Another Cat Thread

Talk about anything that catches your fancy, not necessarily horse-related. Just sit back, get comfortable and chat with friends.

Moderator: EC

Another Cat Thread

Postby Sodapoppers » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:36 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#We are having some major problems with one of our cats. They do go outdoors, but also have a litter box inside, in our bathroom.  We have 3 mats in the bathroom. I am at work washing them right now and almost died from the smell of amonia / urine on them #ed_op#IMG src="/richedit/smileys/confused.gif"#ed_cl# Ya you know where this is going...#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#A little bit of background...I have had this cat for 8 years now (making him almost 9). He lived with me at my parents with no problems for a very long time until just before I moved. When he was very young he had a problem with crystals in his urinary tract and has since been on magnesium-restricted food.  It can be hard to regulate though because he will also beat the dog out of her dish and eat her food #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//nervous.gif"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#My parents got another cat, a stray, whom my dad really liked and decided to keep. Ever since that, my cat, Blue, started to pee in their house.  My mom was threatening to put him down because the house smelt like pee EVERYWHERE, because once he started, all the others did too. So when I moved out, I took him and the other cat Piggy with me. Had no problems with peeing or pooing in the house or 'marking.'  Ever since we got the dog, Blue has started to pee  / spray in the house again #ed_op#IMG src="/richedit/smileys/confused.gif"#ed_cl#.  It used to be only if the dog would go for periods of time, then come back. Ie. We'd go to the cottage for a week then come back home. Now it is seeming to be an every day type of thing, even though sometimes he seems accustomed to the dog on and off.  The dog gets rough with him sometimes, so i don't blame him for getting pissy. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#A couple things i read said peeing is usually health related, and spraying is behavioral #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/confused.gif"#ed_cl# Well he is doing a bit of both. Has anyone ever dealt with this before? Please tell me there is a solution outside of having to get rid of the cat / dog, or putting the cat down...(that's one of the things i read)#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Chisholm » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:50 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well the first thing that comes to mind, do you clean out the kitty litter EVERY day?  Many cats will protest if their litter is not cleaned out every day.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Otherwise it may be a health problem.  But for starters pick up the mats during the day so they don't have access to them.  One of our cats use to pee on the just the bath mat, so we keep it over the tub.  Now that cat had problems, but keeping the litter clean helped.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby graciespook » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:55 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Chisholm has some good advice. Is he neutered? That may have a big thing to do with it. Male cats will spray if not neutered. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Oldnag » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:58 am

Besides keeping the box clean, some cats don't like sharing litter boxes either. Perhaps the dog has been snooping in the litter box and the cat thinks its contaminated by his enemy.
Has he peed anywhere else besides the bathroom?
Is the dog confined when you are not around or do they all have the run of the place?
Just trying to get an idea of what the cat's day is like.

Could be a health issue but try some behaviour mod first. Sometimes cats need to be retrained. I would start by removing the mats as already suggested and any other inviting object to pee on.
Then, confine him to one room when you are not around. ONLY his litter box and food. Once you see he is using the box, let him out with supervision and keep an eye out.
Also, make sure his food is no where near his litter. Cats do not like to do their business near their food(or eat near their toilet).

Regarding a possible health issue. Have you watched him pee. Does he strain and only pass small amounts of urine at a time? I hope it is not a problem with his urinary tract and its just some emotional issue.
Cats are such funny creatures. Sometimes the slightest change in their environment will cause them to do odd things. Bringing in another pet is huge to them.
Oldnag
Newbies
Newbies

Postby chenders01 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:01 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Cats definitely like to have quiet, secluded places to do their "business".  And they don't like to have their food near their litterboxes.  Is there any place other than your bathroom where you can put the litterbox?  Maybe downstairs, where it's quieter and the cat can do it's thing in peace, without threat from the dog?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#When cats are under stress, they will poop or pee wherever.  It sounds as though the dog is stressing the cat out.  You need to find a place where the cat can get away from the dog, especially for eating and using the litterbox.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh, and make sure the box is cleaned regularly.  They won't use it if it's too dirty.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Sodapoppers » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:45 am

#ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#Thanks for the responses. Yes he is neutered.  Putting him down is not an option i have exercised, (just so you guys know) it is just one of the things i told would have to be done because apparently once they start, they don't stop. I want to give it a shot though, there has to be something that will work for him. #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#I am not sure what to do about  Dizzy bothering him. Yes I scold her and have thrown her into her crate when she gets really rough with him. She is getting worse too...she has terrier in her and just wants to chase anything that will run away. It usually stars off with her being nice to him, so he will let her sniff him and he will rub on the dog, then decide he's had enough and will walk away. So the dog will follow him with her nose up his butt and then he takes offence and will turn around and swat her. Then she gets into the playing bow and will bark and take snaps and paw back at him. She's quite a bit bigger than he is and is too rough for him. Heck she is too rough with most dogs as it is.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#What sorts of things can I do when she is bugging him like this? I have had her for 9 months now and what i have been doing isn't working yet.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#I don't have a basement. all i have is a little bungalo, and the litter box is in the bathroom which isn't that big. Should i put his food in there on the other side of the bathroom? And yep, box is cleaned each and every day. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#As for what the dog does all day, it depends. I work nights and my bf works evenings. So when he goes to bed, the dog usually goes in her crate. sometimes he won't do it unless i bug him about it, he thinks it is 'mean'. Then i come home, bf gets up, dizzy gets out, and i go to bed. I don't feel right locking her up all day too while  am sleeping. SO she is either in the room with me or she is roaming the house.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby chenders01 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:01 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hmm...how much exercise does Dizzy get?  I know that she's pretty high-energy and probably wants to play ALL the time, whereas cats pick and choose their "play-times".  Do you take her out for runs?  Maybe if she was more tired out, she wouldn't want to play with the cat all the time??   #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Maybe you should get another dog LOL!!  Something for Dizzy to play with, so that she'll leave the cat alone.  Can you tie her up outside at all or would she just bark?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Is there a bedroom you don't use, where you could put the cat's litterbox?  If it's in too high of a traffic area, she won't use it.  Like I said, they like to do that stuff "in private".  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#    #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby babytigger » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:07 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#we had a cat, years ago, who started peeing on bathmats (and they went outside most of the time to do their business)....he was about 18  & it was the onset of dementia....either about $50 per day in meds or put hm down.....he got put down....sorry but $50 in meds per day isn't worth it, esp since it wasn't guaranteed to set him "right".#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#we also had another cat.....he was about the same age as your SP....he started peeing on the bathmats as well...turned out he had lost control of some of his "functions"...and same thing...a lot of money to maybe help the problem or put him down....he got put down too.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#as for your cat - it may just be a stress thing...he's getting upset with the dog & this is how he's showing his displeasure to you. i'd try to eliminate the most obvious & easy thing first, before you take him to the vet....if none of it works, and the cat keeps peeing on the mats - i'd take him to the vet & discuss with them.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby AWSgurl » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:22 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have three cats and they are all indoor cats, plus two dogs...........I have two huge cat litter boxes that I clean daily and one of the problems I have is the dogs wanting to check it out, plus cats like their space so I have put up baby gates on the cat room door so they can give under the gate but NOT the dogs and on some rooms this let the cats have their own space and keep the dogs out of certain rooms it works great! give that a try that way your cat feels like he can have his own space without a dog bothering him, sounds like he is under alot of stress.........Good Luck#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Coloured Horses for Sport
AWSgurl

Postby RioG » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:49 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ack, I know how you feel.  Scooter the two-legged wonder cat is prone to peeing on things.  The bath mat is his latest target.  It seems like anything soft and cloth-like left on the floor is his target of choice.  Having only two legs and a few other *ahem* problems I let it slide... I wouldn't put him down over it, so I do my best to keep up with prevention.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#- I have learned not to leave clothes, towels, socks, anything on the floor.  Now for some people this is common sense, but when you have an inner slob constantly clamoring to get out (me) then it does take some work.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#- In the winter when they don't go out as much I keep the litter box sparkling clean and have more than one.  Once again this means doing battle with my internal slob, but it's doable.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#- making sure he gets adequate attention.  Sometimes I know he does it on purpose.  Like when he comes shuffling into the bedroom at 5 a.m wanting to go out and I ignore him... guaranteed he finds the nearest sock to pee on.  I've learned it's not worth it to ignore him.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#This is the first cat I've had trouble with this way.   Who knew cats were such a bugger?  It'll be nice to (someday) have a barn where I can keep the troublemakers happy and healthy but out of the way of my clothes.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
RioG
Groupie
Groupie

Postby goldendryad » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:29 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I feel your pain. We are at the last resort with our "mis-firing" cat.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We used to think it was seperation anxiety (after the vet ruled out any health problems, he's only 3). Then maybe stress from my mom doing shiftwork. Then he was totally good for months and we thought he got over it. Now he's doing it again.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The kitty litter is kept clean.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#There is no place to lock him away, except the bathroom when we go away, and he hates that.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#He gets lots of attention.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But lately he's been going on my mom's bed, peeing on the entrance rug and my brother's clothing, and leaving his regular gifts under the coffee table.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We tried disciplining him when we catch him in the act. That just made him nervous when he does do potty, he didn't associate it with a place.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#He doesn't do any digging/covering on these accidents.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We tried feeding him near his trouble spots, that didn't work (thinking a cat won't go potty where he eats).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Nothing has changed and we are fed up. We love him dearly. So far our options are to put him down (we can't even face that) or find a barn/tack room kitty situation for him. My BO is considering taking him, I hope she does as I know he will be comfortable and safe in the hay barn and we can go see him.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We've always had cats and this is the first one with this problem. Granted, Dexter is a simple Simon and rather dumb. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't have any other advice for you SP, however you can talk to a vet about giving him Prozac to mellow him out so he's not as stressed. That's one of our options, but our vet doesn't think it will work since it's not totally stress/change induced behaviour.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Last edited by goldendryad on Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby MacnRio » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:54 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#SP, I have one cat who "sprays" (neutered male), only outside though.  I told my vet about it and he said I should never bring another cat in the house or he may start spraying in the house. Well, another cat DID come in the house - but he never started spraying in the house, thank goodness. However, I heard the same thing you did from my vet - there is no way to stop them from spraying, besides putting them down.  BUT, if it just started with the dog, it might stop if there is a change with the dog....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Have you tried  a frim "leave it!!" when he goes after the dog? ONLY use "leave it" (or a similar phrase) when he goes after the cat and he SHOULD eventually figure it out.  It's what I use for my high energy, herding dog to keep him away from chasing my cats (or my horses).  Get out a spray bottle and when the dog goes after the cat, soak him!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've also used baby gates to keep the dogs out of a part of the house so the cats have "safe spots".#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Personally, I'd crate the dog whenever I wasn't with it. I'd rather that then peeing and spraying!  At least until it learned to "leave it!".#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As for peeing on the bathmats, it could be that he is trying to tell you somethings wrong, or he's just pissed off.  But the spraying is a territorial thing....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have a bit of a peeing/pooing out of the litterbox issue too.... I have 2 litter boxes that are close together in the basement. One cat does NOT cover their business :S and you could smell it upstairs all the time. Sooo, I moved them to the other side of the basement. WELL, someone is still goign to the bathroom where the litter boxes WERE. I'm 99% sure I know which cat it is... the bugger.  He pees a lake and poos right against the wall. Doesn't matter HOW clean the litter boxes are, or that I've dropped them all in them repeatedly!  Now, as we all know, cat pee STINKS and lingers. Sooo, luckly it is all concrete floor and I mopped it with vinegar.  He went again, I then used bleach (like halfwater half bleach! lol) to mop the area.  I have since moved the one litter box back (after the heavy bleach solution) as I am losin' the battle!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
The more I know about men, the more I like my horse(s)

On the first day God created horses, on the second day he painted them.
MacnRio
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby draftdriver » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:06 pm

I have a cat who won't use the regular-sized litter boxes to pee in, although he will poop in them. He just can't seem to get adjusted right in the small boxes. I got a larger one, and he is improving. I do spend a lot on Febreze -- wish I had stocks in the company :o .
draftdriver
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Chisholm » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:16 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#SP why not spend a little bit of money and buy a bigger box, maybe buy one of the covered ones, our cats love theirs.  We use to have both sizes and they definetly prefer the bigger one.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby cadence » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:05 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#SP - You cat is what we would call "dirty".  Being dirty is behavioral and it is impossible to cure.  We had one dirty cat, a neutered male cat and he would use anything and everything EXCEPT the litter box.  So, we started letting him go outside and that cured the problem.  Once he had his fun outside, he would come in for the night and use the litterbox in the laundry room. He is now unfortunately passed away.  We lock our cats in the laundry room at night right from when they're little kittens with their litter box so they learned that night time is sleep time and now my cats are 9 years old and they automatically go to their beds in their room by around 10 p.m.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The litter box is kept in a closet with the door ajar as they seem to like that.  Their food and water is in the kitchen... and I don't allow my dogs to rough-house in the house with themselves or with the kitties. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Do you have a quiet neighbourhood that he could go outside and have outdoor play time?  Maybe that might help. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patience! Practice! Persistence!
cadence
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby graciespook » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:09 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think the outdoors may help too..He's already neuteured, or maybe even walks on a leash would help?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby zooka » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:04 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#any chance of having the cat in certain parts of the house that the dog can not go to?  Maybe he feels threatened by the dog and this is his way of marking what is his.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Return to The Lounge