REMEMERANCE DAY!

Talk about anything that catches your fancy, not necessarily horse-related. Just sit back, get comfortable and chat with friends.

Moderator: EC

REMEMERANCE DAY!

Postby Megan Ball » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:44 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# I will remember the sacrifice that you all did for our freedom and the freedom of others!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rocket - TB
Kenzie - Arabian
Peanut - pony
Toffee - Welsh x pony
Whisper - Spotted Draft
Megan Ball

Postby zooka » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:50 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#good post#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby goldendryad » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:52 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I went to a big ceremony today, got all teary eyed. It was a lovely ceremony, I love bagpipes!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Eileen » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:35 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl#Was it my imagination or was there more pieces on or about the reason we have rememberance day that I ever remember seeing before. ....I think that it is great for the school kids to get involved with this again....like we did when I was in grammer school and we knew why it was called rememberance day...of course we did not have the day off from school but we had a little ceremony.  Of course back then it was still in the memories of most of the community and we all had family and freinds and neighbors that went to war and some did not come back.  #ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby *Giddy Up* » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:48 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Our school had an assembly in the afternoon, with 2 mins of silence at 11am. It was a nice assembly- well put together, it too made me teary-eyed.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I know alot of people who would say kids these days have no respect- but I can honestly say most of the kids at school did- especially my class at the time who chose the assembly over taking a self-defence class with someone who was supposed to come in. Nice to see. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Ruth » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:19 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have always strongly disagreed with Remembrance Day not being a stat holiday anymore. To me there is no day more important. I don't even need to go to a ceremony to get teary. The sacrifices our veterans made for us to be free, the brutalities and fear they experienced, I cannot even imagine.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby zooka » Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:09 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#at my placement they only had the very necessary people working everyone else got the day off... it seemed deserted!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby cadence » Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:34 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Since I am now self-employed, I absolutely refuse to work on Remembrance Day.  To me, those men and women suffered an amazing and ultimate sacrifice for us, not only for World Wars 1 and 2, but also the subsequent wars - Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan, Desert Storm, etc.  Whether or not we "should" have been involved or not is irrelevant to me.  The basic idea is freedom and human rights for everyone and a good chunk of this world is NOT free. We can jump into the car and drive to this city or that province without being stopped 10 times for security checks, have to produce your papers/passport and explain the reason for going where you are going and perhaps being refused entry into a city for no particular reason except just because the guard said so. Women here can vote, can have a job if we want, can decide if we want kids or not or even get married if we want (or not), can make our own medical treatment decisions, can purchase our own clothes or a car or buy a plane ticket to Cancun, we can speak our minds without fear, run for Prime Minister, have our own opinions and are equally a person as a man is. We are not property of a man, do not have to suffer genital mutilation, we have equal legal representation. We have luxuries a lot of people in this world do not have.  Do we really know and understand what we are lucky to be free from? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#These veterans fought for more than just freedom.  They fought for human rights.  God bless our veterans! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patience! Practice! Persistence!
cadence
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Eileen » Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:34 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl#So well put Candence...I must agree with you...if not for the soldiers in the past.....we would certainly have no future...or present for that matter.#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby chenders01 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:28 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I agree with Ruth.  I think that Remembrance Day should be a stat holiday.  If I had the day off I would go to the ceremonies.  As it is, I'm only allowed to take one *minute* out of my workday to reflect and remember...and one minute sure seems pretty insignificant in relation to what the soldiers went through!  I know that the day would have much more meaning for me if I were allowed to go to the ceremonies and share the grief and remembrance with other people.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We get a whole day off to celebrate the birthday of a queen who is long-dead (Victoria).  Our veterans deserve just as much!  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And Eileen, you're hearing a lot more about it this year because 2005 is the Year of the Veteran...so there are a lot more ceremonies this year, to commemorate the sacrifice of those who went to war.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby taco2 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:22 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Remebrence day is a Stat day in MB...I find it odd that it is not a national stat day#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Thinking/3.gif"#ed_cl# What a strange country we live in?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses Are Like Chips.....Once you have one....You Can't Stop
taco2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby graciespook » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:56 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I listened to a radio broadcast on Chez 106 that evenign and was in tears when Randall Moore was talking about a father who brought his two children and they each wrote a poem for the veterans and were asking for their autographs...its an amazing sacrifice that they gave to us...the fact that most of them were teenagers and may never come home again. I thank the veterans. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby babytigger » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:58 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#my daughter was in the school assembly. some of the kids in her class were picked to read a poem in front of the entire school. she dressed up in black pants, with a white tee & red shirt over top, and her poppy, of course. even my 3 yr old wore a poppy on her jacket. rememberance day is significant for us, aside from the veterans, as it's the day hubbys father died as well, in 2000.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Return to The Lounge