Great Expectations (the pregnancy thread for everyone!)

Talk about anything that catches your fancy, not necessarily horse-related. Just sit back, get comfortable and chat with friends.

Moderator: EC

Postby Kricket » Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:49 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#LOL!!  I hear ya!  My son, 3, is addicted to Dora too, and now to Diego.  And my daughter, 1, turns around whenever she hears Dora's music!  At least they are learning something while watching!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Take Care.
DARE TO DREAM
Kricket

Postby stronghold » Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:10 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl#Boy, this thread has taken off!  I was expecting 4 or 5 replies...#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl#Easter (and everyone else who's expecting), have you made your plans for delivery?  Things like pain relief etc?  I refused to have an epidural even though I ended up having to be induced.  Three weeks early, my water broke then nothing happened, so we had to have the whole induction thing.  I tell you, that sucked big time!  Seven hours of full strength contractions every three minutes.  I was soooo tired, I asked them to turn off the drip for a half an hour so I could have a nap, and they said they couldn't do that, but I did have a shot of  morphine.  That let me doze 1 1/2 of every 3 minutes, so when it came time to push, I was feeling much more rested.  Which was good because dear, sweet William was "sunny-side up" and took two hours of pushing and turning to get him out!  But no forceps or vacuum required.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl#But what really surprised me was how UN-painful it was.  Giving birth was not in the top 5 most painful things that have happened to me.  (Top ten, maybe,  #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/5.gif"#ed_cl#)  Let me think about my list...#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#OL#ed_cl##ed_op#LI#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl#Having a horse fall on me, resulting in brusied knee cartillage and bruised ribs as well as bursitis in my shoulder,  was WAAAAAYY worse#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/LI#ed_cl##ed_op#LI#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl#Tennis elbow treatment, deep cross-fibre friction to the tendons in your elbows#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/LI#ed_cl##ed_op#LI#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl#Leg cramps, especially the ones during pregnancy#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/LI#ed_cl##ed_op#LI#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl#Acute full body arthritis brought on by an allergic reaction to antibiotics  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/LI#ed_cl##ed_op#LI#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl#Chinook headaches (migraines caused by rapid changes in barometic pressure) #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/LI#ed_cl##ed_op#LI#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl#Ovarian cysts#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/LI#ed_cl##ed_op#LI#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl#Partially torn achilles tendon#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/LI#ed_cl##ed_op#LI#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl#Car accident and whiplash and resultant ongoing muscle spasms#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/LI#ed_cl##ed_op#LI#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl#Infected sutures after having William...#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/LI#ed_cl##ed_op#/OL#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl#I guess giving birth sneaks in at #10!   Having a baby was hard work, but not the worst pain in the world.  I guess knowing that it has a purpose and a positive end point make it more emotionally bearable, too.  Attitude is everything! #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<strong><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><font color="red"> In Loving Memory of Buzzing Pride
"Floppy"
April 3, 1978 - September 13, 2005
~~Champion, Teacher, Friend~~

>
stronghold
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Kricket » Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:37 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#To that I cannot relate.&nbsp; I was induced, twice, with #1 and nothing happened.&nbsp; So I ended up having a c-section which was a good thing 'cause as it turned out, his shoulder was wedged on my pelvis.&nbsp; For #2 we ended up scheduling another c-section when we realized that she was pretty big too (no idea she was as big as she ended up being though!).&nbsp; The recovery from the 1st section was pretty horrible, but they think that they bruised most of my organs trying to pull him out, so I guess that's why.&nbsp; The second one wasn't nearly as bad (although it was painful for&nbsp;5 or 6 days!)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Take Care.
DARE TO DREAM
Kricket

Postby Megan Ball » Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:40 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#SH your nuts!!!! No epidual!!!! Wow! No way ever ever ever would I ever give birth without one when I have it availble to me!!!! It is a godsend!! I tried to hold out to 5-6cms before asking for it, but when they had to break my water, it was all over for me!!!! I tried the whole tub thing, hoping that it would help, but I was in and out in 10 minutes!!! I had to have my little girl vaccummed out of me after 4hours of solid pushing. The next baby should be faster(but when it's faster it's usually more painful), but easier to push out since now my pelvis has experianced 1 birth(although since I broke my pelvis last year we'll have to see). I have to say that childbirth is the most painful thing I've ever experianced, so this will be the last baby. Hubby gets gelded(hehehe) after this baby is born.&nbsp;We figure since I have to carry and deliver 2 babies, he can endure a couple weeks of uncomfortableness.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rocket - TB
Kenzie - Arabian
Peanut - pony
Toffee - Welsh x pony
Whisper - Spotted Draft
Megan Ball

Postby *Giddy Up* » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:31 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#MB- You never know, your child may end up being really quiet. I was like that when I was young, I used to give my mom headaches because I wouldn't shut up! Now I'm really quiet- I don't say too much, and I'm pretty shy. So there's hope.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#SH- Well, I suppose that's one thing to look forward too- there is worse pain out there...lol. My aunt tried to explain to me as a "good" pain. But I suppose if you think about it like that, it is, because it's a baby. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby xena_n_joss » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:12 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#wow... my dream is to have the edidural when I have a baby lol... I dont know how you did is Stronghold... But good for you. Its good to know its doesnt hurt so bad as it looks. I guess it would be a good pain, but with something to make you feel better then I would rather feel better. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think it would be kind of fun to be pregnant, if it was the right time. You get to wait and wait for your baby. Babies are so cute, my neighbour is a foster parent and when I baby sat for her she used to get alot of new borns... like day old babies... how CUTE is that! I remember one she had was kind of fuzzy, she said he might have been a bit premature... But man was he even cute and snuggly. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby ~Cnigh~ » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:51 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#Hmm, I have had one with and one with out an epidural.&nbsp; Believe me when I say I preferred the epidural.&nbsp; #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#I miss breast feeding.&nbsp; I really enjoyed the closeness that only you share with your babies.&nbsp; Sometimes I long for another baby.&nbsp; But I realize that its JUST that, I want a BABY not a child that will grow up.&nbsp; Sounds kind of wierd, but its true.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#I love my boys, but I can't say I'm enjoying the 5 - 10 yr old stage all that much.&nbsp;&nbsp;#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
To ride or not to ride................?
What a stupid question!!!
~Cnigh~
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Easter » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:58 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Stronghold - we are going in with an open mind re: pain management. If I get to the point where I want the epidural, then I will get it, but if it's tolerable, I'll go as along as I can to not get it. We'll see. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Megan - have you read Girlfriend's Guide to pregnancy? It's really funny and she tells it like it is. One thing I liked was that she said they don't give out awards when you give birth. It's ok to get an epidural (just like it is ok not to get one), but the nurses just want to get a happy healthy baby out, and don't care if you do it with drugs. Puts things into perspective! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Easter

Postby stronghold » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:02 pm

Easter wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Stronghold - we are going in with an open mind re: pain management. If I get to the point where I want the epidural, then I will get it, but if it's tolerable, I'll go as along as I can to not get it. We'll see.
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl#Easter, this seems like a very good place to be, you make your decisions as they come up.&nbsp; However, you may want to consider contingency plans in case things don't go quite as planned (ie. you end up under general anesthesia).&nbsp; Things can happen fast, and you may find something going on that you are not totally comfortable with.&nbsp; Write down anything you are certain you don't want to happen (except when there is no other option and it is required for lifesaving purposes), and give copies to EVERYONE there.&nbsp; I only stipulated that no erythromyacin eye ointment be used (I am VERY allergic) and that because I was going to breastfeed no formula/pacifiers be given at all.&nbsp; All the rest I had my preferences, but not millitant opposition to.&nbsp; But the nurses sometimes "forget" that this is YOUR baby, and they just take over because they have done it soo often, and you are on your first.&nbsp; #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#
Easter wrote:Megan - have you read Girlfriend's Guide to pregnancy? It's really funny and she tells it like it is. One thing I liked was that she said they don't give out awards when you give birth. It's ok to get an epidural (just like it is ok not to get one), but the nurses just want to get a happy healthy baby out, and don't care if you do it with drugs. Puts things into perspective! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl#Actually, they do give out awards, THE BABY!!!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<strong><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><font color="red"> In Loving Memory of Buzzing Pride
"Floppy"

>
stronghold
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby stronghold » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:39 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl#Just an update:&nbsp; We went for our routine ultrasound on Thursday, everything looks good, except I have to go back next week because baby wouldn't show it's face and back of it's spine for pictures...&nbsp; Hopefully it will see fit to show off this time!&nbsp; Not that I don't love seeing the ultrasound pics, it's just such a big ordeal getting William to Grandma's, and getting to the far end of the city for the appointment.&nbsp; It's a whole day project.&nbsp; #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl#The tech did see what sex baby is, but I asked her not to tell me.&nbsp; It will go into the doctor's report and I am trying to decide if I want to find out or not.&nbsp; Jack doesn't want to know, but I really do .&nbsp; I'm just worried that I will slip up and spoil the surprise for him if I do find out...&nbsp; It's funny, it doesn't matter to me if it is a boy or a girl, I just want to know ( I am a rabid Christmas present shaker, too...#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/6.gif"#ed_cl#)&nbsp; But Jack thinks it should be a surprise, the old fashioned way in the delivery room.&nbsp; #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl#What do you guys think?#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
"Floppy"

>
stronghold
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Megan Ball » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:02 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I like to know cause of clothes and decorating a room and all. Also the whole big-if it's a boy the circumsion thing. Big issue!! Plus for names it's a good one. When I found out what we were having for our first and we decided on a name for her, then we didn't refer to her as "the baby" it was "Alex this and Alex that".#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rocket - TB
Kenzie - Arabian
Peanut - pony
Toffee - Welsh x pony
Whisper - Spotted Draft
Megan Ball

Postby graciespook » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:10 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would find out with the second one. Its a great surprise, but at the same time, you need to prepare! :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby babytigger » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:30 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#if i was to have another one....i'd find out for sure.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i've read the girlfriends guide to pregnancy - hilarious book, even if you're not prego!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#as for meds, etc ...sorry folks, both mine were pretty natural........esp #2. the first one, i had such vicious back pain (to which the doctor said "you're too young to have back pain", so my mum (ah, good ole mum) lashed out at him " she's played football, hockey, works with horses along with riding them, swimming, competitive divingm, gymnastics, etc etc - DON'T TELL HER SHE'S TOO YOUNG FOR BACK PAIN!!".....i got a shot for what was it - nubaine? for my back ah...relaxation, mildly. but i never got an epidural - they got it hooked up, but not turned on in time.....baby was born in under 4 hours form start to finish, and that was induced labour.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##2...contractions &amp; back pain started at about 3:15pm..got to the hospital just before 4pm &amp; was already about 5 cm dialated. baby was born at 5:51pm........no time for meds - it went to fast, and the docs said it wouldn't have helped with the pain because it wouldn't have taken effect quick enough, or something........so nothing at all for #2.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#oh, and SH - yes erythromyacin is evil stuff - i'm seriously allergic to it too.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby stronghold » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:13 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl#Jack is trying to make a deal with me to not find out.&nbsp; I am thinking that if he doesn't want to know, fine, but I think I will ask.&nbsp; I know that&nbsp; it is not a 100% certainty, that lots of people were told one thing and poof, babe is born the other, but I still want to know if it is a boy or a girl...#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
"Floppy"

>
stronghold
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby graciespook » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:31 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would too! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Kricket » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:41 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I didn't for the first, although I just "knew" that it was a boy, and it was.&nbsp; I did for the second.&nbsp; I wanted a girl so badly that I didn't want to be that tiny bit sad (for&nbsp;a split second only of course) in the delivery room if it had been another boy.&nbsp; I'm glad I found out (it was a girl) although you are right that there is no guarantee, even when they think that they are certain.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you really want to know, I say go for it.&nbsp; Then just keep a really good secret!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Take Care.
DARE TO DREAM
Kricket

Postby graciespook » Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:42 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thats what I want when I have a baby Kricket..is a girl, I just want at least one! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Megan Ball » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:17 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We found out what #1 was, but I always knew she was a girl. We wanted a girl as well, but I just knew. As for this baby, I had this dream that this ones a boy. I only had the 1 dream about it and I woke up just after the crotch shot! So I'm thinking this ones a boy, but we'll find out if I'm right and the dream was a message or if I'm wrong and the dream was just a dream!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rocket - TB
Kenzie - Arabian
Peanut - pony
Toffee - Welsh x pony
Whisper - Spotted Draft
Megan Ball

Postby Kricket » Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:00 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I had dreams about both babies when I was pregnant too, Megan, and both times they were right!&nbsp; Something about mother's intuition I guess.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Take Care.
DARE TO DREAM
Kricket

Postby Megan Ball » Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:14 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#That's what I say too. My hubby thinks that I'm just hoping for a boy and should just wait,but I still slip around him sometimes and say boy or he/him!! Personally a boy would cause a MAJOR fight, but having 1 of each would be nice, so hubby isn't totally outnumbered!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rocket - TB
Kenzie - Arabian
Peanut - pony
Toffee - Welsh x pony
Whisper - Spotted Draft
Megan Ball

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge