Cat loosing hair??

Talk about anything that catches your fancy, not necessarily horse-related. Just sit back, get comfortable and chat with friends.

Moderator: EC

Cat loosing hair??

Postby *Giddy Up* » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:40 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My mom and I noticed the other week that one of our cats has some hair missing in some areas. First area we noticed is on the back of her knees of the back legs- on the top half, so above the knee. Then tonight I noticed there's a small section missing on the back of her tail near the top. Also, in between her back legs (on the body) she is missing a good amount of hair- now for this area I was wondering if that was normal because that's where her teats are, and I've noticed dogs don't have hair there- but I always thought she had hair covering.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#There are no scabs or scratch marks with the hair loss. I don't know if she licking it off, rubbing it off, if one of my other cats is going after her (although that seems excessive, and if they were, I would think there'd be some scabs and marks from teeth), or if it's something worse like a skin infection/fungus.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anyone have any ideas? I can try to get some pictures if anyone wants. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Trufflemaker » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:49 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have heard of cats over-grooming themselves so much that they lick all the hair off. Have there been any recent changes that would have been stressful for the cat? Maybe she needs some Prozac... #ed_op#IMG src="/richedit/smileys/confused.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
"No one can teach riding so well as a horse."
C.S. Lewis, "The Horse and His Boy"
Trufflemaker

Postby Sodapoppers » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:18 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#Is there a chance she could have fleas? I know cats and dogs start to lose hair around the base of their tail when they get fleas.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Megan Ball » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:45 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would take the cat to the vet. In ferrets hair loss that extends past the tail is usually a sign of lymphoma. I don't know if the same is true for cats, but a vet trip sounds like a good idea.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rocket - TB
Kenzie - Arabian
Peanut - pony
Toffee - Welsh x pony
Whisper - Spotted Draft
Megan Ball

Postby babytigger » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:22 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#how old is she?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#it could be over-grooming, it could be age-related (if she's older), it could be stress, it could be another cat attacking her........my daughters cat would attack my old girl for days on end & fur would fly - but no claw or teeth marks were ever left. cats do not have "bald spots" or thinner patches where the teats are - i have 3 female cats, believe me, i know - LOL.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#is she a longer/thicker haired cat? it could be the change in weather has shorted out her "shedding" circuits#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#also, does she have dry skin? that will result in excess shedding.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i'd make a trip to the vet if you haven't noticed any improvement over the next couple of days, esp as this has been going on for about a week now, at least.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Speaking of cats...

Postby RioG » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:02 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#oops... wrong spot!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
RioG
Groupie
Groupie

Re: Speaking of cats...

Postby babytigger » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:10 pm

RioG wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#3 cats and one mid-size dog (Gordon Setter) in an apartment.  Good grief.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#same here - 3 cats, and one large sized dog - i feel your pain! LOL#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#
RioG wrote:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'll either be single, certifiable or drowned in cat hair before long.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#rio, my dear, we're into horses....i think that made us certifiable from the get-go hon!!#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby *Giddy Up* » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:30 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#She's 5- so not old at all. She's also a complete indoor cat. Nothing stressful that I can think of. The hair loss isn't exactly the base of her tail, just that one section on the back of her tail. Oh, she is a short haired cat.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#She's going to see the vet on Monday. Hope we can figure out what's wrong. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Piaffing » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:39 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sounds like an allergy to something so she is over licking/grooming. The vet will most likely give her a shot.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Frogs in a basket. Oh, one jumped out, grab that frog.
EC Level 1 Coach, ARIA Level 3 Dressage Coach, C Level Pony Club Tester
http://piaffing.blogspot.com/
www.dressagelife.com
Piaffing
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby *Giddy Up* » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:43 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hmm...allergy could be it. I wonder what though- we've lived in this house for about 2 years now and haven't changed her food or anything....hmm. Although I do know you can develop an allergy over time. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But hopefully the vet should know- poor kitty. Of course I don't want anything to be wrong with her, but yet I'm hoping it's the least severe thing.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Also RE: fleas- I have two other cats, and none of them are scratching or loosing hair. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby *rickie* » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:11 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#It's probably an allergy. Have you done ANYTHING different?? Used a different kind of cleaner?? Had your carpets cleaned??#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Anything like that could be the cause of it.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#The vet will probably send you some with a solution to apply to it, and just watch it......but do worries, it's been a very common problem at the vet office this year...so don't feel bad!  :)#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
I'm the proud new owner of a Fez! hahahaha
*rickie*
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby *Giddy Up* » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:44 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hmmm...no, I can't think of anything new. The only room in our house that has carpet is my brothers' bedroom, upstairs is hardwood and tile, and downstairs is some tile and laminent. No carpet cleaning. Cat food is the same as it has been for years. The cat litter I've been buying for a few months now- although I wonder if she's developed something to that- I mean it would make sense that the hair is missing on her bottom, although it's not like she's got her butt planted in the little box... On our floors my mom uses those swiffer wet thingys- and we've been using those for awhile, other wise, they're vacuumed or swept. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hmmm....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And gee, if she does have allergies that'll be two cats! (My other cat has food allergies)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby graciespook » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:58 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good to hear the kitty is going to the vet...not sure what to tell you. Our dog lost some hair, but she was chewing and had a couple of hot spots. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby babytigger » Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:11 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#let us know GU - i'm curious#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby *Giddy Up* » Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:47 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Will do!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Hope03 » Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:18 pm

My cat is allergic to flea bites and she loses hair all over as well, but she also gets some bumps on her from licking so much. When i brought her to the vet they just suggested flea bathes and advantage on the back of their neck, my cat is only 5 as well. I hope your kitty is doing better soon. I have 3 other cats and none of them have this reaction to fleas.
Hope03
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby zooka » Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:30 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#my friend had a cat that was diagnosed with obsessive compulsive disorder.  She had to go on meds to stop from licking herself so much.  One sign of this was the loss of hair.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby *Giddy Up* » Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:13 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#A cat with OCD eh? That's interesting. Never heard of that before. Well, I hope my cat doesn't have that. Yikes...don't think my parents would like the idea of paying to get her medication all the time...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Return to The Lounge