Transitioning house cats to barn cats

Talk about anything that catches your fancy, not necessarily horse-related. Just sit back, get comfortable and chat with friends.

Moderator: EC

Transitioning house cats to barn cats

Postby RioG » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:42 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Long story short my mom is sick and needs to find a home for her two cats.  Two adult, neutered males.  One was a barn kitten and is now five or so and has always lived in a house (brought home from the barn at 8 weeks or so) and the other is of indeterminate age, rescued from a house when his owner passed away 6 or 7 years ago.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am going to ask my BO if he will let me keep them there if I provide all the food etc.  I have my fingers crossed he'll say yes, but even if he does, I'm worried about the shock to the cats.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It's an old dairy barn that has been converted to a horse barn. Likely quite cold in the winter (this is my first winter there) but it's better than the alternative (which, by the way, would cost a whopping $300).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Should I worry?  I've only ever done the opposite - taken a barn cat and turned it into a house cat.  The older cat is quite shy and I'm not sure how well he'll do... is this really better than euthanasia?  I already have two cats and a dog in an apartment... they can't come to my house.  My sister is in the same boat and my brother just doesn't like cats.  Thoughts?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
RioG
Groupie
Groupie

Postby zooka » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:15 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#is there a tack room at nthe barn?  If there is I would suggest closing them in there for a few days to let them adjust with food and water and a litter box.  Then when they get comfy in htere let them out into the barn to roam around a bit but leaving the door open so that they can go back to the tackroom for safety.  Cats are pretty resilient and can adapt to change quite well.  If anything it is worth a shot to try it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby jax » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:16 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We have "drop-offs" at our barn all the time, where housecats suddenly have no choice but to be barn cats. As long as there is a comfy place for them to sleep and curl up, and get their toes off the cold floor, they do pretty well.  Ours get the dry food out 24/7 and then get some canned food every night.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The fact that they are neutered is good.  Do they have claws?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<b>Practice makes progress</b>
jax
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby MacnRio » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:29 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've never converted a house cat to a barn cat (other way around, yes :)) but I find that my barn cats love to cuddle up in hay or there are a few old blankets left by the previous owner.&nbsp; Rigth now I have one of the blankets on&nbsp;some hay and they LOVE it.&nbsp; They also sleep in the hay piled outside under tarps.&nbsp; Is there something like a blanket, pillow or something your mom would be willing to give up that you could put in a cozy spot in the barn?&nbsp; Then it has the smell of what they are familiar with....&nbsp; I'd think make sure they have a litter box, food and lots of attention at first (if you can catch them!) and they will adapt just fine.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I also have two thick, warm full winter blankets and I left them on a chair I dragged out to the barn (a really, old, ugly "cushy" chair that I figured would look better in the barn ;)) and I've found the cats snuggled in them, they are really warm!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
The more I know about men, the more I like my horse(s)

On the first day God created horses, on the second day he painted them.
MacnRio
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby rubberman » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:31 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As indicated above cats are very resilient and adaptable.&nbsp; As long as they are out of the elements, have food, water and a place to snuggle they should be fine. Even though they are a little older it is better to have them try to adapt then&nbsp;automatically euthanised.&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
rubberman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby RioG » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:32 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Absolutely I don't want to euthanize them.&nbsp; I am just wondering which is crueler - throwing them into a strange and very uncomfortable environment or putting them to "sleep"?&nbsp; Of course if they were not my cats I would know the answer (take them to the barn) but since I have an attachment to these cats (technically they're mine, but they turned into my moms when I moved out) I hate to stress them in any&nbsp;way.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So, a barn home it is.&nbsp; If my BO won't take them then a friend with a dairy barn will.&nbsp; I'd prefer to have them where my horse is so I can keep an eye on them.&nbsp; My big fear is that they'll disappear and their fate will be unknown to me.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
RioG
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Eileen » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:39 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#well I have been on both sides of the fence...made an outdoor cat into a house cat and a house cat into a barn cat.&nbsp; #ed_op#EM#ed_cl#It works either way with not much work on your part.&nbsp; The house cat that became a barn cat was an older female cat that was kind of shy and scared and timid...she has blossemed out into an alph female of the barn....she rules the boys for sure...they do not mess with her.&nbsp; #ed_op#/EM#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#EM#ed_cl#If you do not have a feed room or tack room that you can keep them in for the first few days or week then maybe building a little hay house for them to get in and keep warm would work...in a spare stall or corner in the old barn...make sure that the floor of the hay house is up off of the cement floor, pallets would workd or even old planks with a little loose straw or hay on it, and the old horse blankets would workd as well...anything to make them coxzy and warm,...they will be fine especially if they have each other that they have known before...that in itself has got to be comforting.&nbsp; Good luck....hope things work out for you and the cats.#ed_op#/EM#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby zooka » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:46 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#yes I agree having each other will be the biggest comfort to both of them during this change#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby babytigger » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:47 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#rio......i'm sure they can adjust quite fine, as said before, cats are quite adaptable &amp; resilient. again, lots of food, water, litterbox, comfortable place for them, shelter from the elements will help them to be more "at home". is there no one else you know who can take them &amp; keep them indoors?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby RioG » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:53 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have a lead on a potential indoor route for one of them... but then I'm worried about splitting them up.&nbsp; You all have great ideas for the barn route.&nbsp; I've even seen pet bed warmers (electric)... that's possibly something to consider.&nbsp; My SO works at ShurGain so cheap pet food is easy to come by in large quantities.&nbsp; I'm hoping that if I offer to supply all of the cat food for all the barn cats the BO will be more receptive.&nbsp; Plus, they're indoor/outdoor cats and still have their claws so it shouln't be too much of a shock to them.&nbsp; I hope.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks guys.&nbsp; It's hard enough dealing with my mom, I hate having to worry about the cats on top of it.&nbsp; Another time I wish I had a farm of my own - then it would be a no brainer!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
RioG
Groupie
Groupie

Postby chenders01 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:58 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I really think that I'd try to find them an *indoor* home before making them live outside to&nbsp;deal with the oncoming winter.&nbsp; Even in a barn, it's not going to be as warm as what they are used to.&nbsp; They may not even have grown winter coats if they never go outside (mine don't).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'd probably&nbsp;put an ad in your local&nbsp;paper and see if someone might be willing to take both cats into their home.&nbsp; If you get no bites after a couple weeks, then turning them into barn cats is probably a better option than euthanizing them or having to separate them.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I just think it might be a real shock to their systems, to all of a sudden be asked to live outdoors when they've not been exposed to that lifestyle&nbsp;up to this point.&nbsp; If&nbsp;we were&nbsp;going into Spring, it might be different, but it's going to get cold pretty quickly.&nbsp; The poor kitties may not know what hit them!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If I didn't have two already, I would take them...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# Edited, as I just saw your post where you say they *have* lived outdoors.&nbsp; So, in that case, they may be fine with becoming barn cats.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Eileen » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:00 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl#RioG....my adivce....forget the elec cat bed warmer....not necessary...realy they will be quite warm enough in the hay...I bet that there is&nbsp; hay mow in this old barn too....they will probably find their own bed up there...cats do keep warm in the winter in the barn....they have their own fur coats too if you haven't noticed....don't waste your money on&nbsp; the store gimicks etc...#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby RioG » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:21 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks Eileen... you're right, I'm sure it would be a waste of money but it would sure ease my conscience a wee bit!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Chenders, I hear you on the indoor home, but time is of the essence.&nbsp; This all came on very suddenly and I don't have time to wait a couple of weeks for a few bites from an ad.&nbsp; There is no one around to care for them and she is not going to be home for several weeks.&nbsp; We all live an hour away from her home.&nbsp; Thank you for the offer though!!&nbsp; I wish I could take them myself, but I am sure I would find myself suddenly single.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
RioG
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Chisholm » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:29 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Are you planning on doing this now.&nbsp; Bad time of year to switch an indoor cat to outdoors.&nbsp; Winter is on it's way in and these cats don't know what living outside is let alone in winter.&nbsp; I would think you would be better off putting an ad in the paper looking for new homes for them.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby MacnRio » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:29 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Rio, I've met the cat Eileen is talking about and she is happy and healthy (fat!) and tried to steal my cob of corn..... lol&nbsp; But really, she adapted just fine.&nbsp; Very friendly, came right up to me.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And Ditto about finding spots in the hay, it is amazing how warm it is in there. A cat will come out from the hay and be toasty warm!&nbsp; My tarps went flying in the wind and uncovered most of my hay. I could see where the 'nests" the cats had made were.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Another thought is, since time is of the essence..... Try them in the barn while working on an indoor home for them.&nbsp; If they don't adapt to the barn life, then you have an indoor home for them....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
The more I know about men, the more I like my horse(s)

On the first day God created horses, on the second day he painted them.
MacnRio
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby jax » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:22 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Honestly as long as they still get human contact, food and have a place to snuggle they do well.&nbsp; Since they have been in the great outdoors too it won't be like taking a pampered cat and throwing it "outside".&nbsp; They will still have a place out of the elements and find warm places to sleep.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We have 2 cats that choose to stay in the hay shed rather than in the barn and they do fine all winter long.&nbsp; One was a drop off (her lovely owners decided to drop her off with her one day old kittens - thanks very much) who went from house cat to barn cat and she doesn't like all the activity in the barn.&nbsp; They can come in if they want to, but they don't want to.&nbsp; They just curl up in the hay.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<b>Practice makes progress</b>
jax
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Ruth » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:20 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#There is also still plenty of time for coat-growing before we get really bad weather. If they had never been outside it might be more of a problem, but seeing as they have I bet they will adapt just fine to barn life.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby cadence » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:24 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I also think they will be okay... especially if it is barn where there is people because house cats are used to getting lots of human attention. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I second the&nbsp;concern about the time of year this conversion is taking place... they really don't have much time to grow the kind of winter coat that they will need for the winter so it will be a very cold next 6 weeks or so for them.&nbsp; Remember, a house cat has a very thin coat, an outdoor cat grows a dual layer of coat (short fine hair close to the skin and the longer hair for on top) and this takes time to develop.&nbsp; Do you have&nbsp;any friends who will take on a couple of temporary cats for the winter months do you?&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Also, what happens if you ever leave this barn with your horse - do they stay in the barn or do you take them with you? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patience! Practice! Persistence!
cadence
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby RioG » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:10 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well... my one lead for an indoor home fell through, so it looks like the barn route is the only route for now.&nbsp; As badly as I feel for them I suppose this is better than staying alone in the condo with no one to feed them or taking one last trip to the vets.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'll continue trying to find indoor homes, and if they don't do well there then obviously I will be forced to do something different, but I'm convinced now that this is the way.&nbsp; They do go outside so they're not totally pampered house cats.&nbsp; The old milk house is heated if the weather gets too severe, and a barn full of horses will stay somewhat above freezing.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Cadence, obviously life throws curve balls (currently dealing with a doozy with this situation) but I don't ever plan on leaving this barn with this horse.&nbsp; She has the perfect lifestyle and care for her there, and we're there for the long haul.&nbsp; Also, I don't plan on living in an apartment forever so the opportunity is there to take them home someday when my space frees up.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks guys.&nbsp; I'm going to talk with the BO tonight - fingers crossed he's agreeable.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
RioG
Groupie
Groupie

Return to The Lounge