U of G

Talk about anything that catches your fancy, not necessarily horse-related. Just sit back, get comfortable and chat with friends.

Moderator: EC

U of G

Postby ~*Pony Luver*~ » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:08 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#has anyone on this board ever gone to Guleph University to study Veterinary Medicine?? cause even though I'm only in grade 10 I would definetly like to go there and I was just wondering what I would be needing and what courses I should be taking the next few years I know that I will be taking all of the sciences and calculus, and business managment, but do I need Exercise Science and stuff like that??#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Any advice or help would be great#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#thanks guys#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Liv#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Some of us are like wheelbarrows, only useful when pushed and easily upset.
~*Pony Luver*~

Postby Kaleena » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:26 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have a friend who just started vet school this year at guelph. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you need to do at least 2 years of an undergrad (preferably in science) at any university before applying to vet school. It is very very hard to get in to vet school right now and also very hard to get in after only 2 years of an undergrad. My friend applied after her 2nd year of undergrad but didn't get in until she applied again after her 3rd year. So what you need to be doing is finding out what the requirements are to get into the science program at guelph first and then look at the requirements to get into the vet school.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Guelph is an awesome school, I visited my friend regularly. I did a science degree at Western and I think maths and sciences were big on their list of requirments to get in from high school. Good Luck!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby TequillaJack » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:56 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Going to talk to your guideance counseller at school would be your best bet#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
TequillaJack
Newbies
Newbies

Postby graciespook » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:12 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Its the toughest program to get into at University. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#1. Get vet experience. Volunteer, do a co-op, at different offices, get recommendations and references from your vet. They will rarely look at an application without someone having experience working with vets. The more the better. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#2. Science and math, science and math. Take all the science and math courses you can get your hands on. Chem and Bio are first in line, physics if you can fit it in, as it will complement your algebra and geometry and calculus classes. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#3. You can apply to vet school after you have had a minimum of two years in an under grad program. Biochemistry is a great one to take. You are only allowed to apply a maximum of three times I believe, and don't be surprised if they turn you down after only two years. A friend of mine just finished vet school, and she did a five year honors degree before going to vet school. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And lastly? Talk to your guindance counsellor, your vet, work not only with horses, but small animals as well. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby zooka » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:33 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#yup I have a few friends either trying or just got into that program.  Work at vet clinics with all types of animals.  Talk to your vet about it and also talk to a guidance counselor.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby ~*Pony Luver*~ » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:10 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#thanks guys.... I knew it was going to be really hard to get into and that I'm gonna have to work my but off because I was reading their website and they only take 100 students each year.  I went to my guidance counsellar and I'm taking all the sciences and AP Calc. next year and the year after all the sciences and maybe discreet geo. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And I had heard about the undergrad degree too... I was wondering for the degree is it separated into different sciences like biochem and stuff or is it all in one...  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My other question was does age matter? because I have a late bithday so I didn't kn ow if that would affect anything... I didn't thinkit would ...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#but thanks for all of your help!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~*Pony Luver*~

Postby Kaleena » Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:28 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Usually when you take an undergraduate degree in science your first year is a general year where you take basically what they tell you too and it includes many of the "sciences". I'm not sure about the Guelph program, but in my first year at Western I had to take first year bio, which covered plants, animals, genetics, and some human stuff so as to show you all the bio disicplines you can take. I also had to take first year chemistry, math...then I had to take a course from social science so I took psychcology (always good to have to take in later years) then I had one option and I choose Health Science but physics was also an option (never really liked physics in high school so I didn't take that one).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#In second year you get a little bit more choice as to which way you want to go, but there are still some manditory classes. I choose to do my degree in Biology and I choose to stay away from plant classes (find them boring lol). Genetics is good to take, biochem, I enjoyed my animal behaviour classes, take chemistry as long as you can (I wasn't good at it but I took it to 3rd year)....I'm sure there will be certain requirments that are listed on the Guelph site that are specific for getting into vet school, just make sure you understand the requirements completely and if you don't ask! There is nothing like going through 2 or 3 years of an undergrad hopeing to apply to vet or medical school and finding out you missed one of the required classes, had that happen to a friend lets just say she was NOT happy! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My advice take all the maths and sciences you can in high school get into your undergrad science degree and work from there :) Good luck! I wish I had the drive and the smarts to be a vet :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Last edited by Kaleena on Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby graciespook » Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:51 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Age doesn't matter, it seems to be grades and experience which are the determining factors. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby *Giddy Up* » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:20 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#No, you wouldn't need exercise science for general science or to be a vet. It wouldn't hurt you as a course, because you talk about muscles, bones, nutrition, motion, ect- but it's only about humans, not animals. It's more important for going into kinesiology. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#First you need to start in an undergrad program- just science is fine- I'd suggest taking all three sciences and for sure calc- you technically don't need algebra/geometry for science- they don't ask for it, but again, it's not going to hurt you. Remember to all take some courses that aren't math or science related becuase universities like to see well-rounded students. Volunteer lots as well. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But as for getting into vet school- that all depends on your university marks and such- but keep volunteering. And to be a vet you have to write an admission test I believe (similar to as you would to become a doctor- the MCAT's I think....), but you can worry about that in uni. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#A good idea is that if you are very serious into vet school, to go to U of G for your science degree and have some animal science courses in there. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Lehane » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:36 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://www.ovc.uoguelph.ca/Undergrad/potential/Admissions/admission.SHTM"#ed_cl#http://www.ovc.uoguelph.ca/Undergrad/potential/Admissions/admission.SHTM#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#All admissions requirements you'll need if you want to eventually apply to vet school. Hope that helps!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lehane
Newbies
Newbies

Postby ~*Pony Luver*~ » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:32 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#thanks guys!! youve all been such a big help i know have my next two years of courses planned out and im working on volunteering at the humane society and hopeffully my vet clinic, if there are any other ideas keep them coming!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~*Pony Luver*~

Return to The Lounge