Farm Dogs?

Talk about anything that catches your fancy, not necessarily horse-related. Just sit back, get comfortable and chat with friends.

Moderator: EC

Farm Dogs?

Postby Happy Appy's » Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:38 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What kind of farm dog do you own?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I own 2 Chinese Pugs. When we bought the farm I had my doubts about how they would make out. They love it. My husband and I started making new pastures today and they both were with us the whole way. They even chased a mouse into it's hole. I think they think they are part hound dogs.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Happy Appy's
Groupie
Groupie

Postby CoBud » Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:49 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I own a half black lab, half dalmation, he's not acctualy a barn dog but occasionaly we bring him to the stable to let him run with their dogs. They have 2 black labs and I think the other one is a pointer , I'm not exactly sure though lol, I'll stick to horse breeds   #ed_op#IMG style="WIDTH: 24px; HEIGHT: 15px" height=21 src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//nervous.gif" width=32#ed_cl#. My dog loves it there, especially the water where he can get all nice and dirty.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
CoBud

re

Postby lola s » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:08 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#0000ff#ed_cl#I have  German Shepard.  She's truly wonderful with the horses and barn cats.  She's just protective enough, but never mean.  Before that I had a Black Lab who was also a really good barn dog.  Neither of my dogs have ever been fulltime barn dogs though.  They always slept inside at night.  I'm a bleeding heart and would probably have my horses sleeping in the house too, if I could figure out a way. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
lola s
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Megan Ball » Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:04 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've got 2 dogs and both were "hand-me-downs". We are their 3rd and last home. 1 is a 1/2 german shepard and 1/2 huskey. He's got 1 blue eye and 1 brown! Our other dog is a Dobe. Both were hit by cars and broke their pelvis. the huskey mix has a metal replacement for his and the Dobe just healed without surgery.  Unfortunatly due to her accident I can't spay her as her uterus is deformed and the vets won't due it without too much $$$$$!  Other then that they are good farm dogs. Good with the birds and keep the groundhogs at bay.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rocket - TB
Kenzie - Arabian
Peanut - pony
Toffee - Welsh x pony
Whisper - Spotted Draft
Megan Ball

Postby Eileen » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:48 am

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl#I would love to have a farm dog here, but as I have said before...it would not fit in my lifestyle...it would want to go with me everytime I started the truck...and that is not always possible, not all camps like dogs and sometimes the dogs do get in the way, yes even the "well behavedand trained" ones...they are the worst ones...sneaky....lol So if I left the dog back on the farm and others looked after it...it would become someone elses dong.  When we did have dogs on the farm, which was forever up untill about 10 years ago, it was always a mutt of some kind and usually a good sized one too.  I do miss the dog, but the cats are happy.#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Happy Appy's » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:57 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've been teaching mine to herd the chickens into their coop at night. It makes rounding them up easier. I should have tried them on the rabbits. I think the rabbits would have gotten away. They are faster than the chickens and my dogs only have 3-4 inch legs. They can't go that fast.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Happy Appy's
Groupie
Groupie

Postby graciespook » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:11 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My german shepherd was not so great with other dogs, but is taking horses in stride. She's excellent with them--we went to the Capital Classic with her and they'd be milling around, and cutting her off, and she didn't even look at them! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Lix » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:17 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We don't have a farm set up yet but are planning on building sooner than later.  Currently we have two Boxers and one Golden Retriever.  The Retriever will be great I'm sure.  She loves other animals and and is very quiet and adaptable.  The two Boxers however, are very exitable and way too daring.  Plus, they are very 'prissy'.  They hate the cold and shiver at nothing, lol.  Thankfully, they are extremely gentle dogs so I'm sure once they are forced to, they will be good farm dogs, but until then, I'm hoping they grow up and settle down a bit! ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby MacnRio » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:40 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've got a shep/lab x who is afraid of the hroses, good with the cats and is good about staying on the property.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Then, I've got a true farm dog breed - English Shepherd. A herding dog..... Holy high energy, that and the fact he is only a puppy (1.5 yrs old).  Rigth now he "plays" with the horses - isn't truely herding - but is absolutely NOT afraid of them.  I plan on taking him to some herding clinics to teach him to do it properly.  Apparently, his breed is so smart that I can say go get "name horse here" and he will cut the right horse from the "herd" and bring it to the gate.  I'm not seeing that smarts in him yet..... lol....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
The more I know about men, the more I like my horse(s)

On the first day God created horses, on the second day he painted them.
MacnRio
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Kaleena » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:49 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't own a farm but Hannah (yellow lab) is going to be my barn companion dog :) She already comes with me almost evertime I go. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We practice walking right along the wall if there are horses in the crossties and if we are walking and a horse needs to pass she already knows that she needs to sit against the wall until its past. She isn't afraid at all and will walk right up to their noses and lick them when they have their heads hanging over the stalls. I'm lucky that Cirrus is really good with dogs and hopefully Hannah will be really good with horses eventually :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby goldendryad » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:33 am

Well, I own a Sheltie. I have to admit she doesn't lend herself well to
being a total farm dog. Her coat gets all sorts of things caught in it,
she hates getting too dirty (she licks herself clean like a cat). Plus
she had an unfortunate encounter with an electric fence and yelped all
the way to the house.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
BUT she is good with any animal, always friendly but careful. She does
have herding instinct, and has tried to round up cows. She's much
better at rounding up cats though, LOL. Out at the horse barn she's
pretty good because I've taught her commands to stay out of
stalls/pens/arenas unless asked.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
My old barn had a border collie and a doberman. The doberman was for scaring people but she was a big sweetie.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
My current barn has two lab/rotties. Can't say I'm crazy about
them...every now and then they try and chase the horses at dumb
moments. The youngest one is a pup who will chew anything...she's
chewed brushes, polo's and so on. Not cool. You have to be really
careful about your stuff. The older one is ball obsessive compulsive
and is always begging to have the ball thrown, but she never stops
retrieving it and asking again, and again.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
They also have a poodle/shih tzu with one eye. He runs around, chases
the horses, again, and stands there barking his fool head off at them.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I personally like my aunt and uncle's farm dogs. A border collie and
her son, a border collie/Australian shepherd. Good looking, smart,
great at rounding up cattle and super around the horses. They bark at
strangers, but are very friendly.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby taco2 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:46 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#WE have an Akita/Lab cross...the best dog ever!! SCOOBY or Scoobs, is so good around the horses, and is quite content to stick to your side while riding.  He does one down fall, and that is he likes to chase the ckickens, he never bites them etc...just finds it fun to make them run.  Oh well, no one is perfect I guess!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#He's more a house dog than farm dog, as he psends most of the time in the house or yard, as I can't always have him around when working on trail rides or lessons, as some of the clients are scared of dogs, and from a legal stand point, don't want to encourage any crazy person to sue cause a dog approached them or something.  So, I find it best to avoid the situaiton all together....  Which is too bad, as he is so friendly and loves people especially kids..#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses Are Like Chips.....Once you have one....You Can't Stop
taco2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby horsemad! » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:16 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have two Australian Sheppards.   They're pretty good at the farm thang after moving up from the city as youngsters.  My male still thinks he needs to discipline the horses and will snap at them if he thinks I need his help, but they're good about staying out of paddocks and out of the stalls... the only thing is they get soooo dirty.  I think I should invent doggy dry suits for barn people.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~~ Stupid should hurt! ~~
Jimmy Wofford
horsemad!
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Kobau » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:53 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#well.... I personally have my rottie/aussie, whom is my all raound companion, goes on all trail rides etc. and is pretty good with the horses one of the horses likes to chase dogs so she taught him to stay out of the way!.. my other dog is springer/border coliie we think..... not sure but that is the breeds that he seems to be a mutt of! bit yappy, stupid at times... but both are very loving, and will let ya know if someone shows up, they are true guard dogs.. let ya in, but don't let you out less my parents or myself tell them to. then parents also have a lab shephard, and a poodle/shitsu,  oh and a blue heeler/bordercollie, who i swear must have greyhound in him due to his build.. doesn't look like his litter mates build wise, but brain and colour wise yes.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Being a mom is a wonderful job... being mom to a horse crazy lil boy means combining two things i adore!!!

Winter makes you appreciate mud in the spring!
Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby PerfectAngel » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:27 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have a sheltie/corgi mix and he's a great farm dog!! BUT, he likes to bark and bark and bark at the horses whenever they move which is really annoying!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Image Image Image
PerfectAngel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby jax » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:35 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#When we had the farm we had a Sheltie/Pommeranian cross.  Sounds crazy, I know, but she looked like a slightly wider Sheltie, and not quite so silly as they can get.  She was a great farm dog - loved to head down to the barn with whoever was going, never left the property, would graze out in the field with the horses, she was great.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My present dog (border collie X) is a great outdoor adventure dog, but he tends to herd things like cows and horses.  He is smart enough to be taught not to do things, so I'm sure he'd be great at a farm, but I don't have one to train him at. #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/2.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<b>Practice makes progress</b>
jax
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby babytigger » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:59 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#well, no farm for me......and my dog is an idiot....rottie/dpbe....i don't think he'd do well as a farm dog. heck, i wouldn't even dream of taking him to the barn with me!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby BarnBratCSA » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:34 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have a Jack Russel Terrier..... I know, I know, I sound like the typical hunter princess cliche...but I'm totally not!&nbsp; hehe.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Really though, he's GREAT.&nbsp; He's not the typical Jack....he's quite calm and very loyal and obedient, and WONDERFUL with kids.&nbsp; He's getting good around the horses, and he loves to go everywhere with me.&nbsp; He's a good size for me... he can ride around in the car or the truck just fine, and I have a portable dog fence that i take to horse shows for him that's the perfect size.&nbsp; When it rains he hangs out in the trailer, and he's a great size for it.&nbsp; He's not yappy at all, only barks if he's protecting his mom/house/car/truck. I love him to pieces and he's the perfect dog for my lifestyle, however, not all Jacks are as calm and quiet as he is, and I think it takes a certain personality in a person to have a JRT.&nbsp; He's VERY spoiled - he sleeps in bed, under the&nbsp;covers, and occasionally with his head on the pillow.&nbsp;he probably wouldn't be so spoiled if I didnt treat him like he's human!&nbsp;&nbsp; I'll have to post some pix.&nbsp;&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
BarnBratCSA
Groupie
Groupie

Postby sugar » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:09 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have a border collie german shepherd? cross.&nbsp; The shepherd side is not a for sure, but he came out of the collie, so thats a for sure.&nbsp; The original owner bought him from the pound as a pup.&nbsp; they thought little mom therefore little offspring....wrong!!&nbsp; He is about 80 lbs and shepherd sized and looks like a shepherd.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#He runs loose, never leaves the property.&nbsp; He herds my horses in for me when requested.&nbsp; He also trains them with me for the bomb proofing and dog proofing part.&nbsp; He tries to help in lunging, however he sometimes gets into a "lets swing from a tail" mood and ends up being told off and to go lay down and stay until we are finished.&nbsp; He grabs the tail hair with his teeth and ends up swinging by it for a second.&nbsp; I can't figure out why the horses put up with him, they seem to think it is a game too, so I have to make him stop as they don't even kick him.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#When we were home invaded, he took care of the guy for us and didn't even hurt him, just held him&nbsp;until the fuzz arrived.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Definitely the best dog I ever owned.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
life is 10% what you make it and 90% how you take it
Save a horse - Learn to train
Pasofinos Rule!!
naughtypine-ranch @ hotmail.com
sugar

Postby Ruth » Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:12 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#PerfectAngel - my first dog was a Sheltie/Corgi X! She wasn't a farm dog, but I did teach her to lunge...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My last 2 dogs were both very good farm dogs, Dudley was a Whippet/Golden X and the love of my life, it broke my heart when she died and I have not had a dog since. I can't even type about her now without tearing up so I'll stop. The other dog I had along with Dudley was a Rottweiler called Candy and she was a super farm dog, very protective of us and the property, but good with horses, kids and cats. She would bark, and I have found that that is usually all that is necessary from a Rottie, the breed tends to back people off without having to actually do anything other than stand there and bark and maybe toss the odd growl in. Before she was a farm dog and we shared a house in Barrie with a fellow, if he had people staying over she would always sleep between my bedroom door and the visitors. They person who gave her to me said Candy always slept at the top of the landing&nbsp;between her kid's bedrooms and the front door. She was a good natural guard dog, but someone would have really&nbsp;had to have been doing something wrong to push her into biting.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Next

Return to The Lounge