Horse Related Novels

Talk about anything that catches your fancy, not necessarily horse-related. Just sit back, get comfortable and chat with friends.

Moderator: EC

Postby babytigger » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:56 pm

Trufflemaker wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The book Seabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand is a really good read. The movie was based on this book, but the book has way more detail and is more historically accurate. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#OMG - i'm a loser - how could i have forgotten that one!! i read it last year (earlier this year???? it's all the same now!), and still have it sitting at home...read it first, then saw the movie & the book is waaaay better!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby Ruth » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:23 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#That wasn't the first time the story of Seabiscuit was told either, I remember reading the story when I was in public school, I took it out from the library, likely in '78 or '79.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby horsemad! » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:53 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I could barely wade through "Seabiscuit" (the latest iteration)...  so slow and booooring...  of course I'm one of the few people on the planet who thought the movie was slightly worse than mediocre too.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~~ Stupid should hurt! ~~
Jimmy Wofford
horsemad!
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

re

Postby lola s » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:25 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#For the racehorse people, they would enjoy Ruffian:Burning From The Start.  Heartbreaking, but a great read.  I've read all of Jilly Cooper's `Riders' series and loved them all.  They are not suitable for the younger ones though. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
lola s
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby graciespook » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:02 am

horsemad! wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I could barely wade through "Seabiscuit" (the latest iteration)...  so slow and booooring...  of course I'm one of the few people on the planet who thought the movie was slightly worse than mediocre too.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What was wrong with the movie? I liked all the references to the world around them at the time as well. I have not yet read the book. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby horsemad! » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:48 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#There was nothing wrong with the movie... really...  it was just so hyped as being a great movie - and really it was just OK.  So I had great expectations and was disappointed that it was yet another Hollywood blockbuster type movie.  Hubby and his parents liked it...  I just thought "meh, I could have spent that 2 hours in the barn instead..."   Some of the close ups of that Spiderman dude racing were hilarious too... it looked like he was on a WalMart mechanical horse! #ed_op#IMG src="http://www.forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/12.gif"#ed_cl#  Ack... I'm just a jaded old bag... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Jimmy Wofford
horsemad!
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby graciespook » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:58 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think horsepeople are way too critical of horse movies ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby horsemad! » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:30 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Seriously... even if it wasn't a horse movie... still mediocre at best.   I just thought the script, the acting, everything... just OK... not all it was cut out to be.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#jaded jaded jaded#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Jimmy Wofford
horsemad!
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Gemina » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:31 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My favourites are" Horse Heaven, Rider, Seabiscuit and, of course, Black Beauty. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Gemina
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby graciespook » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:39 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh horsemad...lol....I thought they could have found someone better to play the part that Jeff whatshisface played..I'm not a big fan (you know? The guy who was in the mirror has two faces?)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I loved Black Beauty though..the movie was very heartwarming. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Azalee » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:03 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anyone read Riding Lessons by Sara Gruen?  I didn't like it too much; the protagonist was too self-absorbed.  It wasn't interesting reading about someone browsing the Net, either.  The sequel is out and I've heard good things about it, though.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
...........riiight.
Azalee

Postby babytigger » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:32 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#black beauty - d'uh! and to that add national velvet......excellent books.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#HM - i liked the movie  seabiscuit for what it was, a movie......and yes, horse people are too critical of horse movies (ie: the shoes on hidalgo?), but again...it's for entertainment, and not to many unhorsey people pick up these things.......#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i liked the seabiscuit book, but i'm into detailed writings esp. if it's not a "story" that i'm too familair with (yes, i'm familair with seabiscuit, but i wasn't that "informed")#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby graciespook » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:22 pm

babytigger wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#black beauty - d'uh! and to that add national velvet......excellent books.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#HM - i liked the movie  seabiscuit for what it was, a movie......and yes, horse people are too critical of horse movies (ie: the shoes on hidalgo?), but again...it's for entertainment, and not to many unhorsey people pick up these things.......#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i liked the seabiscuit book, but i'm into detailed writings esp. if it's not a "story" that i'm too familair with (yes, i'm familair with seabiscuit, but i wasn't that "informed")#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Shoes on Hidalgo?? I never noticed?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Previous

Return to The Lounge