The Stud Game

Talk about anything that catches your fancy, not necessarily horse-related. Just sit back, get comfortable and chat with friends.

Moderator: EC

The Stud Game

Postby Sodapoppers » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:20 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#Inspired by the threads by True Colors and Serenity...I'm going to post pics of my filly and the studs i would consider breeding her to. Which do you think would best compliment her? Her biggest weak point that I notice is that she has a short hip.Her best qualities are her work ethic, her mental stability, and I love her head shape and color. She is also a decent mover. The confo pic does not do her justice. My computer is acting up and not showing any pics right now, so after I restart i'll add a nice one of her while in show shape.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#Pics of her:#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://x11.putfile.com/11/31200411125.jpg"#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://x10.putfile.com/10/28710401994.jpg"#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG style="WIDTH: 787px; HEIGHT: 498px" height=959 src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/Marty_Jones/FirstPlace1.jpg" width=873#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#The studs I've been thinking of (in no particular order!). #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#Guaranteed Gold:#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://www.angelfire.com/on3/TrueColoursFarm/GG.html"#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#http://www.angelfire.com/on3/TrueColoursFarm/GG.html#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#Dancing Lite#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://www.dancinglite.com"#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#www.dancinglite.com#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#Faheem Al Maas#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://www.breezyacresarabians.com/Faheem%20Al%20Maas.htm"#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#http://www.breezyacresarabians.com/Faheem%20Al%20Maas.htm#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#Total sidenote...but just aw TrueColor's page...GG throws some nice anglo arabs!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Last edited by Sodapoppers on Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Ruth » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:44 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Soda, can you post a conformation shot of Harvey?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Based on those pictures, yes she is short in the croup, also her neck is short and her shoulder looks straight, but it is hard to tell for certain. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#With her Belgian background I would look to a TB before a WB, or if you go WB look for stallions with a lot of TB blood. I wouldn't go Arab on a draft X, I think your chances of getting a weird-looking mishmash of parts would be increased.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Out of those three stallions I would go with Guaranteed Gold for her. He has a nice length of neck and his neckset is pretty decent for a TB. He should add some elegance. Other nice TB stallions are A Fine Romance, Timely Venture or Yavari. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have seen some nice foals out of draft X mares by WB's too, but my first instinct would be to pick a TB stallion. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Another nice stallion who seems to cross very well on a variety of mares is Nevada. I think the farm is Fairview Training Center or something like that, he stands in New Jersey, I have seen photos of foals by him out of Shires, TB's and STB's and he really seems to stamp himself on the foals, and improve on the mares.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Sodapoppers » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:52 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#Sorry Ruth...fixed it, and added one more! Ya i guess her shoulder is a little straight...never noticed that before. She is like riding a cloud though, she's so smooth.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#Here she is u/s too. Gives you an idea of how she carries with a rider.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://x2.putfile.com/8/23222093795.jpg"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby zooka » Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:47 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#wow all three of those guys are gorgeous!!!  From quick look and not really studying all the confirmation except what was pointed out I would say Guarenteed Gold.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#To be the devils advocate there are still a lot of other gorgeous stallions out there!!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Ruth » Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:50 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#She has a weak hind end, part of that is the shortness of the croup, this is quite typical of draft X's, drafts are bred for pulling power, not pushing. Soda please don't think I am trying to pick on her or that I am being mean! In MO, that would be the most important thing to improve upon, because that is your engine. If you can look at stallions that have grown offspring, especially if you can see foals by that stallion out of draft X or draft mares that will give you an idea of what that stallion produces from this type of cross. Look at stallions that are known for improving upon a mare's hind end. I have to look at hind-end improving stallions for one of my mares who has an "apple" butt. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Forget the Arab. Please.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You are breeding for yourself when the time comes I am guessing?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

re

Postby lola s » Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:52 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#0000ff#ed_cl#I agree that you should look to breed a bit of `refinement' into her.  I'm against breeding only for colour, only because sometimes other things get overlooked.  GG is a really nice looking horse though.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#0000ff#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#0000ff#ed_cl#If it was me, I'd probably go for Dancing Lite.  He seems to carry quite a bit of TB bloodline and he seems a bit `finer' than GG.  Harvey would probably throw enough bone on her own anyhow.  Its hard to tell though, since there doesn't seem to be a true conformation shot of him.  He's got a lovely head and neck though.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#0000ff#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#0000ff#ed_cl#I would probably look for a really `classic' looking TB, with a nice tempermant.  (stay away from Bold Ruler and Mr Prospector lines - they aren't the best tempered horses as a rule - I have one).  Having said that, I like a really tall horse and I know you aren't so much into that.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#0000ff#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#0000ff#ed_cl#If you are going to breed her, I'd probably do it when she was around five.  That way you will still have Dream in commission to ride while she is busy being a mommy.  And by the time the foal is weaned and she is ready to go back to work, she'll still be a nice age.  The one regret I have is NOT breeding my gorgeous QH mare, because I didn't want to have her out of commission for that long.  By the time my other horse was ready to take over, she was too old to risk.  Now, she's gone and I would  do anything to still have a piece of her.  Hindsight and all.......#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
lola s
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Azalee » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:54 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yavari is a nice stallion for a DraftX mare.  A friend of mine bred her #ed_op#A href="http://www.sloacres.com/Mares/Milly.html"#ed_cl#Belgian/QH mare#ed_op#/A#ed_cl# to him and the#ed_op#A href="http://www.sloacres.com/Foals/Spring.html"#ed_cl# filly#ed_op#/A#ed_cl# turned out wonderfully.  Filly has an excellent temperment too!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
...........riiight.
Azalee

Postby goldendryad » Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:00 pm

I have to agree that a TB would be a really nice match for her. It
would lengthen the neck and maybe give her a nicer hind end, depending
on the TB. I really, really like Garunteed Gold, but I could just be
biased.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
However, I know how much you like Arabians. I understand Ruth's comment
that mixing with an Arabian might give a mishmash. But I think you
should first isolate what you want in a stud before you rule anything
out.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
You want to correct her shoulder, which I think does look a tad
straight...and her hind end. No matter what breed look for that, as
well as anything else you particularly want to improve on. No matter
what breed, look for those things. If you find them in an Arabian, then
go for it. But keep in mind her genetic background and what she might
throw. Be prepared for a foal looking more like one of her parents
crossed with the stud. QH or Belgian. Would it look good with the stud
you choose?#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I know this baby would be for you to keep and is years off, but is something to think about.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby xena_n_joss » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:04 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#ok... I dont think any of those 3 stallions would be right for her... I agree her biggest corformation faults are definately straightness... everywhere... lacking a "springy" look that gets you collection. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#From the pics of the arab... which really isnt an accurate opinion because you cant get a good handle on the hind end for the goofy arab stand they have him in, I would say he is the best of those 3.... Ruth is right it is a strange mix... But I dont believe in judging on breed... I believe in judging on picking the appropriate conformation. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I wound't go to a warmblood though, she is too drafty and you will end up with something that is too heavy because wbs are more heavier built. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You could try looking at more tbs which would be your best bet but I have seen alot of tbs with straight hind ends. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You just need to find something lighter that has a really good hind end... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And like ruth said, please dont take any offence to anything said, we're just trying to give you a good idea of breeding to improve. Which is what anyone does... and every horse has conformation faults so no worries. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Piaffing » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:59 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#When looking at any stallion you want to find one that has very good conformation alround.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Frogs in a basket. Oh, one jumped out, grab that frog.
EC Level 1 Coach, ARIA Level 3 Dressage Coach, C Level Pony Club Tester
http://piaffing.blogspot.com/
www.dressagelife.com
Piaffing
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Sodapoppers » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:47 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#That's ok guys...didn't even cross my mind that you were targetting / picking on Harv and I. I mean i know what her faults are and they are just like 'meh' to me- a way of life that dosn't affect her quality so why not recognize and improve?#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#I wish there was like a program where you could plug in two opposite pics of horses (mare and stud) and get a pic of what their possible babies will look like LOL Someone would be rich if they could do that!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#Xena to be honest the arab is the one who truly takes my heart. Just because I think he is beautiful though dosn't mean he'd be right for Harv, hence my asking :D What would make him 'right' or 'not right'? For those of you who asked for more pics of seeing the arab's hip, here's a link to his other photo gallery. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://www.breezyacresarabians.com/Photo%20Gallery.htm"#ed_cl#http://www.breezyacresarabians.com/Photo%20Gallery.htm#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#Hmm I kinda like her heavier build. She's sturdy but still has finesse...and is fine enough to get out of her own way and still be pretty athletic. What are you guys thinkpicturing when you say "elegance"? Tall, finer, slimmer, etc. Thanks!! It is interesting what the more experienced breeders look for and what they consider 'better' for a particular horse.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby xena_n_joss » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:35 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Theres nothing wrong with a heavier build, but breeding wb would just make the foall TOO heavy. Harvy is really cute and nice looking but she IS on the heavier side. And like said, theres nothing wrong with that.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The only thing about the arab is that he is REALLY different then harvy all around. Which can produce something very nice... It can turn out to be an odd cross though. You would definately be just taking your chances.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Breeding to the arab should give you an all around more improved horse because that arab stallion actually is put together not too bad.. Its hard to really see in the pics though. He would for sure lighten her head and neck up and overall body. He may or may not add in the power to her hind. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would stick to either arab or tb for her. And why say an arab cross-would be a mish-mash? If no one had bred tbs to them then we would say the same thing. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Judy F » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:29 am

Considering her shoulder and hindquarters, have you looked at any quarterhorse studs?
To ride well is the mark of a gentleman. To ride too well is the sign of a mis-spent youth. Athena the owl in "Outfoxed" by Rita Mae Brown.
-- Distrust any enterprises that require new clothes. EM Forster
Judy F
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby graciespook » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:51 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I was thinking along the same lines Judy...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Another suggestion would be to look for a dressage horse, something like a CSH which tend to have more thoroughbred in them anyway. Horses naturally built for dressage will have a shorter back and a powerful, more engaged hindquarter. Something thats really built 'uphill!' #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#For that, I'm kinda partial to Rampal, and a few other studs, but there are some nice thoroughbreds out there. You have to think height too. She's a little on the short side, you want something a little bigger maybe? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Lix » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:57 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Now, how can one decide on a potential stallion when the baby's purpose has not been expressed?  #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Thinking/3.gif"#ed_cl#  A horse used to pull a cart, or foxhunt, or to do stadium jumping, or dressage, will have different desired traits!  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I see how everyone is focusing on improved conformation - which is obviously a main concern.  I guess what I can't understand is how one can recommend the mare needs 'refinement' or even to 'add bone' when we don't know what Soda's aspirations are for the foal.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Just a passing comment since I think that would be big factor in the decision on the stallion. ;)  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have a heavy set, big boned mare.  When I talk about hypothetically breeding her (which I probably will never do but I like to think about it), people always recommend she be 'refined'.  I don't get it.  Why?  No one asks what I want do with the foal.  Sure, if I was an aspiring dressage or hunter rider, I'd want to refine, but otherwise - being heavy set has it's good traits - albeit never popular with the 'show' crowd.  If I want a field hunter, a trail horse, a pleasure horse or a cart horse, I certainly don't need refinement.  It's the same if I owned an Arab.  I wouldn't be too pleased if everyone recommended a baby with more 'bone' without knowing my intentions.  If my ultra refined Arab works for me, why do I need to add more bone just for the sake of it.  It really all depends on what the baby is bred for!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And I do agree about conformation and breeding to improve it!  Absolutely.  But we must also not forget that temperament and intended purpose of the foal should also dominate the decision!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby BarnBratCSA » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:27 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think i would pick Dancing Lite from those three... I agree that she might need to be refined a little bit and he could do that. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You may want to look at some more TB-type horses.   Also, ask the stallion's owners for pics of his babies so you can see what he throws.  Some stallions really stamp out their babies, others don't.  I always like to see what his offspring are coming out like before I decide on a stallion. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
BarnBratCSA
Groupie
Groupie

Postby PerfectAngel » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:33 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#lol....I have to agree with Lix. We are all jsut assuming you want a hunter/jumper or dressagey horse. What if you want a solid reliable trail horse, or a western horse!! A TB would NOT be my pick to breed to if my goal was a reliable trail horse. I would be more inclined to go towards the Arab (or another breed altogether, ie: quarter horse or Morgan). I have also seen MANY heavi(er) horses competeing at fairly high levels (I know a 3/4Clyde 1/4 Morgan mare who competes at high jumpers (3'6") and wins) so it's not all about being refined. I also know 2 Belgian/arab horses that are actually really pretty and athletic. They don't look at all "out of place" at hunter shows, and they have even been Champ/Reserve at one show that I saw...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Basically what I mean is go for what you really think would be best in terms of what you are wanting to do with the foal.... JMHO....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Image Image Image
PerfectAngel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby goldendryad » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:44 am

I based my pick on what SP is doing now, assuming that's what she wants
to do with her foal. Which is English pleasure, hunter/jumper schooling
shows and some dressage.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
PerfectAngel said maybe a Morgan. And I agree, Morgans are very nice,
normally have very good conformation and temperments. They're very
smoothe, so would likely improve her shoulder. They also do well at all
the stuff she does now, and would compliment either the QH or the
Belgian in Harvey.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby jax » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:05 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Depends on what you want the baby to do.  I would look for a stud with a bit of a shorter back and more angle in the shoulder, but as far as the rest, I would need to know potential plans for the foal.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<b>Practice makes progress</b>
jax
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Sodapoppers » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:52 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#Hmm well what do i want to do with the foal? I don't really want to do anything in terms of specializing in a discipline and thinking I will go far in it...not yet anyways.&nbsp;Ultimately I'd like a nice little all-round horse like Harv is. Do little hunter schooling/jumping, dressage, western games, western pleasure, trail riding etc. and&nbsp;know i'd be&nbsp;safe doing it (ie the horse isn't too hot and isn't going to try to kill me LOL ) So basically a well rounded overall 'everything' pleasure. I'm not asking for much, eh?&nbsp; :D&nbsp; #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#I did consider a qh. My final conclusion was I was worried the qh may bulk her up too much. I'd probably get a real little tank then, based on the ones i found and liked&nbsp;:D Harvey stands at 15.2 at the bum now. The absolute highest she will probably get will be 16hh , assuming she throws a couple extra hands on in the next couple years. String test says she should stop at 15.2 but she may surprise me yet. anywasy 16hh is ok. 15.2 is better. I don't notice a big difference height wise while on her vs. Dream but over 16hh would be pushing it for me height - wise.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Next

Return to The Lounge