Getting 'Shocked'

Talk about anything that catches your fancy, not necessarily horse-related. Just sit back, get comfortable and chat with friends.

Moderator: EC

Getting 'Shocked'

Postby graciespook » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:26 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I can't help it lately. It seems that no matter how many bounce sheets, how moisturized my skin is, or anything else I try I get shocked. On door handles, on my car (I have to kick the door closed it hurts so much) on the photocopier, on my computer, on my filing cabinets. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#HELP! Is there anything I can do to stop this? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby babytigger » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:27 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#dry air......do you have one of those humidifiers on in your house/work?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby graciespook » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:30 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Neither :P#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I need blankets for my horse...a humidifier (although I put in the request with the SO) is not high on the priority list...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Chisholm » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:38 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I always get a shock when getting out of my car.  And in depths of winter I get shocks from everything.  But I have yet to know of any solutions.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Just don't drag your feet on the carpet. LOL#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I remember in school when we would purposely shuffle our feet on the carpet and then run around trying to give each other shocks.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Azalee » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:48 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Making sure your hair is well conditioned might help.  Worked for me!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
...........riiight.
Azalee

Postby babytigger » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:01 pm

Chisholm wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Just don't drag your feet on the carpet. LOL#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I remember in school when we would purposely shuffle our feet on the carpet and then run around trying to give each other shocks.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#LMAO! i too rememebr those days ........::sigh:: it was fun!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby MacnRio » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:04 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ohhh, I HATE getting those shocks..... they HURT!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't know of a solution, but would keeping yourself hydrated work?  Mind you, that doesn't help with dry AIR does it? haha#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
The more I know about men, the more I like my horse(s)

On the first day God created horses, on the second day he painted them.
MacnRio
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Eileen » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:11 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl#Awh yes I remember the shocks I used to get in the winter time, afraid to touch anything or anyone for fear of going up in smoke/  It does happen now and then in Florida but not near the frequency as up here, and yet during the winter down there it is very dry....don't know what the answer is..#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby graciespook » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:17 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#*sigh*...I'm becoming paranoid..I am afraid to touch things, and it hurts! My hair is well conditioned, and my body lotioned, so that I'm not dry. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Eileen » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:25 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl#Oh dear...I just realized something Gracie....I thought that you posted on this topic with "the sunshine shocked me as well" and then I posted a silly response....it wont make any sense on the other post.....so I guess that is nothing new and shocking is it...???/l;ol  is there another pun here somewhere  lol#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby graciespook » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:34 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Watch me laugh Eileen...lol#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby MacnRio » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:35 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#OK, I got to thinking about shocks (I am doing a mindless, put sheets into alphabetical order for filing job, UGH!) and what I do.  Maybe touch the "shock" item with your elbow, orsomething that has fabric on it! I guess sometimes I will actually put my sleeve over my hand.  Those shocks DO hurt.  I feel bad when I go to pet my cat and he gets a shock on the nose! lol#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Speaking of dry air and static shock. I  hate it when my pants stick to me because of static..... Or papers stick together because of static when you put them through the photocopier. OHH, there is another one I'm afraid to touch in dry weather - HUGE shock factor.....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
The more I know about men, the more I like my horse(s)

On the first day God created horses, on the second day he painted them.
MacnRio
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Eileen » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:38 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl#and how about taking a sweater off in the winter time...and zap, zap, crackle and pop.....and sparks flying if in the dark....scarey....#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby graciespook » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:42 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Stupid dry weather *sigh*#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Judy F » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:54 pm

Have you tried wearing gloves?  Leather will work but rubber (if you're not allergic to latex) would be better.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I keep getting zapped when I truddle carts through the local Wal-Mart,
winter and SUMMER.  Loblaws actually has little static chains on
their carts.  #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Some fabrics are worse than others.  Cotton is good, wool is poor
and artificial materials are really bad.  Maybe leather all over? #ed_op#img src="/richedit/smileys/cool.gif"#ed_cl# 
I do know that the back of hand is much less sensitive than the finger
tips, so I try to ground the charge with the back of my hand first
(whenever I remember#ed_op#img src="richedit/smileys//lick.gif"#ed_cl# ).  #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
To ride well is the mark of a gentleman. To ride too well is the sign of a mis-spent youth. Athena the owl in "Outfoxed" by Rita Mae Brown.
-- Distrust any enterprises that require new clothes. EM Forster
Judy F
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Elizabeth » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:18 pm

For the car, it hurts less if you touch the door with your elbow as someone else suggested. I asked my mechanic about it and he suggested an anti-static strap from Canadian Tire for the back of the car. He says it is static buildup from the seats. And it's kind of hard to drive without moving around!!!

Yes, it's rotten when you zap your cat or horse. I always feel so bad.
Elizabeth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Megan Ball » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:03 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I used to always get shocked when touching my old van doors!! It got to the point where I would close the door with my foot!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rocket - TB
Kenzie - Arabian
Peanut - pony
Toffee - Welsh x pony
Whisper - Spotted Draft
Megan Ball

Postby pmc » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:36 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I had Snickers go straight up in the crossties and break his halter last winter when I zapped him taking off his blanket.  The nylon-lined ones are really bad for static build-up. #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley3.gif"#ed_cl#  He was like "Whaddya do #ed_op#EM#ed_cl#that#ed_op#/EM#ed_cl# for?"#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I now use Static Guard on the liner to avoid a repeat.  I also spray his brushes with it, since static can really build up while grooming.  Haven't had a problem since... #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley20.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
pmc
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby babytigger » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:50 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#lol PMC - i'm picturing that now........poor snickers!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i hate zapping the kitties too........silly little buggers, and they come back for more too!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby graciespook » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:18 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I want to get the static thing for my car, as it seems to be really bad, but I'm turning into a statiphobic (my made up word for today) and am afraid to touch anything! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Next

Return to The Lounge