Really hurt my ankle... Sprained? Broken?

Talk about anything that catches your fancy, not necessarily horse-related. Just sit back, get comfortable and chat with friends.

Moderator: EC

Really hurt my ankle... Sprained? Broken?

Postby stronghold » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:30 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl#Yesterday when I was dropping off William at my mom's so I could go to my ultrasound appointment, I turned my ankle over totally sideways.  I actually hit the outer ankle bone on the step!  Well, I got ice on it, and got it wrapped up quickly, but it doesn't feel good. I asked the ultrasound/xray clinic what they would do if it were broken, and they told me they can't xray anyway, so they would just wrap it up.  Since I was heading to my regular doc today, I'd just wait and see. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl#When I woke up this morning, I couldn't put any weight on it at all, yesterday I could kind of hobble around.  Of course, Jack left extra early this morning, so getting William up and going was going to be a challenge.  Fortunately, Wildie came over to help us get organized and into the car, drove behind us to the drug store to rent some crutches.  (THANK YOU WILDIE!)  And my mom is going to stay over for the next couple of days to help out, because I just can't manage with William on my own, and Jack is away all day tomorrow too.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl#To top it off, this weeked I'm supposed to be having a garage/tack sale.  All the ads are out in the local paper, so I can't cancel now.  Ah, life.  So I will update when I get a chance.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<strong><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><font color="red"> In Loving Memory of Buzzing Pride
"Floppy"
April 3, 1978 - September 13, 2005
~~Champion, Teacher, Friend~~

>
stronghold
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby babytigger » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:35 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#SH - definately get it looked at. my right ankle does that flopping move on a routine basis. i really out to have worn an aircast on it, but as i had a football game the next day - forget about it!!!! and this was at least 10 years ago! lol...now i must wear a brace when doing any sort of "physical activity" ie: riding, skating, etc.......and i still have a lot of problems with it. it turns out it was almost a stress fracture, almost tore all the ligaments or tendons (can't recall), etc etc tec...i did a lot of damage to it, so it's a weak ankle now.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#get it checked out, and actually listen to what the doc says (i know it's hard!!)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby Kaleena » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:44 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ouch!!! My brother broke his ankle recently&nbsp;and wore a cast for 8 weeks. I'd get it looked at. If it is broken you are going to need a cast or something to give it structure to heal properly.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby rubberman » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:01 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would have it looked at as well.&nbsp; Even if it is torn ligaments, the ligaments when tearing will pull bone splinters away from the ankle bone.&nbsp; Like BT,&nbsp;I&nbsp;severely tore ligaments in my left ankle about&nbsp;25&nbsp;years ago and the bone chips formed crud in the ankle joint resulting in arthritis and a very weak ankle.&nbsp; I&nbsp;have broken the left ankle on two other subsequent occasions as a result of the initial break and resulting weakness.&nbsp; I am now a gimp.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
rubberman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Really hurt my ankle... Sprained? Broken?

Postby Pretty_Pony72 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:36 pm

#ed_op#P#ed_cl#I hope it isn't broken!!That would suck majorly!! #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Rubberman..i like your disgription(sp?) very graphic thats :)#ed_op#/P#ed_cl#
Sometimes you have to trust what a horse did was right
Pretty_Pony72
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby *Giddy Up* » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:38 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'd get that looked at ASAP!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I can't say if it's a break, but it definitely sounds more than a sprain. Either broken, or you've torn something. But until then, keep off of it and ice it!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Chisholm » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:26 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#OH Stronghold it sounds like exactly what I did to my ankle last year, my ankle hurts just thinking about it.&nbsp; When I did mine even the Paramedics thought I broke it.&nbsp; I mean it went snap when it went but that turned out to be the ligaments giving way.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Even though it was a sprain it was a very severe sprain, they put me in a cast for 1 week, then into a walking cast.&nbsp; Out of the cast it hung at a very ugly angle,&nbsp;and will never be totally straight again. &nbsp;Being a rider and prego don't fool around tell them you want to be extra careful with it.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And also a walking cast will make taking care of William so much easier, crutches are such a pain.&nbsp; I used the wheel chair that we had for my father when I was at home.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby graciespook » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:57 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#That really bites..and they can't xray because you're pregnant, correct? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Worst time for something like this to happen! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Patricia » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:15 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#GET THEE to a hospital pronto.&nbsp; I broke my ankle when my son was 9 months old and started walking up stairs...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#They are likely able to x-ray...it is an extremity they drap you in a lead vest.&nbsp; Even if you don't x-ray they should be able to tell and treat you.&nbsp; They don't always have to have plaster casts.&nbsp; They now have fiberglass velcro on walking casts.&nbsp; Ask for one of those...your still mobile and able to get around.&nbsp; Our coach got one of those and could still go to the barn and teach and it comes off for bathing!&nbsp; Don't let it go untreated....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby draftdriver » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:32 am

Ouch! It isn't going to be easy, running after William with a bad ankle. I hope it feels better soon.
draftdriver
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby tbbrat » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:39 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Definitely get it checked!&nbsp; I did something like that (morris dancing actually), went down on the outside of my ankle so hard, that I actually chipped the inside of my ankle bone.&nbsp; Two weeks later I had a blood clot halfway up my thigh, had to take rat poison for four months.&nbsp; Don't mess about, especially if you're pregnant!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons - for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
tbbrat
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby stronghold » Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:42 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl#Got the ankle checked out at the doc yesterday, my usual prenatal appointment.&nbsp; Doc said it was a good thing I am pregnant, because my ligaments are stretchier than usual, and it is just a nasty sprain.&nbsp; I can move my toes today, and the swelling is down some more.&nbsp; He also said that it is a good thing that I am not gaining a lot of weight yet (actually down a kg!), and to keep the weight gain slow, so as not to stress the injury later in my pregnancy.&nbsp; So I said that my diet of halloween candy must be the right ticket.&nbsp; He gave me a funny look and said as long as I'm taking my vitamins...&nbsp; Ah, some people can't tell when you make a ha-ha.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl#Crutches are a pain, but better than crawling everywhere.&nbsp; And when we went grocery shopping this morning, I got to use the store's little motorized cart; what a sweet ride, I may use it every time we go!&nbsp; I also have my mom here with me for a couple of days to help with William and the house, as Jack is on the road today with work.&nbsp; I think by the end of the weekend, I will be able to hobble short distances without the crutches, but I will still be very careful.&nbsp; The doc told me to gauge how it feels, and take it from there.&nbsp; I'm lucky I am a massage therapist, and can handle the rehab by myself!&nbsp; Current teachings are to avoid total immobilization, as that leads to adhesions, and future troubles.&nbsp; #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<strong><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><font color="red"> In Loving Memory of Buzzing Pride
"Floppy"
April 3, 1978 - September 13, 2005
~~Champion, Teacher, Friend~~

>
stronghold
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Patricia » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:56 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Glad to hear it is just a sprain.&nbsp; You just never know these days...better to get checked out.&nbsp; I have kept myself mobile too.&nbsp; Wearing only slippers the first day to get to the hospital..then on the farm my oversized rubber boots...Swelling is going down although I am purple.&nbsp; My toe nail has a nasty groove in it now...I hope I don't loose the nail...I have such ugly feet to begin with...They have taken such a pounding...the doctor reminded me how important they are though.....Hey that scooter at the grocery store must of saved a lot of time and stress on hobbling around...FUN!...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby babytigger » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:41 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#glad it's nothing too serious SH, but look after it....you can really hurt it again as it's healing, and you don't wanna do that!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby Piaffing » Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:59 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Glad to hear that your ankle is feeling better.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Frogs in a basket. Oh, one jumped out, grab that frog.
EC Level 1 Coach, ARIA Level 3 Dressage Coach, C Level Pony Club Tester
http://piaffing.blogspot.com/
www.dressagelife.com
Piaffing
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Wildie » Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:56 am

stronghold wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff0000#ed_cl#And when we went grocery shopping this morning, I got to use the store's little motorized cart; what a sweet ride, I may use it every time we go!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV align=center#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#6000bf size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#EM#ed_cl#I must appologies proffusly for not having my video camera with me on this grocery shopping trip.... It was so funny she couldn't turn around or back up without hitting shelves, I was afraid for my life!!!! Course 1/2 the time Strongholds Mom and I were talking and not paying any attention to her until we heard a "crash"!!!!!!!!!!! #ed_op#/EM#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV align=center#ed_cl##ed_op#EM#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#6000bf size=4#ed_cl#But I talked to her tonight and she said she was able to walk on it a bit without pain!!!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/EM#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Remember, we are all made from the same mould. It's just that some of us are moldier than others.

Sierra Jean~Born April 7, 2004
Kathryn Amelia~Born Sept.13, 2006
Wildie
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Return to The Lounge