Email I Got

Talk about anything that catches your fancy, not necessarily horse-related. Just sit back, get comfortable and chat with friends.

Moderator: EC

Email I Got

Postby Sodapoppers » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:42 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#Thought I'd share this email I received today...it's...let's say ...different.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Courier New"#ed_cl#This is an editorial written by an #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Toronto newspaper.   He did quite a job; didn't he? Read on, please! #ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#IMMIGRANTS, #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#NOT Canadians #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#MUST ADAPT. #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#we have experienced a surge #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#in patriotism by the majority #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#of Canadians. However...... the dust from the attacks had #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#barely settled when the "politically correct! " crowd began complaining about #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#the possibility that our patriotism was offending others. #ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a better life by coming to Canada #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Our population is almost #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#entirely made up of descendants of immigrants. #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#However, there #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#are a few things that those #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#who have recently come to #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#our country, and apparently some born here, need to understand. #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#This idea of Canada being a #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#multicultural community #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity.  As Canadians....... #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#we have our own culture, our #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#own society, our own language and our own lifestyle. This culture has been developed over centuries of struggles, trials, and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom. #ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#We speak ENGLISH/FRENCH, not Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Therefore, if you wish to become part #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#of our society, learn the language! #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#"We Stand On Guard For Thee" is our national motto. This is not some Christian, right wing, political slogan. We adopted this motto because Christian men and women.......on Christian principles............. #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#founded this nation..... and this is clearly documented. #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#It is certainly appropriate to display it #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#on the walls of our schools. #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#your new #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#home.........because #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#God is part of our culture. #ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#We #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#are happy with our culture and have #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#no desire to change, and we really #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#don't care how you did things where #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#you came from. #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#This is #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#OUR COUNTRY, #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#our land, and our lifestyle. #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#But once you are done complaining....... whining...... and griping....... about our flag....... #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#our pledge...... our national motto........or our #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#way of life....I highly encourage you to #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#take advantage of one other Great Canadian Freedom....... #ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#THE RIGHT TO LEAVE. #ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#It is Time for Canada to Speak up#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Positively4thStreet » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:29 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I agree with *some* of that, except the crap about God. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Chances are, what I say is going to offend people-- but that offended me, and this country has freedom of speech right up there.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The nation was, yes, FOUNDED by Christians-- if you consider "founded" as taking over where there were people living happily with different beliefs and a different kind of society previously, ruthlessly taking over their land, etc, etc. Since the beginning, this nation has HAD to be multicultural-- the British had to mildly co-exist with the Native Americans. So technically, no, our first langauges are NOT French and English, and our first religion was NOT Christianity. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#There's also another little law stating "seperation of church and state". Regardless of the religion, and what religion the country was founded upon, the battles were NOT fought for "God", they were fought for the country, nothing more, nothing less. Yes, soldiers carried in their hearts their faith and all that rot, but that doesn't mean that every single person in this country has to Go Christian or Get Out. That is complete bull, considering this nation didn't even start out with solely Christianity, Christianity was forced upon the nation at a later date. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#That editorial almost sounds like something a white supremacist would say, about diluting our precious blood. Sigh.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I agree that people have to stop worrying about being so politically correct, but I don't agree that gives us the right to force God and our language upon everybody who enters this FREE country. Immigrants have been getting along fine for a long time with their own languages and cultures and doing perfectly well for themselves without even knowing much of the language. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Besides, by all rights we're all hypocrites if we're telling someone to get off our land, we shooed Native Americans away, we took away land from wildlife. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anyway, the point I'm trying to make about this guy is-- quit whining, you're just making it worse, too. Find something better to do, if it bugs you, leave wherever it's happening, etc., etc. It's a big country, and it's a multicultural country and has been so since the very beginning-- so deal with it, or get out.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Positively4thStreet
Groupie
Groupie

Postby xena_n_joss » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:18 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Wow... that is quite the letter. It sounds VERY American. This is the type of things Americans do to immigrants. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#When going through school any time there was talk about Canada, we were always taught the Canadians encouraged immigrants and since we ARE a multi-cultural country, we encouraged people to practice their own religions and cultures and languages. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We were also taught that an immigrant going to America would have a hard time because they are not allowed to practice their own things. They HAVE to become American. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I dont practice religion or anything, are they going to make me leave? I dont do anything for "god"... God and any other religions are part of the issues why wars start. All for an imaginary thing made up to comfort people.... Believing is God is about as far off as someone believing in reincarnation or other supernatural. Im not sure myself if ANY of those exist, they may exist, but there is no proof. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We do however have proof of the world evolving, which is how we got here. We didnt get here because some guy or girl said ok, im going to put 2 people on this thing that I have right now! And way back when, people didnt have the intelligence or technology to realize that this is how we got here. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# I dont know french, I know english and some polish, are they going to make me leave?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#P4S is right in saying that Canada was founded by Natives, not some christian people.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What guy was this who wrote that? He sounds like an arse, maybe he should be the one to leave! I love seeing different cultures and languages around!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Lix » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:16 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hmmm, well, I'll agree, that was um, interesting. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I love other cultures.  I love to hear about others ways of doing things.  I believe immigration is benefiting our country.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#At the same time, I understand what this writter is trying to say. (even if I don't necessarily agree with the way he is conveying the message and don't agree with every single statement).  I take this whole topic very much to heart for several different reasons.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#EM#ed_cl#Some#ed_op#/EM#ed_cl# immigrants DO try to impose their ways here.  My job shows me that everyday.  I find it offensive.  I'm a Canadian and even I don't decide how to run Canada.  Why should foreigners...  And I agree, so many things us "Canadians" do are not politically correct.  It's hard to even say anything nowadays without offending someone.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't think the whole point of the article was to focus on God.  That (the line taken out of O Canada) was just something, amongst many other things, he used as an example to describe something foreigners take offense to.   I think it's fine that they are not Christian - but don't insult those who are and try to change the national anthem.  Just like I don't mind hearing someone else pray or partake in something budhist for example.  If they do something religious in public, I won't tell them to stop or say it insults me just because it's not my own religion.  It doesn't bother me whatsoever - and in fact I find it interesting and would probably love to hear about it!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think that's the whole point.  We respect the ways of foreigners and embrace it.  We expect them to do the same and come into Canada respecting the ways of the country, not trying to put it down and change it.  But that's not always a reality.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have three example of things that 'bug' me.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#When someone is born and raised in Canada to say, Mexican parents for example.  Often times, people will say "I am Mexican but I was born in Canada".  I don't agree with that, if you were born and raised in Canadian culture you are "a Canadian of Mexican ethnicity".  People who are born in Canada automatically get Canadian citizenship.   That is a#ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl# privilege#ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl#!  Hardly ANY other countries function that way.  If I am born in Germany, I am NOT automatically entitled to German citizenship.  It's sad that most people are more proud of their roots than they are proud of Canada.  I think it's great to embrace your roots, but recongnize that you ARE a Canadian.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My other one is to do with a behavior that wouldn't be accepted from a "white" person, but that is accepted from a person that is of a different ethnicity.  I have a good friend who is of Chinese descent.  He was born and raised here but his parents immigrated from China many years ago.  Super nice person.  We were talking one time about relationships and he mentioned that his parents wouldn't accept him being with a white girl.  He said he didn't believe in it but it's the way his parents felt.  If my (white) parents said "I don't want my daughter to be with a black man" they'd be accused of being complete racists.  (which by they would never say that - it's just an example) Yet, we never say anything when other cultures discriminate against whites and we just say "oh, it's part of their culture".  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thirdly - I am part of a cultural minority if you will.  I am French Canadian but I am from NOT from Quebec.  I am Franco Ontarian.  Franco Ontarian are not 'rare' but it's said there are about 550 000 in Ontario.  Far from a majority.  That number is dwindling down at an alarming speed.  Franco Ontarians try to keep the culture going but there have been accusations that being Franco Ontarian is being racist because it excludes other Francophones in Ontario who are from say Haiti or Algeria.  So now, we can't even be Franco Ontarian without being racist.  So instead, we'll just let the French Ontarians slowly fade away and stop protecting that 'culture'.  There's so much focus on Quebec being French, people half the time don't realize there are French communities in Ontario.  And now it's not politically correct to say you are Franco Ontarian...  sheesh#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I want to reiterate that I too embrace immigration.  I have friends of different cultures and I love it!  It just gets annoying when certain (yes, only certain) immigrants come here trying to change everything.  I feel Canadians are way more tolerant of other cultures than other cultures are tolerant of Canadians.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby babytigger » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:53 am

Lix wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#  I feel Canadians are way more tolerant of other cultures than other cultures are tolerant of Canadians.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#that says it all to me. i agree totally with that.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby graciespook » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:30 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I agreed with the letter. After living with people in an apartment building who were on welfare, were proud of the fact, their four children went to school, our healthcare covered them, and their oldest son stole my cd player, and the father almost hit my car? I became biased. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I pay more than 25% of my paycheck to taxes. I have to wait in line behind those who are not contributing to the workforce to see a doctor. I just heard on the radio with the surplus, we are concentrating on education and #ed_op#U#ed_cl#immigration#ed_op#/U#ed_cl#. I don't agree with that. Sink the money into bringing the waiting lines down in the hospitals, hip or knee replacements faster, cancer treatments more swiftly, take CARE of your citizens before you bring in god knows how many more. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Look at some of the European countries. Germany, Switzerland and Norway...no waiting times in hospitals, education paid for and a great economy. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We have serious problems with the government. I feel as though I'm taking a back seat to someone who wants a free ride. Its not fair that they have their living paid for, all their kids are going to school on my dollars, and at tax time they tell me that I still owe money? Honestly, COME ON.... treat your Canadians fairly. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby babytigger » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:53 am

graciespook wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#COME ON.... treat your Canadians fairly. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#another lovely lady after my heart!! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby graciespook » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:02 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#LOL BT....this is a topic thats really close to me and I'm very emotional about it. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby xena_n_joss » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:46 am

There are other ways of reducing wait times in hostpital and welfare
people then cancelling out immigration. I notice, at least in my area,
that these people are mostly not immigrants. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
They are Canadas own. Not another countries outcasts. Actually much of the immigrants come for business and are successful.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
There are alot of things Ontario can do. Ok, Bellevillle Ontario has
the HIGHEST rate of crack cocain and teen pregnancies. This is
pathetic. Something needs to be done about these kidns of people. I
live here, it is disusting. Like The girls around here are so dirty
around here and no one seems interested in trying to put restrictions
on anything. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
This is where your tax money is going. To these people. Not only to
immigrants. Immigrants are improving the economy and we are just
bringing it down ourselves. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
So I wouldnt go around blaming immigrants for living off your paycheck.
And this is a very sad misconception that alot of people are taking
into their head. Id rrather have a hard working immigrant as my
neighbor then some boo hooing teenage girl with 5 kids because she
didnt feel like paying 20$ a month for the pill because if would cut
into her drug money. I have no tolerance of these kind of individuals. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby graciespook » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:03 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But the topic wasn't about teen pregnancy and people who were born here. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#This is my stance on the immigration. Move to Ottawa, try and make a phone call, walk downtown and in South Keys and you'll understand what I'm saying. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm not saying the Teen pregnancy isn't an issue, and that we don't have our own problems, but we keep bringing in more immigrants which is adding to the problem. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby babytigger » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:42 am

graciespook wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#LOL BT....this is a topic thats really close to me and I'm very emotional about it. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#personally...everytime i hear about Canada sending other countries millions upon millions of dollars, i think "oh that's nice...help everyone else, but not your own citizens". personally, i think the way these tpes of things should be handled by the PM saying "OK what to we have to improve in Canada for our citizens to be happy? OK...this & this & this & this" "OK, now we have 1 mil. $ left over to help another country....who needs it the most??" Help yourself before helping others - not exactly selfish when we're talking about a country of millions of people.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#xena - teen pregnancies & drug addictions, are, i think, a result of  a combination of things....poor community resources, lack of parenting, lack of education, and poor decisions in making choices...but they've made their bed, & now they must lie in it. i personally can't stand the fact that my hard earned money goes toward supporting things like drug clinics in TO....oh yes, let's open up an safe-zone injection "clinic" for all the addicts to come & get high in. no one asked me if i wanted my money spent on that, no one asks me if i want my money given to those welfare scammers who are too darn lazy to get off their butts & make something of their lives.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#anyways - that's a whole other kettle of fish#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Emerald » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:42 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We are a country loosing our identity, #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What is a Canadian?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#WE are a mismash of People, Languages, Cultures different Religious Beliefs.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Although the letter is a bit strong. I truly wish some Immigrants would learn more about Canada and Learn our Languages.  It is not such a bad idea as the Americans have to enforce this. Canada is one of the Greatest Countries in the world to live in (I may change my mind in the middle of winter though) . #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#For those immigrants who have learned our languages and integrated into to our way of life , I applaude them for respecting what this country has to offer. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It is those who come here and live in there own little world hoping to enlarge it only to their own kind, I am deeply disturbed by. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Emerald

Postby xena_n_joss » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:28 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Being so unreceptive to immigrants is just as close minded as the America.s This is the way Americans feel about immigrants. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I realize teen pregnancy is not the "issue" here, but you cant just put all of the blame on immigrants when it is really our own home raised canadians that are living off welfare. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have been to ottawa, I have been to toronto, the people I see sitting on the side of the streets are usually white canadians. Not immigrants. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Immigrants cannot stay in canada unless they are working or unless they are staying here illegally which is very likely, or unless they are married to a canadian. If there were so many immigrants just coming to canada and going on welfare we wouldnt be bringing them in. A guy I worked with, his mother worked in an immigration department in toronto, still does... They actually have strict rules for people coming to canada. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby GoDDeSSofWiNgS » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:36 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The letter is defiantely strongly worded but some points are totally valid.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Im a minor in anthropolgy here at uni, which is the study of cultures, so I love to learn about new cultures and experiance them.  That said I definately have some bones with the system.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Working where I work I see lots of people of different cultures and lots of them barely have command of the english language.  Now Im not saying its like you just pick it up in a day like riding a bike, and I think its great that people from other countries can come to a place like Canada to escape bad conditions that no human should endure BUT when you pick up and move to a forgein country you have to expect changes in lifestyle ect.  If you moved here from somewhere in the Middle East and are Muslim that is great no one's telling you to drop the dress style or your faith practises but dont be angry that you are a minority or think your getting treated badly because there isnt a mosque on every corner.  This goes for all other religions including Christianity - If I moved to Iran tomorrow I wouldnt go looking for the nearest Catholic church and bitch when I didnt find it.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Let say I picked up and moved to Japan tomorrow, and I will be in the next couple years.  You can bet your bottom dollar I will be learning some Japanese before going so I can understand basic things and Ill learn more once I get there.  I want to go and embrace more things like food, and the lifestyle while I work there.  I dont want to go in and change it I want to learn about it and live that culture for awhile. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#In Windsor there is a huge immigrant population, many from the Middle East and Africa as well as East Indian.  They seem like super nice friendly people to me and its great to give them a leg up to get them on their feet when they get here.  I dont like it when they have been here 3yrs and are still on welfare and arent doing anything to better themselves and integrate into society to the point they are contributing economically.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Woodbine = Heaven

Barbaro: We will never know and that will always pain us most
GoDDeSSofWiNgS
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Positively4thStreet » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:42 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I agree with you completely, Xena-- before blaming all other immigrants, we do have to start looking at people who are born here. And yes, immigrants have to go through a lot to get here, and even more to stay here (legally). It's not fair to brand everyone like that. There are plenty of immigrants working hard to live in a place like this, and I'm sure many of the hard-working ones would be incredibly insulted by what a lot of you are saying. There are the few who are on welfare or here illegally or into drugs, but I can easily guarantee you there's about twice as many born-and-bred Canadians in that exact same situation.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Positively4thStreet
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Trufflemaker » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:47 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Wow. This is a hot topic. I had to laugh about the comments re Belleville. I was there for a hockey tournament a few weeks ago, and my 13 yo son commented on the large number of  "adult entertainment" stores that he saw. I didn't notice (I was trying to find my way around! lol) but apparently there were plenty of them. No wonder there are so many teen pregnancies there!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Back to the topic... yes there is plenty of abuse by immigrants of our social system. Including known terrorists who sponge off our system and resist extradition. Also really nice people who are just taking advantage. I personally know a lady who spends just enough time in Canada each year to qualify for a social assistance cheque and subsidized apartment, while at the same time earning money *tax-free* in under-the-table child care arrangements. When it gets cold she goes back to her nice warm country to live with her husband. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#At the same time there are lots of hard-working, upstanding new citizens--let's not forget about them. The problem is trying to figure out who is just a freeloader and who will be a contributing member of society. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Frankly, I think there are just as many corrupt politicians sponging off the taxpayer as there are unworthy immigrants.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
"No one can teach riding so well as a horse."
C.S. Lewis, "The Horse and His Boy"
Trufflemaker

Postby babytigger » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:50 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#exactly my point P4S - why do we, as Canadians, not help ourselves first?? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Positively4thStreet » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:52 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hah, yeah, the bit about the politicians is almost definately true, Trufflemaker.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#All I'm saying is, yes, this guy has a point, but he went about it in the wrong way by saying everybody should speak English and French and become God-fearing Christians. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It's also unfair to brand only immigrants for taking advantage of the system when there's at least twice as many Canadians doing the same.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I agree with immigrants needing to learn a base of English, UNLESS they're living somewhere that doesn't require it (ie, a Chinese person in Chinatown) and they can go about their lives without problems speaking their base language. Plenty of immigrants learn the language and go on to excell, but it's not completely necessary. Canadians need to have some respect and stop using Americans as their role models... Or else next thing you know we'll all be toting guns and suddenly TO will go from it's usual less-than-a-hundred gun-related deaths a year to over 100,000. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So yeah, we need to stop being so politically correct about everything, but that doesn't give us the right to go mouthing off about cultures and people we don't understand and giving all of them a bad name. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Positively4thStreet
Groupie
Groupie

Postby graciespook » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:57 pm

xena_n_joss wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Being so unreceptive to immigrants is just as close minded as the America.s This is the way Americans feel about immigrants. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've been negatively affected by these situations. And homeless people, (and this is going to come out the wrong way) are not the ones living off welfare and sending their 4 children to school on my tax dollar. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Help your canadian first. Help develop better programs to maintain our own population. The problem with growing too fast, is that we can't support the economy and things will crash and burn. Take the high tech boom...a surplus in money and interest caused it to bloom, and there wasn't enough to sustain it. The unemployment rate went up and there were more people living off UI than there was before. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Support the economy we have. Thats my mantra. Whether it be immigrants, well to dos, or regular middle class people such as myself (although hovering on the poor mark due to the horse ;) ) its not fair for the people who make money to support everyone who does not. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If we bring immigrants in, lets teach them. Lets offer more education on how to contribute to society--classes for language being mandatory, skill sets they need to survive to have a job in CANADA. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Support the existing economy. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby babytigger » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:00 pm

Positively4thStreet wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Canadians need to have some respect and stop using Americans as their role models...
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i totally disagree with that remark P4S. the americans have their "melting pot" system, whereby they expect all immigrants to assimilate into the rest of the american society & culture, where as we in Cnada actually celebrate different cultures/religion, etc, and we encourage all cultures to celebrate their beliefs, etc........#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i have no problem with people coming to Canada for a better life, but when they flat out refuse to "integrate", even partially (and im not saying they need to blend in totally, but respect the many other cultures within our multi-cultural country), and want to give all other cultures flack for expressing their beliefs & traditions- that isn't right.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Next

Return to The Lounge