One coyote down

Talk about anything that catches your fancy, not necessarily horse-related. Just sit back, get comfortable and chat with friends.

Moderator: EC

One coyote down

Postby Ruth » Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:06 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't know how many of you remember the troubles I have had with coyotes, but one got hit by a car sometime last night or this morning.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We had actually reached a uneasy truce this summer, they were not apparently coming right into the yard so therefore I wasn't chasing them at every opportunity, and in return to the best of my knowledge no foals got chased. I still wasn't pushing my luck by leaving the foals out overnight, especially little Benji who was just the right size for a coyote meal, but at least during the daytime all seemed well, and I was even wondering if the coyotes had moved on, I didn't even hear them singing as close to us as they were last summer. Not counting on it, because why they would move after living with us for 3-4 years didn't make much sense - my hollering and chasing didn't impress them THAT much.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#There were two, so I wonder if the other one will move along now, or find another mate and bring it back. I am of two minds, because there are worse things to have than coyotes, but I'd be lying if I said they didn't make me nervous, especially after trying to catch the one foal in broad daylight. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'd prefer a nice fox I think to occupy the territory.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Eileen » Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:19 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Soooo Ruth, Wiley finally got just reward from a Road Runner eh?  lol  Yes the lone coyote will probably go looking for some unsuspecting female and bring her back to his Den....dirty old man....lol #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Ruth » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:40 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/8.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/8.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/8.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/8.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Stop it, you're killing me!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Actually I think it was Mr. Coyote who k'd the b. Not sure, I didn't look that closely, but this one was bigger and whiteish, and Mrs. Coyote is smaller and browner. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby cadence » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:33 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We have trouble with coyotes too, which is the #1 reason I bring in my mini-pony for sure, seeing as how she is so old and has trouble walking - she'd never be able to get away.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Obviously, the previous person on this property had trouble with the things too, because I found an old foot-hold trap in the top pasture.  It was broken, but still made me nervous - what E-L-S-E was I going to find up there?? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The nasty buggers like to get onto the porch of our tenant's house and tease their dogs through the sliding glass doors.  So far, they haven't tried to come up onto our deck.  Our dogs sleep in crates at night (their preference) and since moving to this farm, we've taken to locking their crate doors in case Mr or Mrs Wiley decided to try to lure them away and pounce on them later.  Labs think everyone just wants to play and they wouldn't have a chance!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patience! Practice! Persistence!
cadence
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby graciespook » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:58 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ahh coyotes...We have them too, we can hear them every night, but I think the dog barking and the fact that there aren't any edible animals nearby keeps them at bay. Glad to hear you're one up on them Ruth! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby draftdriver » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:11 am

I hear the coyote chorus quite often at my place. I'm not worried about the horses -- Demi the pony and Babe the Bulgian are dog stompers -- but I have had a few cats disappear. I don't think there's any hope of them vacating the area. But I will say this -- I've had no groundhog problem since the coyotes moved into the area.
draftdriver
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby babytigger » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:22 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#the one advantage to living in the "big city" i guess! no coyotes!! big friggin racoons though......#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby graciespook » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:11 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think the worst we've encountered is all the skunks..skunks skunks skunks...I hate skunks! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby zooka » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:40 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#haha Eileen that was a good one...  if it is the female left then maybe she will go off and live with a male somewhere else.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Ruth » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:15 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Or maybe she will entice some young fella to move in. The lack of groundhogs and rabbits was the one thing I liked about having them around. Like I said I'd prefer a nice fox, though. They don't chase your foals.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Return to The Lounge