ugggh foiled again by the drive test lady

Talk about anything that catches your fancy, not necessarily horse-related. Just sit back, get comfortable and chat with friends.

Moderator: EC

Postby Dee22 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:12 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Chenders - Parallel parking is not something I use a lot, but definetly at some points here and there I have NEEDED it. What happens when your in a busy city and the ONLY place to park is on the road? To top it off, lets say you've travelled someplace new that's busy and you have to park on the street... now you also have a unfamiliar place which tends to frazzle you a little more. There have been a few times where I've abosolutly HAD to park on the street during rish hour traffic and if you take too long people start to get really ticked off... basically I'm just saying that the majority of people will need to know how to parallel park at some point in their lives... it's just a good skill to have :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I never did have to parallel park in any of my drivers tests though. I learned with Young Drivers but the most they ever asked me to do in a test was a three point turn.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#BT - I remember during Young Drivers thinking how I would never need any of this crazy stuff they were teaching me... I remember thinking "I will never remember this when it comes time to use it!"... My teacher used to take me to a parking lot, make me sit at a stop as if I were stopped in traffic, when he said "GO", that meant that someone was about to rear end me and I had to hit the gas and swerve onto the shoulder... I NEVER thought I would remember that quickly enough if it were to happen in real life. One May 24 weekend some friends and I were coming home from camping in Sable Beach. I was driving and stopped in a LOOOONG line of traffic. There was a car behind me that I guess wasn't watching ahead of him and didn't see everyone was stopped, he just kept cruising along... I happened to check my rear view just in time, hit the gas and went onto the shoulder completly avoiding being hit from behind... I was amazed that 4 years after I'd learned that maneuver I remembered it! LOL I'd never used it before that and I haven't since... but I'm now a beleiver! ;) LOL#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Dee22
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby pmc » Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:35 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Is it just me, or is anyone else even slightly horrified at the thought of masses of previously flunking drivers flocking to rural bureaus that are more lenient, getting their licenses and then coming back and driving in the big, bad city?  #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Shocked/5.gif"#ed_cl# #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley2.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
pmc
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Ruth » Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:41 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Nah. I can't believe that the rotten, rude drivers in the GTA all got their licences by going to a rural area to be tested.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And many of the city drivers don't have a clue when it comes to driving in winter conditions. I'm glad that I learned to drive in Bracebridge in February. It's not that hard to drive in urban areas in Ontario. I wouldn't want to try NYC or London, England ! My boss just got back from Italy and he will tell you at length that when they say not to drive in Rome they are not pulling your leg.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#In Xena's case she doesn't live in a big urban centre anyway.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby babytigger » Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:55 pm

pmc wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Is it just me, or is anyone else even slightly horrified at the thought of masses of previously flunking drivers flocking to rural bureaus that are more lenient, getting their licenses and then coming back and driving in the big, bad city?  #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Shocked/5.gif"#ed_cl# #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley2.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#hmmm..i went to the 'Shwa so i could get a sooner test! lol.....they weren't more lenient & i do believe that both times they asked me to parallel park...fun! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#and as for learnign to drive  - i learned to drive in the dead of winter in T.O, but we also wnt to the wilds of pickering & tackles some streets like plug hat rd & old bear rd - have fun on those in the snow! lol!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#dee - i know!!!!! i thought exactly the same thinig....i won't use this. i've had to use the gravel shoulder recovery a few times (once becasue an idiot coming head-on tried to pass a car while clealy not paying attention to how much space he had, or looking for oncoming traffic (me!!) -it's great that this stuff still works & that you remember how to do it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby EatMyDust » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:55 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ughhh... Im doing young drivers right now...AND I HATE IT! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have learned nothing, except how to do a 3 point turn and a lane change, and Ive had like5 lessons...I HATE IT!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
EatMyDust

Postby *Giddy Up* » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:58 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have my G2- and I had to parallel park- everyone that I know has had to- it's what they do in Hamilton- however, USUALLY they ask you to do it in the parking lot at the driving center (they have a little roadway thingy set up there where they get you to do your 3-pt. turn and parallel park). #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would really get some lessons- they are helpful.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yeah, I think I've attempted to use my parallel park ONCE- in T.O. But I was so worried about being in everyones way (traffic was coming and waiting for me) so I rushed it and screwed it up...darn. I'd have to go back and practice now- doubt I could do it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But the key with the parallel park is knowing the markers on your car. My driving instructor had a sort of set of instructors that you follow everytime. Drive up beside the car until you are equal with the front wheel of the other car, back up straight until the car disappears out of your back window, then turn the wheel 2 full rotations (whichever direction you're going) until about the corner of your car becomes parallel to the sidewalk (this is where you have to judge accordingly to your car- my driving instructor had markers set up in the car that we could judge this with). And then turn the other way like crazy until you back up, and then move forward as needed. Atleast I think those are the steps...but if you practice, do it behind one car, don't go between two cars yet.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yeah, I guess they could fail you if traffic is piling up behind you- because that is dangerous, someone can get rear-ended- which does suck for you. I agree, that's not a good place to test. I had a friend of mine who was asked to parallel park behind an imaginary car- on a curve. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Re: ...

Postby Ruth » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:55 am

*Giddy Up* wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have my G2- and I had to parallel park- everyone that I know has had to- it's what they do in Hamilton#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Uggh, no kidding. It's also the only place I've ever had a parking ticket. To anyone who's never been to Hamilton, they have the most bizarre parking rules ever. You can park on this side of the street overnight when the moon is full but not on Thursdays that have an even date, etc. You have to be very careful to read all the signs and fine print. You can also get ticketed for parking too far away from the curb.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I was once parallel parked on Bay St., I had parked a little too close to the car ahead of me, but they had lots of room in front to get out, however by the time I went to leave someone else had parked too close behind me, so I methodically bounced off that car's front bumper until I got out!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby *Giddy Up* » Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:28 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Luckily, I've never run into a parking blunder like you have Ruth. But a friend of mine was parked down town somewhere and got a ticket because apparently she was in a no-parking zone, although she swore that the sign said you couldn't park only on the other side of the sign.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh  yeah, and even if it's in the midddle of summer, you can't park in a snow route! lol. That makes me chuckle...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby goldendryad » Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:46 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Wow, you Easterners are strange!#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/19.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#In SK we have to: parallel park, do 2-point turns, lane changes, 4-way stops and lots of turns. As well as highway driving.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Parallel parking is mandatory, I had to do it twice when I went for my license. On top of that I had a stray dog run out in front of me and an old lady drive on the wrong side of the street coming towards me during my test. Good thing she turned into a parking lot before she came to close to me. That was one stressful drivers test, but I got my license!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The only thing that scares me would be those crazy 8-lane freeways in big Ontario cities...oh and the Deerfoot in Calgary during rush hour - those crazy Calgarians with road rage!#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Shocked/5.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Just practice a lot, with a really experienced, calm driver. I'm sure you'll get it. Just make sure you're totally ready and give yourself mini driving tests before you go.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Ruth » Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:49 pm

goldendryad wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Wow, you Easterners are strange!#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/19.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Nah, it's just Hamilton! My relatives are all near St. Joseph's Hospital - one set in the nice Aberdeen area, then my sister who is in a rather seedier neighborhood near the Corktown#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Shocked/5.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So whenever I'm down there it's all street parking, the neighborhoods are both older than automobiles and not built with them in mind, and the parking rules are truly strange. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The 8-lane freeways are no biggie. Plus you're only dealing with 4 lanes at a time, not all 8 at once! I found driving around Cleveland a little more intense, but I'm sure if I lived there I would get used to it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby draftdriver » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:42 am

Ruth wrote:<DIV>The 8-lane freeways are no biggie. </DIV>

No Biggie :shock: ! The last time I was on 401 in TO, I had such a death grip on the steering wheel that my right arm went numb! I was being passed on the right; I was being passed on the left. And I was travelling at more than the speed limit at the time! My life flashed in front of my eyes! Nope, the 401 is not the place for the faint of heart.
draftdriver
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby babytigger » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:55 am

draftdriver wrote:
Ruth wrote:&lt;DIV&gt;The 8-lane freeways are no biggie. &lt;/DIV&gt;
#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#&nbsp;Nope, the 401 is not the place for the faint of heart.
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i agree DD - if you can't handle the 401, please do not drive on it!! on the other hand, i find it easier &amp; safer to drive on the 400 series hwys...no traffic lights, no pedestrians, no left turns or right turns, rarely are there "sudden" stops.....ahhh....just driving, no other BS to think about really.....statistically, it's safer to drive on the 401 that say in your neighbourhood (i'm talking city here folks, not rural in the middle of no where neighbourhoods). yes, the crashes are worse, but that's because of the speed &amp; number of vehicles involved, so they are more "spectacular" that say the wide number of accidents that happen every minute on the city roads.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby Ruth » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:16 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I agree, BT, I take highways whenever possible. My SO drives me crazy because he isn't comfortable driving on them (won't admit that either, because that would be acknowledging that I am the better driver!), and takes goat paths everywhere. As a result, I almost always drive. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Not me, I'll take the 407 if I think the 401 will be busy, and I do avoid the Friday afternoon 400 crush in the summer by taking back roads, but that's about it. I will say you do have to pay a lot more attention to what you're doing on the 401 or QEW than some others, but doesn't put me off driving on them.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Previous

Return to The Lounge