Flu shots

Talk about anything that catches your fancy, not necessarily horse-related. Just sit back, get comfortable and chat with friends.

Moderator: EC

Flu shots

Postby Ruth » Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:46 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Who gets them?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# I never have in the past but am considering it this year because my asthma, while now back under control (or at least it was until I got this stupid cold#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Angry/1.gif"#ed_cl#) is much worse than it has been. I'm kind of thinking that if I got the flu and then got pneumonia on top of it, that coupled with asthma it might not turn out too well for me. Is the vaccine covered by OHIP now for non-seniors? I think so, but am not sure.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've not bothered with it before because I haven't had the flu in 10 years, and wasn't at much risk for complications. Even though I've had asthma for awhile it was pretty mild up until the last year.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby tbbrat » Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:57 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think most communities have free clinics for flu-shots.  I went to one in Cambridge last year, never even had a sniffle (until the summer when I had three hellacious colds #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/3.gif"#ed_cl# every two months).  Anyway, check your local newspaper, they should be advertised there.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons - for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
tbbrat
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby babytigger » Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:19 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#nope never bothered.....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby Kaleena » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:16 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I started getting mine when I went to live in residence for University. Most communities do have free flu shot clinics. While the flu doesn't pose a huge risk to my age group even if I were to get it (which I never have and don't know anyone who has had it) I choose to get the shot so that I have a better chance not to pass it on to people who it may pose a higher risk  or fatal risk to (ie young children, my grandparents, people with immune deficiencies etc).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby draftdriver » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:20 pm

Yes, most communities have free flu shot clinics. To find one in your area, google "(name of county) health unit". when you get to the health unit web page for your area, you should be able to find a link for the flu shot clinics. I think with respiratory problems, you would be in a higher-risk category if you were to catch the flu. Good for you for thinking ahead about this.
draftdriver
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Eileen » Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:22 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#I cannot remember that last time that I had the flu...that does not mean that I will never get it....My main concern is a cold...it has been about a year and a half since I last had a major cold...I find that right now I am fighting a sore throat...that is a bummer...I knew I should not have ridden in that wind and cold on Tuesday...but you know...gotta do it.  lol #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#I just wish that there was such a thing as a vaccine against a cold....then I will be the first in line.  #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby zooka » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:59 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I got the flu shot this year for the first time because it was mandatory for the program I am in.  Every other year I did not get it and never really had a problem.  The flu shot only fights certain strains of the flu and there are so many different types out there that you could still get it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Ruth » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:01 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yeah, I know the flu that went around last year wasn't included in the vaccine. I luckily didn't catch it, in spite of the best efforts of our patients to give it to us. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Judy F » Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:39 pm

I'm asthmatic and my GP started giving me the flu shot a couple of
years ago.  It gets me through the winter.  My housemates get
the flu every year and it skips me.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
She also gave me a pneumonia vaccine shot.  It's a one-time deal,
no annual boosters.  My colds now terminate in a week with no
long-lasting hacking coughing spells afterwards.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Highly recommended!#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
To ride well is the mark of a gentleman. To ride too well is the sign of a mis-spent youth. Athena the owl in "Outfoxed" by Rita Mae Brown.
-- Distrust any enterprises that require new clothes. EM Forster
Judy F
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Judy F » Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:40 pm

I'm asthmatic and my GP started giving me the flu shot a couple of
years ago.  It gets me through the winter.  My housemates get
the flu every year and it skips me.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
She also gave me a pneumonia vaccine shot.  It's a one-time deal,
no annual boosters.  My colds now terminate in a week with no
long-lasting hacking coughing spells afterwards.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Highly recommended!#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
To ride well is the mark of a gentleman. To ride too well is the sign of a mis-spent youth. Athena the owl in "Outfoxed" by Rita Mae Brown.
Judy F
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby xena_n_joss » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:08 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I had it once a few years ago because they were doin it in highschool, but I got sooo sick right after, it lasted over a week. So I ahavent gotten it since and strangly enough I havent got the flu again. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Ruth » Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:37 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#That pneumonia vaccine sounds interesting! That's what I'm actually worried about, more so than the flu itself, it's the possibility of secondary infection. Perhaps I will ask my doctor about that.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yeah, Xena, I must say I am a little concerned about side effects.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby xena_n_joss » Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:52 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#lol ya, me too, thats why I havent got the shot again. I cant afford to get sick for that long again. I think I had heard alot of people get sick from the shot. But then some people it doesnt affect at all. My mom never has had a problem with the shot, I think she is supposed to get it beause she is at a school.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Gemina » Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:34 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've been getting a flu shot for several years. I can't remember when I last had a cold. Even while I was working and even though my hubby gets them. Seems I'm immune to colds. However, I did get a pneumonia shot last year and didn't I get pneumonia! Got it right after the holidays and think I just ran around too much and got myself run down. I didn't have a cold, sore throat, cough just woke up one morning and couldn't stand up. Results a trip to emergency and an overnite stay. My grandchildren were visiting.  #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley19.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Gemina
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Judy F » Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:11 pm

#ed_op#font size="4"#ed_cl##ed_op#span style="font-style: italic;" class="postbody"#ed_cl# My grandchildren were visiting.  #ed_op#img src="richedit/smileys//smiley19.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/span#ed_cl##ed_op#span class="postbody"#ed_cl##ed_op#span style="font-weight: bold;"#ed_cl#That will do it!  Kids germs are lethal!#ed_op#/span#ed_cl##ed_op#/span#ed_cl##ed_op#span style="font-style: italic;" class="postbody"#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/span#ed_cl##ed_op#/font#ed_cl#
Judy F
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Leena » Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:31 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I will get one on friday. I am a very high risk with my blood disease. To tell you the truth, I am scared that this might affect me. I am not very strong but doctor is telling me influenza could kill me since I don't have an immune system very very strong.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Leena#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Leena
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby graciespook » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:38 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Don't agree with the flushot---with all the new strains, whats the point? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby babytigger » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:44 am

graciespook wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Don't agree with the flushot---with all the new strains, whats the point? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#bang on GS - heck, there's more flus coming out this year than i've ever heard of!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby graciespook » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:13 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Exxaaaccttlllyy....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#(I just had a flashback to when Homer simpson was auditioning to play Mr.Burns in the movie for the film fest..and instead of saying "excellent" he said "Exactly"...sorry, brain fart) ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby stronghold » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:17 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl#I will never miss out getting the shot again!  The one year I didn't get the shot, I was sicker than I had ever been in my life!  I was bedridden for two weeks, missed nine days of work (retail at Chrismas, I was NOT popular!) lost 17 lbs, and was weak for literally months afterwards.  I was only an hour away from being hospitalized for dehydration, until I found I could keep teaspoons of Pedialyte down.  And the worst part was, I gained back all that 17 lbs as sooon as I was better!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl#If you get sick right after the shot, it isn't from the shot, you were just exposed before your body had time to make it's own antibodies to the viruses contained in the vaccine.  That takes 10 to 14 days.  So it is better to get your shot sooner than later.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl#Not to mention, incubation for influenza is less than 48 hours.  Big lag time there...#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl#As far as getting a different strain is concerned, there are only three strains included in the vaccine each year, and they have to decide which are going to be the likely culprets six months in advance so they can manufacture the vaccine.  If they guess wrong and you get a different strain, oh well...  But the vaccine DOES boost the immune system in general (primes it for other invaders) , and even if you end up getting the flu of another strain, it will be less severe than it might have been otherwise.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<strong><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><font color="red"> In Loving Memory of Buzzing Pride
"Floppy"
April 3, 1978 - September 13, 2005
~~Champion, Teacher, Friend~~

>
stronghold
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Next

Return to The Lounge