May need a new home for a Puppy

Talk about anything that catches your fancy, not necessarily horse-related. Just sit back, get comfortable and chat with friends.

Moderator: EC

Postby ~Cnigh~ » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:19 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#Well I just tried to call my mom to say hi.  (we talk daily)  She's in a tizzy again.  Apparently she just dropped a glass on the kitchen floor and the pup is trying to help clean it up.  Lol - I told her to put the pup in the crate until the glass is cleaned up.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#For some reason my mom thinks putting the pup in its crate is a punishment.  I tried to explain to her that when parents need a break its nothing to put a baby in a playpen or crib for a few minutes of sanity.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#I also told my mom that she has to start asking people (family) for more help.  My niece (16 yr old) and her boyfriend go to my mom's for lunch everyday.  So I asked my mom, why not get Liz to give the pup a good walk, while her boyfriend mows the lawn or rakes leaves?  Probably will never happen.  ::sighs:: My mom is a total sweet heart who doesn't like to bother people.    #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
To ride or not to ride................?
What a stupid question!!!
~Cnigh~
Newbies
Newbies

Postby cnd_cowgurl84 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:20 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#thats too bad about your mom.. if she would like having a dog has she ever thought of abopting one that needs a good home.. one that is already trained and does not need as much work as the puppy would... my parents adopted a dog a few years back and it was the the best dog ever sadly we lost her to cancer last year :( #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#but on a better not keep us posted about the puppy...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
cnd_cowgurl84
Newbies
Newbies

Postby chenders01 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:01 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Cnigh, it sounds like it's your *mom* who needs the training, not the puppy LOL!!  Seriously, whatever possessed her to get a puppy in the first place?  She sounds like the type would would've done better with an older, already-trained dog.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#At least her heart is in the right place, but really, it sounds like she could use some help.  Would she take the pup to puppy training classes??  Christmas is coming <hint>#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby babytigger » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:01 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i'd wondered the same thing.....perhaps an older dog would be a better fit.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#it wouldn't even have to be older as in 7-8, but even a 3 yr old dog would , hopefully, have better training & require less effort than a puppy.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#unfortunately, cnigh, if your mum isn't willing to ask for the help she probably does need, she's not going to get it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby Ruth » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:23 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Funny I was just reading through this and noticed the cutest English Setter tied up outside, I had to go out and give it a pat, luckily it was not a biter! I love English Setters.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I guess I have been lucky, all my dogs have been "born broke", although part of that is definitely that out of the 4 I had only we only got one as a pup, the rest were all 1 year or a bit older when I got them.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby ~Cnigh~ » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:04 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#I agree guys an older GR would have been better.  In fact thats what my mom wanted and I actually found a nice 4 yr old female for them that a breeder was selling because she was infertile.  But my dad had his heart set on a puppy and my mom will do anything to please him.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#Its not so much that my mom doesn't know how to care for a puppy.  We had a litter every year while I was growing up until I was 14 yrs old.  But I find that my mom has aged a lot in the last year and her health is more delicate.  She has always been a worrier, but its getting worse.  I tried to talk to her about getting some meds (anti anxiety) but she won't listen.  She believes shes happy. #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Other/3.gif"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#What I'm going to have to do is have a long talk with my oldest sister and have her talk to my mom.  Mom will listen to Tammy more than me.   Even at 32 i'm still the baby of the family - lol!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#As for the pups training.  I will be taking it to classes in the new year along with my dog.  The pup needs the training and the energy outlet.  My girl just needs the energy outlet - lol!  I figure flyball or agility will do them both good.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~Cnigh~
Newbies
Newbies

Postby chenders01 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:28 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, at least it sounds as though the pup is staying...for now, anyway #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//grin.gif"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Soooo...your dad is the one who wanted the puppy, but it sounds like it's your *mom* who is doing all the work and stressing over it...hmmm...LOL!!  Typical man, eh??  #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/15.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Glad to hear that the puppy will get some training in the new year.  Hopefully your mom will listen to your sister.  I totally hear you on your mom's attitude.  My MIL is in her 80s but refuses to admit that she and my FIL are old.  She'd be the type to "poo-poo" any ideas of anti-anxiety medication too.  You *could* get her to try Bach's Rescue Remedy.  It's herbal so she might be more willing to take something that isn't really "drugs". #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Kaleena » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:39 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thats great that it sounds like the puppy gets to stay!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#One question, does the puppy get walked at all? Our 12week old gets walked at least 1/2hour twice a day to give her some exercise along with playing fetch in the backyard. We will increase this as she gets older. As a I said before a tired puppy is a good puppy. GR can be high energy dogs and need more than just being put out in a backyard. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It is also not too early to start her training. Hannah started going once a week for lessons at 8 weeks. She sits, downs, stays, waits, and her come is very good off lead. She does everything for praise, not treats. Once she gets her 3rd set of shots next week she will start in the group puppy classes to get some socialization. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby ~Cnigh~ » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:46 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#Yes Chenders, its very typical that my dad wanted the puppy but my mom does all the work.  I can understand that my dad CAN'T take the dog for walks (now or ever) because of his arthritis.  My mom does walk her twice a day.  But the pup needs to run around outside too.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#I really hope that my parents do keep the puppy.  They really love her to bits.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#Kaleena,  the training has to wait until the new year.  Its not money but time that I'm lacking at the moment.  To much on the go with the boys Karate 5 days a week, my Fitness training 5 days a week and horse riding, and moving Dec 1, and Christmas etc etc etc.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#I'll keep everyone updated if anything changes.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~Cnigh~
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Patricia » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:58 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I just read your story.  If your parents can invest some time into this dog they are SO smart and have a thirst to be obedient and please.  Another thing I would recommend is to withhold water in the evening to give the puppy a change to be a 'good dog' through the night.  He/she just needs the opportunity to get some praise.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We are working our our 3rd dog just added to the mix.  We have a Border Collie who is now 12.  They are great as long as you give them a job.  Our guy thrive on commands and aims to please constantly.  The second is a German Shepherd adopted at 8 weeks from our Vet clinic.  She is now 3.  It did take some time for her to develop bladder control/bigger dog.  And just recently had a JR Terrier added to the mix.  He was 10 months when we had him dropped off.   He has been with us for 2 months.  The other 2 dogs were a breeze to train.  This guy is hard of hearing...LOL!  Although, I have persisted and we have had some real break throughs.  He can now veg out on the couch in the evening all night snuggled up with me without scrambling through the house looking for the old house cat.  He was just misunderstood.  He needs regular exercise and his bladder control has come a long way.  From living in a city person's yard with his brother thus having zero respect for bladder control and playing hard.  He too, would get upset in his kennel and would leave a pool of bile...due to stress/separation anxiety.  The vet actually said after hubby leaves in the morning to give him a tums or rolaids and it should do the trick.  Although, when I go to the kennel by 8 am now he is a happy camper and is more relaxed now.  He is HOME.  I don't think previous owners spent individual time with him.  He is my snuggly lap dog...he is just glued to me.  We have a lot to still work on...like chasing the horses or the barn kitties...So far, I am finding his love for a tennis ball keeps him focused and staying with me.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Glad to hear they are going to give it a try.  Although, it is good for them to participate in the training.  Usually the main handler is the one who should be doing the training--So they learn what to do and expect.  Maybe even just have them come to watch.  Good Luck!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby cnd_cowgurl84 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:24 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i wish your parents the best of luck with the puppy... i really hope it all works out for them, and it gives you mom something to do... if that makes sence.. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#All the best.. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#keep us posted... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#CC#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
cnd_cowgurl84
Newbies
Newbies

Previous

Return to The Lounge