Email I Got

Talk about anything that catches your fancy, not necessarily horse-related. Just sit back, get comfortable and chat with friends.

Moderator: EC

Postby Ruth » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:29 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I graduated 2 years of college with $20,000 of debt. I luckily did qualify for OSAP, not because I am an immigrant, but because I was an adult student and wasn't making a whole lot of money beforehand. I had to get financing from the bank on top of my OSAP, and I had 4 part-time jobs.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#One of my jobs is in the Jewish community, and the staff there are quite multi-cultural, the boss is a Canadian Jew, the 2 longest-standing employees one is a British Jew, the other is a French (France, not Quebec)Jew, his son works there - his son is 21 and anti-Judaism so he considers himself plain old Canadian, and an Israeli Jew. Of the non-Jewish staff there is me who is English, another woman who is Yugoslavian, one woman from Guyana (she is Hindu), another woman who works on occasion is Afghani and one Canadian fellow. The Afghani woman's husband and sister have also worked there in the past, they are Muslim. The sister speaks Persian, Hindi, English and one other Indian dialect. Everyone gets their religious holidays off, but the only ones that are paid are your regular old statutory holidays. So out of the entire staff of 10, 3 were born in Canada, sounds to me like these immigrants are working and contributing to taxes!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The Afghani family in particular have worked very hard to help bring more of their family over, you can sure understand why they want to!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby xena_n_joss » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:00 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#its interesting that you couldnt get OSAP GOW... I know they take into cosdieration the amount your parents make though. It goes in salary brackets. In other words, if you parents make a certain amount OSAP will be saying too bad, your parents should have set a fund up for you because they definately make enough! I have no idea why you didnt get accepted or how much your parents make though. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I personally have not heard of very many immigrants trying to FORCE their ways upon us though. Sometimes things may come acros that way because of language or accent barriers or just plain way of life. People need to remember that things are different over in germany and italyect. We had friends who were italian and you know how people say they are really pushy and loud and force food onto people? Its true! But it is the way of living for them. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I really do think that Canada needs to take action on its own people though, many of use are pathetic excuses... Like many of the people around my area. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Trufflemaker... thats such a good impretion bellville must have left for you eh? Ya... thats the place with lots of adult stores.... lol#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby GoDDeSSofWiNgS » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:49 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#xnj - thats unfortunately is what osap thinks - if u make over x amount then there must be some sort of trust fund that eill kick in.  With 5 kids believe me there aint no trust fund!  lol#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Woodbine = Heaven

Barbaro: We will never know and that will always pain us most
GoDDeSSofWiNgS
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Piaffing » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:49 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I agree with the letter whole heartedly.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Frogs in a basket. Oh, one jumped out, grab that frog.
EC Level 1 Coach, ARIA Level 3 Dressage Coach, C Level Pony Club Tester
http://piaffing.blogspot.com/
www.dressagelife.com
Piaffing
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Gemina » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:51 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think all you young people are really something else working as hard as you do for little money to get yourselves through university, college and whatever. It must be very hard The government is promising more money for students but how long do you have to wait for it. Someone should send this post to our Prime Minister. I wouldn't know how to do it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Gemina
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Previous

Return to The Lounge