Mad is not the word!

Talk about anything that catches your fancy, not necessarily horse-related. Just sit back, get comfortable and chat with friends.

Moderator: EC

Mad is not the word!

Postby Lix » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:58 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#There are HUNTERS on our property!#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Angry/2.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We found their little set up yesterday when walking in the bush.  They have built 2 tree houses in our trees (albeit perhaps this was before we moved in ) but we know they have been hunting recently because there were fresh apples stuck on the ends of twigs and sticks right around their stupid little tree houses.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It's easy to tell it's private property.  You can't access it from anywhere unless you go into someone's back yard and through farmer's fields.  There is fence around most of the property (albeit one of the sides is run down barb wire), and our "lot" is mostly all bush.  Around this bush, there is mostly farmland.  So someone has to go through the farmers field to access our bush.  It is IMPOSSIBLE for anyone to figure this is public property.  Rather, we think this may be the case of a neighbour just hunting on our land, figuring we'll never know the difference. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Why this makes me mad???:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#UL#ed_cl##ed_op#LI#ed_cl#I despise hunting.  I hate the idea.  I like waking up on the morning and seeing the deer in the field.  I don't want them threatened when they are on our property.  As for what people do on their property, that's none of my business, but stay off mine.#ed_op#LI#ed_cl#I don't want to feel unsafe walking in my OWN bush.  We have DOGS.  Brown dogs!  And I don't want to have to worry about anyone getting accidentally shot!  I will have horses there in the future, right along this bush.  I don't want hunters ANYWHERE near them.  #ed_op#LI#ed_cl#Liability!  What if one of these hunters injures themselves?  Falls off his tree hut or shoots himself in the foot in the bush (or would that be so bad *evil smile*.)  He's on my property, I can be liable!#ed_op#LI#ed_cl#May seem little but LEAVE my trees alone!  Our bush is still severely damaged from the ice storm.  I don't need anyone breaking more trees and using the healthy ones to build their little tree huts.  #ed_op#/LI#ed_cl##ed_op#/UL#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#We don't have any signs up - yet.  I did read in the hunting regulations and the Trespass Act that the hunters must ask for permission when it's private property - always.  If it's not indicated, then they are not allowed to hunt until they inform themselves of who owns the land.  I am so fuming.  #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Angry/3.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby graciespook » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:33 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'd put up signs, as also put a letter into their 'treehouses'. Let them know why you're angry, reiterate what your rights are as a property owner, and warn them that they must vacate or you'll take legal action. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Lix » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:42 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#That's a good idea about the letter gracie. And yup, we'll be getting signs.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#When we saw the first treehouse, we just figured, "whatever, it's probably been here for a few years" and we climbed up and sat in it for a bit.  Then, we came down and kept walking and saw another.  This time, we saw apples set up all around and realized they were still being used.  My boyfriend managed to rip that one down (it's the smaller of the two).  Hopefully that gives a message.  #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Angry/5.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm so upset over this.  Some people are so gutsy!  #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Angry/6.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby chenders01 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:01 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Lix, it's possible that the previous owners of your place DID give these hunters the permission to hunt on the land, and they maybe don't know that the property has changed hands.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What I would probably do, is visit the owners of the farms that surround your property and tell them that you don't want any hunting done on your land, and will be putting up signs.  I'd also ask them to remove whatever treehouses they've built  (I'm assuming that since the hunters can only access your land via the surrounding farms, the hunters are either the farmers themselves, or they are people that the farmers know).    #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'd be inclined to give these people the benefit of the doubt.  Who knows, maybe they've been hunting on your land for years and just don't know that the land has changed hands and is now NOT open for hunting.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby jax » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:08 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Get some "Private Property", "No Tresspassing" or (and they sell these) "No Hunting" signs and put them up in front of the trees.  They sell these signs at hardware stores.  I would do that as quickly as possible, and then on the weekend, try to find their route in and put more signs on the fences that they are hopping to get onto your property.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<b>Practice makes progress</b>
jax
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby babytigger » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:23 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#geesh - you think you find your little peace of heaven......#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#well, i'd be inclined, as chenders mentioned, to speak to the owners around you first...perhaps they know who it is? i would surmise that if they've built hide-out treehouses (jerks...#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Angry/5.gif"#ed_cl#) than they've been doing this for a while......so the old owner probabaly gave them the OK, or they didn't even know (!!??). at any rate, that would annoy the hell out of me as well......get some signs as jax mentioned, speak to the other property owners...and i'd make patching up any fence holes, access routes, etc a priority to keep the buggers out! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#(fyi....i hate hunting as well, so i can well imagine how this must have made you feel!)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby graciespook » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:30 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Its not that I hate hunting. My SO lived in a remote fishing village where they hunted ducks, seal, fished, etc to survive, as most of them salted and canned them for the winter, and its very expensive to buy groceries back there. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Our family hunted deer and to some extent, it keeps the population down and the roads safer. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I agree Chenders, they may not know, but the point is they should ask permission every year. When we moved out to the country (this is some years ago), they came and asked persmission, as they did every year in case the ownership was changed. Kinda hard to talk to them if you don't know who they are. And I'd be leary of wandering into the bush when they're holed up with rifles. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby draftdriver » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:32 am

I know how you feel. I've had people hunting on my property without my permission. I agree with what Gracie said. Also, you don't have to go to the trouble of buying signs, which can get expensive. All that's needed is a white square with a red, filled-in circle on it (the circle should be about the size of a tin can lid). That's the symbol for no trespassing. You might be able to make these out of stuff you have at home already.
draftdriver
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Lix » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:51 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I guess on this particular topic, I'm not really tollerant to ignorance being an excuse.&nbsp; I agree that if they want to use they land, they should ask permission every year.&nbsp; And our house was for sale for 8 months.&nbsp; Surely, the neighbours&nbsp;would have noticed this! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks for the ideas though ladies.. ;)&nbsp; I want to do something about&nbsp;this asap :(&nbsp; Hopefully I can sneak out there some&nbsp;nights this week but it's getting dark so early now!&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I should probably go around and make ourselves known.&nbsp; They probably think were some&nbsp;city snobs who moved in and who don't actually go in the bush.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#DD - I read just last night about the red circles.&nbsp; I didn't know that before.&nbsp; But thanks - that's&nbsp;a good cheap and way to get the perimeter marked!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As for hunting&nbsp;-&nbsp;I don't like it - though I do understand the downfalls of overpopulation - such as moose in Newfoundland.&nbsp; But it's NOT the case in&nbsp;my area.&nbsp; I love the deer.&nbsp; I don't see it that there are too many on our roads, but rather that we have built our roads in their environment.&nbsp; I don't like hunting - I never will and as much as I won't go tell others what to do, I like to think that I can keep them safe on our land.&nbsp; As little as 55 acres may be, it makes me feel like I'm doing my little&nbsp;part.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm so upset over this.&nbsp; I'm mostly upset over the nerve of these people.#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Angry/4.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby babytigger » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:59 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i hear you lix...you can only do your part in this...and no ignorance isn't an excuse, they should ask every year, just to be safe, but......that's people for you!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#do what you can&nbsp; to look after your property, and for god's sake - be careful when you do go out there in the bush!! we don't want you ending up like a deer!! of course, once you've got signs up &amp; have spoken with people, there's no reason why that should happen at all!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby Judy F » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:30 am

Some hunters!!&nbsp; It is ILLEGAL to put out bait like apples and corn
to attract deer to a hunt stand.&nbsp; Contact the local MNR Fish &amp;
Wildlife people and ask for a game warden!&nbsp; Those so-called
hunters could lose their guns, their vehicles, and all!!
To ride well is the mark of a gentleman. To ride too well is the sign of a mis-spent youth. Athena the owl in "Outfoxed" by Rita Mae Brown.
-- Distrust any enterprises that require new clothes. EM Forster
Judy F
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby goldendryad » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:45 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Judy F and Lix have great advice (so do the others). First, contact your local conservation officer and have a talk. Second put up those signs! They're in real big trouble if they're on your land with those signs up!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Megan Ball » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:01 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I agree with the others! Put up some signs, just make your own! An old cardboard box thats cut out should do the trick! I would also tear down their other "hut" and remove all the bait. You can also monitor this area to see if they are ignoring your signs by checking on them daily. Put your signs where the huts were and by the fence where it is knocked down. That is where they are probably getting in. As well if they did get a deer, they would need to drag it out and the downed part of the fence is easiest to get through without having to lift the animal. I don't disagree with hunting, however I do have no hunting signs right on my driveway so they not even bother to ask. I would also contact the games warden and let them know that they are baiting the deer. Good luck!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rocket - TB
Kenzie - Arabian
Peanut - pony
Toffee - Welsh x pony
Whisper - Spotted Draft
Megan Ball

Postby Pretty_Pony72 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:51 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#well if your going for a walk in the woods- WEAR ORANGE!(sp?) lol you probably already knew that but my BO had a cross bow pointed 20 ft away from her. She was walking her dog- on their property and the dog had a white tail. And i guess some hunters will hear a russle and shoot. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My uncle hunts, i don't think its wrong but i don't think its right. He and his family will eat the fish, moose, deer meat..all of it and make soup stuff with the bones. Thats why i don't have a problem with it, and he's very responcible. When its wrong is when you don't get permission and kill for the sport and don't do anythin with the body. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good lukc on getting them off your property, be carefull walking out there#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Sometimes you have to trust what a horse did was right
Pretty_Pony72
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Kobau » Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:59 pm

our property is posted, NO hunting or trespassing unless express
written permission . that is on all our fence lines. We allow 2 hunters
on our bush property, it is away from all farm houses, and away from
all animals. We just have some idiots that want to drink and road hunt,
which is very illegal! I have nothing wrong with those that hunt and
use what they hunt, but those that are out to hunt, just to hunt piss
me right off!#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Make sure your neighbors now that the land changed owners, that you
don't want hunters on your land etc. and get signs up. also let DNR
know so they have a heads up an dmaybe can help you out....#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Being a mom is a wonderful job... being mom to a horse crazy lil boy means combining two things i adore!!!

Winter makes you appreciate mud in the spring!
Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Chisholm » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:08 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well yesterday I met up with my first hunter.&nbsp; Now luckily he is the neighbour that my BO has given permission to hunt.&nbsp; And he is very safety oriented.&nbsp; But he scared the crap right out of me yesterday. I was riding in the dressage ring which is right by the woods and he came out of the trail and stood by the fence waiting for me to notice him.&nbsp; Well I was coming around the corner and realized someone was watching me.&nbsp; And all I could see was his face since he was so well comaflaged(sp?).&nbsp; Luckily Chis didn't notice him till I spoke to him.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But he knows not to shot near the ring.&nbsp; And I know at this time of year never to go out hacking.&nbsp; I have to go through the woods just to get to the road.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But I don't mind hunting, in the Ottawa area we have way to big a deer population.&nbsp; But I do have a problem with the idoits that hunt.&nbsp; They are what give hunting a bad name.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby zooka » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:48 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#wow Lix I hope you get it sorted out soon.&nbsp; That is 3what always scares me when we take our dogs out into the woods.... some hunters go where ever they please and are not so safety oriented....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Lix » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:21 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks for the replies guys.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But see - that's the thing.&nbsp; I am NOT going to tell myself I can't go walking/hiking, riding whatever, just because there may be a hunter.&nbsp; They shouldn't be there at all!!!#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley5.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As for the baiting with apples, I checked on the MNR site to see if it is legal... you are right, in many parts of Ontario, it's illegal to bait the deer.&nbsp; So I called the MNR office for my area and they said that it IS legal in our area.&nbsp; :(&nbsp; As for the tree stands/huts, I'm still waiting for a call back from MNR enforcement.&nbsp; When I told the one lady that I was going to take them down she cautioned: "be careful, you don't know what kind of people you are dealing with".&nbsp; That's when she advised I speak with enforcement.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#One of our neighbours mentioned though that our immediate&nbsp;area was no hunting.&nbsp;Huh?&nbsp; #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley5.gif"#ed_cl#&nbsp;&nbsp; I'm going to look into this one and give the MNR my lot number to see if this is true.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Surely this is just some local farmer...&nbsp; I wasn't able to get back there yesterday but I'll try to run out before it gets dark tonight.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby Eileen » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:59 am

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Ell Lix, you are right about having every right to go walking on your own property in your own bush when ever you please...but just a word of caution....you do not want to be "dead right" do you?....It does not sound right....but it is real life.&nbsp; As for the lady that said to be careful, you do not know who you are dealing with in regards to the stands, she may know something that you don't , like the people that come out of the woodwork to do this hunting.&nbsp; I have nothing against hunting, however I would not be able to shoot a deer.&nbsp; but that is just me.&nbsp; #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#besides if the stands are there now, and they are on your property, why not use them for your benifit....to sit up there with a thermos and watch the wildlife wander by&nbsp; Just a though...lol#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Arcadia » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:40 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You need to either post signs or tie red ribbons around your fence line to let them know they are not allowed on your property.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Just in case you ever need to know, if hunters track a deer on to your property you can order them to leave it and get off the property.&nbsp; Once on your property it becomes yours.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Although I am not sure how much I would want to argue that fact with a dude with a cross bow.......LOL#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#In my area hunting with guns is a no-no, it must be with a bow and arrow, not that it makes me feel any better.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Arcadia
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Next

Return to The Lounge