave.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<b>Practice makes progress</b>
jax
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Ruth » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:34 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've been a few times, but it was because my best friend's dad used to live in the South Bronx, so my NYC experiences&nbsp;were not particularly touristy. We did walk through Times Square and visited Chinatown, but usually it was more family type of stuff.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Actually the first time I got drunk was in NYC at a friend of her dad's wedding.#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Other/6.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Judy F » Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:57 pm

horsey stuff?&nbsp; Have you visited the Clairemont Riding Academy yet?&nbsp; Definitely a must-see.
To ride well is the mark of a gentleman. To ride too well is the sign of a mis-spent youth. Athena the owl in "Outfoxed" by Rita Mae Brown.
-- Distrust any enterprises that require new clothes. EM Forster
Judy F
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby zooka » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:02 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#hmmm I have not been in ages but as a kid I remember going to a tack shop right downtown and it was a VERY high class tack shop where one would spend major $$$$ on anything!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby graciespook » Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:52 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Wow you have the ride booked?? That sounds like soooo much fun! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby babytigger » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:52 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#hmmm..dunno...never been to NYC, just NY state!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#sounds like a blast though!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#where's barnbrat ??- she lives in upstate new york - i'm sure she could offer some horsey ideas for NYC though!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby jax » Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:42 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#They just had this on MSN...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://newyork.citysearch.com/roundup/40464?brand=msn&amp;ulink=msnsplashtop10showcity_0_citylist_66_0_0_roundup_0_1"#ed_cl#http://newyork.citysearch.com/roundup/40464?brand=msn&amp;ulink=msnsplashtop10showcity_0_citylist_66_0_0_roundup_0_1#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<b>Practice makes progress</b>
jax
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Trufflemaker » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:14 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#A friend told me that the NYC horses "know" that the ride ends after once around the park... maybe better bring your spurs and a crop! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
"No one can teach riding so well as a horse."
C.S. Lewis, "The Horse and His Boy"
Trufflemaker

Postby graciespook » Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:44 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Very cool Jax....now I want to go! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby fusspot » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:24 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks everyone! Jax, great link I will definitely check out some of them. I also did the Central Park ride last year and we rode from Claremont Riding Academy to the Park via some very busy city streets. The horses are absolutely bombproof; my biggest worry was keeping my toes from knocking the side mirrors off the jags, bmw's, volvo's that were parked on the street. And yes, the horses know when it's time to go back to the stables, that's why they send you out with a crop.&nbsp; #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//laugh.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
fusspot

Postby *Giddy Up* » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:05 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Whoa, I didn't even see a tack shop down in NYC! I was there this past April for a band trip- so we did touristy things- but no horse things...oh, if I had of known! lol.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The Empire State Building was cool- a long wait to actually get up there, but it's cool to look out over the city. The Brooklyn Bridge was also cool. We walked over that, there are spots where you can sit and look over the city- go at night, when everything is lit up. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If I were to go back, I'd have to go see Phantom of the Opera (oneday I'll see it...). #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Just came back...

Postby My_horse_is_fat » Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:41 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I just came back from a mini holiday in NY city. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The tack shops are freakishly expensive to be sure! But I did the Central Park ride from the Claremont Riding Academy. The poster who mentioned that the horses know the ride ends after one turn round the park were completely right! lol! But riding through the cars and traffic in downtown Manhattan IS something else!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It was ok, but the "academy" (I use that term lightly here) left a bad taste in my mouth due to the awful teaching and riding I saw while there. They might be&nbsp;in a ritzy area, but that certainly didn't mean they knew what the heck they were doing!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Have fun if you haven;t already&nbsp;gone already!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Cheers#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#FatHorse&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
My_horse_is_fat
Groupie
Groupie

Return to The Lounge