So I'm gonna get braces!

Talk about anything that catches your fancy, not necessarily horse-related. Just sit back, get comfortable and chat with friends.

Moderator: EC

So I'm gonna get braces!

Postby Ridingdouds » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:25 am

Hi all!#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Well at 25 yo, I finally decided to take the plunge. I#ed_op#br#ed_cl#went to an orhtodontist and decided to have my overbite and crowding#ed_op#br#ed_cl#addressed.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#This is my smile now :#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#img src="http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/Ridingdouds/BaaadTooth/dents011.jpg"#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#And hopefully at the end of the process I'll be able to show you the end result!#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Anybody else had or has braces as an adult? #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Ridingdouds
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Megan Ball » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:09 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I had braces as a kid, but not as an adult! You might have to wear a retainer after your braces come off for a little bit. Ask you orthidontist about that. Good luck, a nice smile is great to have.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rocket - TB
Kenzie - Arabian
Peanut - pony
Toffee - Welsh x pony
Whisper - Spotted Draft
Megan Ball

Postby Lix » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:17 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good for you RD!  To be honnest, I hadn't really noticed your teeth the couple times I've ran into you.  You have such pretty eyes, I think that's all I noticed! lol  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Now say: do we still board at the same barn?  I NEVER see you, lol!  How's it going with Jamaal?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have very crooked teeth on the bottom and on top, they are straight.  If I smile normal, you can't really notice my bottom teeth but when I'm outright laughing - ugh, it's not very pretty.  I've thought of getting them too but I always chicken out.  My excuse now is that I don't want any braces in my wedding pictures, lol.  But I hope one day to take the plunge like you!  To be honest, I don't think people will notice "omg, RD had braces".  It's more something WE are self-conscious about.  I'm sure your decision will be WELL worth it! ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby Ridingdouds » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:04 pm

LOL Lix, yes still at the same barn! I usually go out during the day
because my job requires me to work during the night. I have to admit
these days I'm having an awful time trying to plan my sleep,eating and
riding (cause that's all there is to life, isnt it!) around work and a
psychoanalysis I'm doing, which requires a HUGE emotional commitment as well as in time for
several years (it is soooo worth it though!). So Jamaal is doing
fine, the training is going very slowly because I cant go out as often
as I would like to. But hey, I have no objective with that horse lol! I
know that he is going back in the spring and at that moment I'll bring
my own Marzipann home (see avatar), and he is really the one I want to
invest in! #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
So that's my update :)
Ridingdouds
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Chisholm » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:09 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I had braces up from the age of 11 to the age of 14.  Then my mother got tired of driving me in for all the appointments.  I was a lot of work since I had multiple problems.  So we never did the finishing touches.  I said I would go back as an adult and finish it.  But I never did.  I guess I hate it so much as a kid I just couldn't bare to do it.  And my teeth do look fine.  Nothing braces can do about a small mouth anyway which is my biggest problem.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck RD you will be glad you did it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby jax » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:07 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good for you!  I know nothing about braces, but your teeth look very similar to how my sisters used to look before she got braces, and she is definitely happy that she did it.  She had some pain and whatever, but that's to be expected.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<b>Practice makes progress</b>
jax
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby draftdriver » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:51 pm

I had the retainer and elastic system as a teen. I didn't speak to anyone for 2 years, not even my best friend, I was so self-conscious about it :( .

Be prepared for pain. Constant pain. Very bad for about a week after an adjustment; just bearable for the weeks after that, before the next adjustment.

When I stopped using the retainer, my teeth came out of alignment somewhat. I will not go through that pain again to correct/finish the job.
draftdriver
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Pony Hunter » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:58 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have braces. The first week really hurt but after that I was fine. I only have 1 year left! YAY!!! #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/18.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Pony Hunter

Postby Kobau » Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:56 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i had braces. Didn't mind them.. teeth moved again after my wisdome teeth came in... but just a fraction.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Being a mom is a wonderful job... being mom to a horse crazy lil boy means combining two things i adore!!!

Winter makes you appreciate mud in the spring!
Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby babytigger » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:50 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#good for you RD!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i had a retainer &amp; "head gear" which i only wore at night....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#my 8 mm overbite went down to 4mm...orthodontist wanted to put on braces, but my dentist said nope! yay! this was when&nbsp; i was in gr 6-8.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#congrats on lil marzipann!! adorable!! i'll bet you can't wait for the little guy to be there!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby Ridingdouds » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:17 am

Hmm, I thought more people than that would have had braces lol. I
guessI'll just have to wait and see for what the level of pain is going
tobe like. My pain tolerance treshold is quite high I think(judging
fromexperience and comparisons), so hopefully it will be useful there!
Mymajor concern however is not pain, but more the geeky look!
Ridingdouds
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby babytigger » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:20 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#RD - i think the most painful thing abut braces, from what i've heard is having them tightened....i recall having my retainer tightened, and it hurt like a SOB!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#they do make white or clear braces now, so they are more invisible in appearance.........you could try those to lessen the "geek" look! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Return to The Lounge