Gypsies, tramps and thieves

Talk about anything that catches your fancy, not necessarily horse-related. Just sit back, get comfortable and chat with friends.

Moderator: EC

Gypsies, tramps and thieves

Postby Ruth » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:50 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, Lix has hunters on her property, I think I have tent city starting on mine. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#One night the first week of October I had come in the house for supper after doing chores and went back out to feed the horses. The two foals come in overnight so I like to leave them out as late as possible,  this was 9ish. I walk into the barn and see that 3 or 4 flakes of an old bale of hay have been moved from beside the wall about 4 feet closer to the door and are in the middle of the aisle, one blue glove is laying beside my grooming caddy and the other is MIA. OK, that's weird, but I think maybe the racoons were in looking for cat food and there was a skirmish. Doesn't make a lot of sense because they flakes looked like they had been picked up and put down, not pushed or sent flying through the air. Leah was still getting some beet pulp at this point and our pump/tap is around a corner, so that is where I find the other glove, but the hose has been disconnected from the tap, there is no way you can pull it off accidently, it has to be turned and it is difficult, so I guess someone grabbed the glove in order to undo the hose without hurting their hand. The next day I noticed that my riding gloves were gone completely.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Last week there was one day where someone had been in the barn and one of the fields and another day where someone had been in the barn - I could tell because of how the bolt was shot, and how the gate was done up.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Then on Saturday Draygonfyne came to pick up her horse's blankets (I didn't get any of my horses sold so I unfortunately had to kick her horses out#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Sad/10.gif"#ed_cl#) and couldn't find one of hers, and I was suspicious about the location of one of mine, I went looking and sure enough there are 3 blankets that are missing, one small one, a stable blanket and a turnout. Luckily they didn't take any of the expensive blankets, these were all old hand-me-downs, but still, I'm a bit creeped out. I think I'd feel better if I knew it was just the first incident, but I really don't like that this seems to be reoccuring and I'm not sure what to do about it. I figure someone took them to sleep under, if it had been someone specifically after horse stuff I don't think they would have passed up the Bucas Irish and the Weatherbeeta in favor of the patched old things they did take.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby EatMyDust » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:13 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#WOW! Thats reallly creepy!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Is your town known for like homeless people and such?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
EatMyDust

Postby AQHAgirl » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:25 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would be setting up camp inside my barn or getting someone to check on my property throughout the day if I had to be at work.  Or I would be borrowing someones watch do and putting him in my barn.  i would considered putting all the valuable things locked away in a sfe place before the more expensive things go missing.  Or better yet set up a video cam(hidden somewhere) to catch whoever it is on tape!!! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Helen Thomson ~ In riding a horse we borrow freedom

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
AQHAgirl

Postby Pony Hunter » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:18 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Creepy!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Can you lock your tack room?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Pony Hunter

Postby zooka » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:34 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#wow I would get some kind of survielence because that is not good.  I would not stay there yourself because you do not know who you are dealing with...  Hopefully this gets sorted out soon!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Megan Ball » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:42 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would call the cops and let them know of the theft(s) and let them know that you be putting out survallence. Definatly get some tapes!!! You never know that if they are brave enough to take the "small" items, they might get braver and try to rustle some of your horses!! Plus you don't know what these people are doing...are they on drugs? if so they might do serious harm to you or your property! Definatly call the cops!! People are wierd these days!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rocket - TB
Kenzie - Arabian
Peanut - pony
Toffee - Welsh x pony
Whisper - Spotted Draft
Megan Ball

Postby Chisholm » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:18 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would lock things up and get the cops in to investigate.  Gee where are the CSI guys when you need them. LOL#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Eileen » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:35 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl#This sounds serious, not that any damage or valuables that you know of have been taken but there is potential....I s there a surrounding bush that some homeless people could be living in tents or what ever or some low rent homes nearby....I would not confront these theives by yourself.  Surveilence tapes is a good idea, and notifying the authorites is also a must, they may be able to give you some good advice on how to handle the situation.  But by all means get things started before more goes missing .  Good luck....hope you find the culprits. #ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Piaffing » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:24 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'd be setting up camp either in the barn or somewhere near with a phone in hand.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Frogs in a basket. Oh, one jumped out, grab that frog.
EC Level 1 Coach, ARIA Level 3 Dressage Coach, C Level Pony Club Tester
http://piaffing.blogspot.com/
www.dressagelife.com
Piaffing
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby graciespook » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:07 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Very serious business..I agree to call to cops, or as someone suggested, a dog in the barn that will put up a big noise if someone visits. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As for visitors? We have mice everywhere. They are unsuccessfully trying to move into the house. The dog plays with them, the cats eat them, but its starting to get annoying! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby tbbrat » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:32 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Never mind a dog - get some geese!  They'll set up a racket if any strangers show up and some can be quite aggressive towards strangers too - if I was a guy and there was a large bird with beak coming at me at groin height, I wouldn't stick around!  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#That is a very creepy situation - hope you get it sorted soon.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons - for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
tbbrat
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Eileen » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:39 am

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl#I agree about the geese and the dog either or both might work for a while...even leaving the light on in the barn with the radio playing....but I doubt it would be a long term fix, these culprits would clue in and have ways of getting around that little inconvenience....like wait till no one was around and then deal with the dog and geese under their own terms.  I think you need other means for a long term fix.  JMHO.  #ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby jax » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:44 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Holy cow, Ruth!  I would hide out in the loft or something with a video camera and a big stick.  But definitely call the police and speak to someone about it and see what they recommend to do.  Obviously you can't let this go on.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<b>Practice makes progress</b>
jax
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Dee22 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:18 am

jax wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;I would hide out in the loft or something with a video camera and a big stick.&nbsp;
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://www.forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/4.gif"#ed_cl#&nbsp;Sorry, just had to chuckle... I could see you now Jax! LOL... (red cape and all lol)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ruth, that is REALLY creepy... I would definetley look into some kind of video survelance... my friend got his car broken into a few times in his driveway. He paid $200 and got a&nbsp;little outdoor camera, hid it under the eaves above his garage... it records onto a video tape in his VCR... (you can also get them to record onto the computer)... I would be scared to go to the barn alone! Hopefully you get this all sorted out soon... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Dee22
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Lix » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:28 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ruth!&nbsp; Yikes!&nbsp; Scarrrry!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would call the police too.&nbsp; Not because I necesarily think that they will be able to do anything per se, but they might have received calls from other people in your community who have experienced the same thing!&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Also, if they are aware, they will probably drive by your house more often when out patrolling.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Video camera would be great too.&nbsp; But do call the police just to see what they have to say. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Or again, do you have lights on your barn?&nbsp; Could you just install one of those sensor spot&nbsp;lights that lights up when someone approaches?&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby horsemad! » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:42 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#This is something the police should be made aware of.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Geese, dogs,&nbsp; motion detector lights, signs that say your property is under surveillance... all good ideas.&nbsp;&nbsp; And put your stuff away - out of&nbsp;sight and locked if possible.&nbsp; UGH!&nbsp; &nbsp;You can get a motion sensor thingy that will set an alarm off in the house if the light beam is tripped - we were thinking of getting one last fall when there were horse thieves in our area.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~~ Stupid should hurt! ~~
Jimmy Wofford
horsemad!
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby horsemad! » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:43 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://www.forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Shocked/5.gif"#ed_cl#&nbsp;Or... maybe you've got ghosts!!!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~~ Stupid should hurt! ~~
Jimmy Wofford
horsemad!
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby graciespook » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:57 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ack Ghosts!! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby babytigger » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:11 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#ghosts? freaky!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#ruth -seriously take some actions &amp; precautions here...this is your stuff, your property, your horses! it's got to be protected somehow. call the coppers, and talk to them, get a motion sensor light, etc.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby graciespook » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:40 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It really feels like an invasion of your privacy when things like this happen though. I hope you can get this resolved! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Next

Return to The Lounge