WIND AND RAIN

Talk about anything that catches your fancy, not necessarily horse-related. Just sit back, get comfortable and chat with friends.

Moderator: EC

WIND AND RAIN

Postby Eileen » Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:36 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#so I guess most of Ontario got some pretty strong winds and some rain to go along with it plus the thunder and lightening...I s there anything more exciting than a good old fashioned Ontario Electric Storm. ?  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The downer to this is that the last of the colour is all but gone now...the wind and rain fixed that.  Thankfully the temps are still doable...Has anyone out there had any damage to report.  Thankfully my area did not have the worst of the wind....Again we were lucky.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Ruth » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:31 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am at work, but hope all will be well at home.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#There was big rain this morning while I was attempting to ride and a minor thunderstorm, then it was pretty nice for a couple of hours, but the wind seems to have really picked up since I got to work. No more rain to speak of here, but who knows what is going on at home.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby EatMyDust » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:38 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I was just going to post about my morning. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#This is what happened.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So I woke up, went and feed the horses, and was watching the neighbours tube building fly up against the fence. Thankfully the horses were on the other side of the paddock, and couldnt get hurt. I was going to go over and tell them, but I saw someone over there so I figured it was ok. So I went in the barn and started to shovel manure(woot woot) and the lights started to flicker. I was like OK, its just from the rain. So I continued my work, when outta NO where, the wind picked up and the horses and goats came flying into the barn almost taking me out. So I let them have the barn and I organized my tack room. Well it was still really windy but the animals, prefer food over shelter, so they went to the hay feeder. I was still cleaning the barn, when this HUGE gust took hold of my full pitchfork and flew the straw over the resently swept barn. HUGE MESS. So we closed the big door andjust opened up the small Dutch door so the horses could still get in and I could still clean the barn. The wind was sooo bad, it kept grabbing my pitch fork when I put the pile into the bucket of the tractor. So I finally finished, brought the horses in and headed out to my riding area to find my barrels that were flying across the corn flied, and I looked over at the neighbors to see their shelter up side down in the other pasture(horses werent in it). Its a total mess around here, sticks, leaves, such a mess. So I headed up to the house and there was this banging noise, and the steele on the roof of the barn was starting to fly off...I keep watching it...its really bad here...I was almost blown away.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
EatMyDust

Postby Ruth » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:45 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I just saw a kid going flying across the parking lot on rollerblades using a garbage bag as a sail.#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Thinking/3.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby EatMyDust » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:47 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#OMG THAT SOUNDS LIKE SOOOOO MUCH FUN! Actually that was me...hehehe...j/k#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thats really funny though#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
EatMyDust

Postby Chisholm » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:49 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well we got the thunder and lightening with rain here but no major wind.  Sounds a bit exciting in SW Ontario.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Ruth » Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:06 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yep, they looked like they were having a good time!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby *rickie* » Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:28 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#it was SOO bad when I was driving out to teach a lesson. I was on the 401, it was pouring rain, and the wind was horrible. I'm doing a buck down the 401, and I'm still having a bit of a problem keeping my car in one lane...and no I don't drive a little toyota Echo! hahaha#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#So then I get off the 401, so it's better, a little less windy, and then I get past this little town, right before I'm supposse to turn off on a dirt road to the barn well holly man, my whippers are going a mile a minute, and the wind is pushing me all over the place!! I can barely see out my car.......so as soon as I get the barn, the rain stops and it's just wind.....when I went back out to leave......the one side of my car was completely clean (the drivers side, as that's  the side the wind was blowing) and my pasenger side  is just COVERED in dirt! so needless to say, my "hot car" isn't soo hot looking right now!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#So then I drive back on the 401 and then the 403, same problems.....so I get to the barn and decide it's not the best day to work with a baby....so I pick up a fork and start stalls. When I went to dumb....my hat blew off my head, and it's a ball cap....so I'm chasing my hat around the lawn yelling, "NOO....come back hat..." so I catch my hat, and keep trucking!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#I get home, the fiance, is like, "what isn't windy?? really?" so he goes out to get something to eat (I want BBQ) and he comes back, and is like, "it's scary out there......as if you drove all that way!!" hahahaha so now he understands why my hat blew away! hahaha#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
I'm the proud new owner of a Fez! hahahaha
*rickie*
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Kaleena » Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:29 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We got some rain this morning, not very heavy. Then it cleared up and was actually sunny for a bit but a little windy. The wind really started picking up around 3-4ish and it still pretty bad. Almost blew my front door off as I was trying to put the garbage out. My poor puppy was having a hard time staying on her feet when doing her buisness! I hope nothing gets damaged and we dont lose our power. The wind is so strong right now it shakes the house...eek!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby lifeafterracing » Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:41 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I feel like a character in "Winnie The Pooh and the Blustery Day" !The wind here (Richmond Hill) is steady at about 45km/hr and gusting to 70km/hr.  It isn't cold though.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#This morning we had some thunder but no lightening.  A few of the horses went out early when it looked okay.  Of course, as soon as I started mucking the thunder started to roll.  Since there was no lightening and the horses were calm and munching I thought I'd leave them out for a bit.  Then the rain started.  What a downpour!  Read:  What a mudhole!  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Of course the horses just had to roll, over and over and over and over....   You get the picture, right?  One of them has quite a fuzzy coat and literally looked as though he had been poulticed thickly all over (except his chest and where is boots were).  Even the front of his face was covered.  I didn't know whether his owner was going to burst out laughing or crying.  She laughed, hosed off his legs, let him dry some more, then vaccumed him.  He is clean now.  Of course, his coat looks as if it has been treated with a crimping iron.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
lifeafterracing

Postby maddys_girl » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:01 pm

Yes, it was pretty bad here (London). All the horses got tucked into their stalls tonight (and got some time to stretch in the arena. Even Chance...who NEVER wants to come into his stall was quite happy to spend the night in there.

I tucked everyone in for the night.....and they seemed happy they weren't getting blown away! :roll:
maddys_girl
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Eileen » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:29 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl#We in SWO have experienced high winds but no rain to speak of in my area.  I was talking to some friends in the Perry Sound area...no electricty there, so they are in the dark except for some candles and there is no heat, good thing that the temps are not below freezing right now.  I understand that the Bruce Peninsula has had quite a wind storm.  Hope things do not get any worse.#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Judy F » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:54 pm

Well, the Ottawa South area has had some really weird weather, ranging
from fabulously warm & sunny to furious thunderstorms -- 2 of the
them.  One early in the afternoon was short and quick but one a 5
pm lasted almost an hour and had strong gusts (Weather channel says 71
kmh!).  Winds was switching around the compass -- E, NNE, SW, SE,
S (for now).  Our horses are all in for the night.
To ride well is the mark of a gentleman. To ride too well is the sign of a mis-spent youth. Athena the owl in "Outfoxed" by Rita Mae Brown.
-- Distrust any enterprises that require new clothes. EM Forster
Judy F
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Hev339 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:43 pm

I just got back to my apartment (was visiting my family in Bowmanville
this weekend, apartment is in St. Catharines), and we had to drive over
the Burlington bridge on the way back! #ed_op#img src="richedit/smileys/Word_Negative/8.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Boy was it scary!! lol. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Hev339
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby cadence » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:06 pm

Ruth wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I just saw a kid going flying across the parking lot on rollerblades using a garbage bag as a sail.#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Thinking/3.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#WHEWWWW... that is so funny!!!  Well, ya gotta have fun with these things somehow!  Wouldn't it have been interesting if he'd actually made some air time? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patience! Practice! Persistence!
cadence
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby cadence » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:09 pm

Judy F wrote:Well, the Ottawa South area has had some really weird weather, ranging#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#from fabulously warm & sunny to furious thunderstorms -- 2 of the#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#them.  One early in the afternoon was short and quick but one a 5#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#pm lasted almost an hour and had strong gusts (Weather channel says 71#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#kmh!).  Winds was switching around the compass -- E, NNE, SW, SE,#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#S (for now).  Our horses are all in for the night.
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Isn't that the tail end of the same storm that set off tornadoes in Kentucky and thereabouts?  I think it is, if I got the story right, it ripped through one of the racetracks and injured some people and killed 3 racehorses.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patience! Practice! Persistence!
cadence
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Eileen » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:14 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl#Oh no, that is terrible....I heard that there were tornadoes down in Ky but had no idea how deadly these were.  That is too bad about the injuries  and horses getting killed..  Makes our little wind stories fade in comparison...I guess we should count ourselves lucke....again...#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby graciespook » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:18 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I read this morning that there were no casualties in Kentucky at all? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We were having our barn's poker run when the thunder and violent winds struck. Scary! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby MacnRio » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:35 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, no rain but a few drops at my place, no thunder or lightening either.... But I'm on very flat land with flat land all around and no wind break from the west where the wind was coming from..... 90kph winds and I had everything blowing away..... The poor horses didn't know where to stand.  Their hay would blow away, so I finally chucked them two bales, still in the twine, to work at.  It was the only way it wouldn't blow away!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My patio table tried to climb the fence out of the backyard.... I have a metal shed that blew away 3 times (and it was braced against a fence, but that wasnt good enough.  My fences are plastered with corn husks... I have NO leaves left on my property...... Buckets and flower pots are probably in BC by now.... lol  My garage door (which has an automatic opener on it) was pulled open TWICE.......But the WORST by far is the 400 bales of hay - 3 different piles, under tarps and the tarps were flailing everywhere.  I rescued the shed twice and spent over 1.5 hours trying to get the tarps lashed down. I finally gave up, went into the house, called my mom and totally lost it....  I had been hit in the face repeatedly by whiping tarps (those gromets hurt), had a hay bale fall on my head, fallen off the hay a few times, and just in general frustrated.  My mom sent my dad out to help me.  We were out there - in the winds - for over 3 hours - getting all the tarps tied tight down, anchoring the shed (and putting screws in it to hold it together, it was one of those flimsy metal ones that was krinkled all to crap from rolling!  It was empty, it is now stacked full of hay to keep it in place!!) and collecting crap that had blown away.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I brought the horses in last night, for a break from the wind!  Although, they didn't seem too put out by it, but they all lay down last night (poo stains on their hips and sides, and straw in the manes ;)).  I know I didn't enjoy being out in that wind for even just 3 hours, so them in it all day, they probably needed to relax! lol#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And I am VERY sore today.  I am supposed to be giving my left arm a break from overuse. Yesterday, on top of fighting with airborne tarps with 90kph winds under them, we moved 40 bales of hay (to make the stacks better), carrying a shed and throwing tires and round posts on top of the hay piles.  I'm covered in tiger balm today (so smeilling cinnamonny :P) and my entire body hates me...... On top of the brusies and the mark (and bruise) on my left cheek from a grommit on the tarp whacking me...... sigh....  But, as my dad and I said, these are close to 100kph winds, imagine 200-300kph winds.... NOOO thanks!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I also had to chuckle and tell my dad, its a good thing Salt (goat) is FAT or else she would've blown away!!! hee hee#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
The more I know about men, the more I like my horse(s)

On the first day God created horses, on the second day he painted them.
MacnRio
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby chenders01 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:13 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh, Mac, what a day!!  I heard on the news that London area got it quite bad.  Here in Kitchener, small animals were blowing around, but fortunately, the lean-to shelter in Tequila's paddock stayed upright #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//grin.gif"#ed_cl# (I'm joking about the small animals, but the leaves were definitely flying).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I went to the barn yesterday but riding was out of the question.  It was waaaay too windy to go for a trail ride, and the indoor arena sounded like a freight-train was going through.  So, I elected to just have a "pampering" session with Tequila...groomed her really well, trimmed her bridle-path and fed her treats.  Then, I put her in her stall.  I figure that I pay to have a stall for those really nasty days, and yesterday qualified as a Really Nasty Day, so I left her inside, snug as a bug in her warm, protected stall, with a couple flakes of hay to munch on.  When I arrived at the barn, she and her pasture-mate were huddled near the lean-to, trying to stay out of the wind, so I figured that she might appreciate being left inside for the night (yes, I am a softie).    #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I also got to travel to a barn just (literally) around the corner, where a few riders had gathered to do a musical ride.  Someone was there to yell out the instructions, and the riders just did what they were told.  It looked like a LOT of fun!  I might try it with Tequila the next time they do another one (I think they're trying for every other Sunday, and the arena they're riding in is brand-new and To DIE For).  I figure that if I can't get her on the trailer, I can always walk her over.  It would be really good training for her.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Next

Return to The Lounge