Speaking of cats...

Talk about anything that catches your fancy, not necessarily horse-related. Just sit back, get comfortable and chat with friends.

Moderator: EC

Speaking of cats...

Postby RioG » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:10 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN class=postbody#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT size=2#ed_cl# #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I now have three.  :s  In asking my BO if he would be willing to take on my moms two cats, he readily agreed, but was concerned that the resident toms would cause them some major trouble.  In fact, he warned me he didn't think two neutered house cats would survive.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Upon relaying this information to my siblings I was met with much disbelief... but no one was willing to take the chance.  So, my sister took one (she also now has three) and I took the other.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#3 cats and one mid-size dog (Gordon Setter) in an apartment.  Good grief.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The only way to get him there was to tell my SO it was temporary until a home was found... but of course now I'm re-attached and want to keep him.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'll either be single, certifiable or drowned in cat hair before long.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
RioG
Groupie
Groupie

Postby babytigger » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:12 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#lol - i replied to a similar post like this already......hmmm...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#glad to hear a home for the kitties was found...even if it's only, ummm...... temporary #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/12.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#and the BO is probably right....two unneutered house cats up against some barn toms.....not a happy sight for the kitties#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby MacnRio » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:24 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Rio, I've got 4 cats in the house now!! One of the barn cats has figured out that the house is a MUCH nicer place to be then in the barn or outside.  She uses the cat door like an old pro.  Now, partly my fault as I encouraged her to come in the house! lol  I've also got all 4 of em on the bed at night!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#At least my dogs spend the majority of their time outside, so that helps cut down on hair.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#No need to tell your SO its maybe not so temporary..... what he doesn't know won't kill him! lol  And, well, uh, what defines temporary anyways? 5, 10, 30 years?! lol#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
The more I know about men, the more I like my horse(s)

On the first day God created horses, on the second day he painted them.
MacnRio
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby babytigger » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:34 pm

MacnRio wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#No need to tell your SO its maybe not so temporary..... what he doesn't know won't kill him! lol  And, well, uh, what defines temporary anyways? 5, 10, 30 years?! lol#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#and besides............isn't everything really temporary anyways??#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i just announced one night OK, i'm going to get the new cat. hubby was ticked at first, but now he likes her - she's apparently a "very cool cat"#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Flyin' High » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:35 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#good luckswimming in all the cat hair!!... but thats nothing!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#one of my old coaches' wives had 11 cats and 5 dogs!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#and this lady my sister helps, has 50 cats!!!!...  so i think you're doing goood with 3.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#if your SO starts to say something, just say "hey, at least we dont have 50!!" lol#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Flyin' High

Postby jax » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:41 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#At least you like cats.  I have just adopted a last chance cat (long story) and am in the process of learning how to live with a cat.  I'm not fond, let me tell ya #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/15.gif"#ed_cl#  But at least he's alive.  And I'm very thrilled with my dog for getting used to him so quickly - that saved me some heartache.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I was hoping he would be temporary as well, but looks like I'm in for the long haul unless some angel comes along and wants to take him.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But  hey, if you already had 2 cats, what difference will one more make, right? #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/5.gif"#ed_cl# (same rules apply to horses).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<b>Practice makes progress</b>
jax
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby babytigger » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:18 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#well jax - congrats.....now knowing that you are a true cat disliker...what amde you take in this little sucker - c'mon tell us!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#and yes, it's like horses....what's one more??#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby RioG » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:21 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh, I'm just overwhelmed by the sympathy!! :D j/k#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I agree... what's one more... but my SO isn't so keen.&nbsp; To his cedit he does think it's&nbsp;a "cool cat" and even attempted to name him (something other than "That Yellow Cat") but he's still adamant it's only temporary.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#He's starting to see through me, I know.&nbsp; Fingers crossed this cat stays on his best behaviour and I can keep up a healthy regimen of regular vacuuming... there should be some rule that horse people can only be attracted to other horse people with similar tolerance levels for animals.&nbsp; We are alike in many ways, he and I... but I am afraid that one day I will cross the line. :D#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
RioG
Groupie
Groupie

Postby jax » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:26 pm

babytigger wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#...what made you take in this little sucker - c'mon tell us!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#It truly is a long story, but let me try to make it as short as possible.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Barn cat, once a year would get skinny, but then bounce back.&nbsp; Was getting canned food every day along with all the other cats, had dry food available 24/7, and was wormed regularly.&nbsp; I was providing the canned food and the wormer.&nbsp; Cat had a skinny session, someone visiting the barn said "ew, skinny cat, must be neglected" even though other 9 cats are tubs of lard.&nbsp; Called the Humane Society who came and seized the cat after making the barn owner feel about 2" tall because this cat was skinny.&nbsp; I was away on business but when I came back I found him and kept an eye on him. Basically the HS seemed to be playing "guess his problem" without the help of a vet, kept switching his food, his meds, etc., etc.&nbsp; Really pi$$ing me off, basically.&nbsp; He was there for about a month and a half and finally my friend said she would take him. Right before she was going to get him, they find out his problem - he has feline AIDS, and therefore she can't take him because she has another cat.&nbsp; Then the HS says that they can't get his loose stools under control, so they are going to put him down (this is after they told me that he could share a room with their other AIDS cat, which I was later told was discounted about a month ago), even though (a) they keep changing his food and (b) he is on medication that causes GI upset and gives him loose stools.&nbsp; Basically he had a week left and they were going to put him down, so I said screw it and took him myself.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Took me a day and a half - A DAY AND A HALF - to fix his loose stools, after he had been there from the end of August ( I brought him home beginning of Nov) by putting him on MSM.&nbsp; He is&nbsp;also on a low&nbsp;fat holistic food to help with the digestive tract.&nbsp; But now I am stuck with a cat.&nbsp; He's the friendliest thing ever - always on your lap or on your shoulders, very good with his claws, doesn't&nbsp;do much but sleep,&nbsp;never sprays even though he isn't neutered yet - but he's a CAT, which makes me want to&nbsp;#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/23.gif"#ed_cl#&nbsp; I much preferred it when it was just me and my dog.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#I always said I wasn't a cat person, and I have proved myself right.#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/7.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<b>Practice makes progress</b>
jax
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby babytigger » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:51 pm

jax wrote:#ed_op#P#ed_cl#I always said I wasn't a cat person, and I have proved myself right.#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/7.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#jax - you may not be a cat person, but you're a sucker for a sad &amp; sorry face.....i can tell!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#give it soemtime &amp; the lil buggar will grow on you, and you'll miss him when he's gone!!!!!!!!!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby chenders01 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:15 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Funny how all these people who are Not Cat People are all of a sudden getting cats &nbsp;#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/12.gif"#ed_cl#&nbsp; Lix, RioG, Jax...who will be next???#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby babytigger » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:23 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#oh yah - lix!!!!!!!!! how is the little kitty doing?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby *Giddy Up* » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:36 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Rio- Let your SO keep thinking it's temporary...just never mention it and eventually he'll get stuck on the cat. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Jax- Aww, how sweet! I agree, you'll learn to love the little bugger! But poor kitty with AIDS...my nanny's cat had AIDS#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley13.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Piaffing » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:55 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My SO was never much on cats, but now he loves them. He found one cat living under the van and was going to find a home for her, but I said keep it and he even paid to have her fixed. Then I found a litter of 3 week old kittens living under the canoe. We both fostered them and found homes for two of them. The SO told me to keep the last kitten, but I would have to pay to get him fixed. We are now a happy family of three cats.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Frogs in a basket. Oh, one jumped out, grab that frog.
EC Level 1 Coach, ARIA Level 3 Dressage Coach, C Level Pony Club Tester
http://piaffing.blogspot.com/
www.dressagelife.com
Piaffing
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby graciespook » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:57 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If all these people are so cat crazy, will one of you please take mine?!?!?!?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby babytigger » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:11 am

graciespook wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If all these people are so cat crazy, will one of you please take mine?!?!?!?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#if i could get rid of the darn dog, sure i would GS! ship 'em fedex!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby graciespook » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:15 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#They really are sucks, and have been better behaved of late, but I just don't want housecats anymore! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby chenders01 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:55 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Gracie, I thought you were going to move those cats to the barn??#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Leena » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:57 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We have adopted 2 really nice kittens, one male and one female abandonned in woods near Chelsea.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My sister's boyfriend found them in their box and they drove them through Montreal , to finally reach me and I went back home.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So now we have 3 cats and 2 dogs; all belong together so far; nobody died so far. Both kitten had&nbsp;their dive in the bath but they have not gone out yet. They were pretty young, probably 4 weeks old when we got them.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Leena#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Leena
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Lix » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:01 am

babytigger wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#oh yah - lix!!!!!!!!! how is the little kitty doing?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good!&nbsp; Thanks for asking!&nbsp; Well, she is blind is the one eye still but otherwise - she's turned into a chub!&nbsp; It took no time for her to put on weight - I guess she was just really starving and infected.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And, well... wouldn't you know it... she's in the house.&nbsp; #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/15.gif"#ed_cl#&nbsp; She had been for weeks now.&nbsp; I felt bad knowing she was maybe cold in the garage.&nbsp; I think it was +3 the day I took her in, lol.&nbsp; Yes yes, Lix = bleeding heart.&nbsp; This is even after the vet telling me she's be just fine in the garage and would also be okay outside as she had probably always been an outdoor cat.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have to admit, there was another factor in my decision to take her inside.&nbsp;On the way home from work one day, on a country road, a gorgeous little black and white cat jumped in front of the car and we hit it.&nbsp; #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Sad/2.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I felt so terrible (even if there is nothing we could do).&nbsp; I came home and put our cat in the house.&nbsp; May be stupid, cause she was in the garage, not outside, but darn, I just couldn't imagine the same thing happening to her.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am STILL not a cat person, lol, but I guess you could say I like MY cat.&nbsp; ;)&nbsp; She's very affectionate and always cuddling.&nbsp; I was terrified she's shred our couches or something (like jax, I'm still adjusting to having a cat indoors - it's still very weird and I'm not crazy about it) so my Dad offered to put her in his living room (he still lives with us).&nbsp; The cat has been there and hasn't scratched anything.&nbsp; SHe just sleeps all the time and begs for pets.&nbsp; She swipes at the dogs alot (which is good because they really invade her space, sometimes the three at once) so I'm glad she's holding her own.&nbsp; I leave the door to my Dad's living room open now so she can go elsewhere in the house but it seems she's comfy and secure there because she rarely comes out.&nbsp; ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ok - now did I blab enough? ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Jax- I think it's absolutely wonderful what you did for that kitty!&nbsp; Good for you!&nbsp; I feel so terrible for the barn owner too!&nbsp; That's nasty what that person did!&nbsp; So what's new kitty's name?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Next

Return to The Lounge