Weather...or not...

Talk about anything that catches your fancy, not necessarily horse-related. Just sit back, get comfortable and chat with friends.

Moderator: EC

Weather...or not...

Postby Eileen » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:23 am

Since i am down in Florida, and do not have a TV, i am kind of in the dark as far as Canadian news. What is the weather doing up there now. i called home last night and the only word that stood out was COLD is everyone snowed in, or in a sea of mud, or sliding on ice or seeing the first sights of spring in the back yard.
Right now it is raining, which we needed badly and have been waiting for 5 days for the forecast to come true. of course i stayed home and did not ride yesterday because it sure looked like the skies would open up, but they did not. i wake up to a solid drizzle...so i guess today will be a nonriding day too. That is my tale of woes...what are yours. :?
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Re: Weather...or not...

Postby Fuego » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:16 am

COLD is right! York Region at least has been hovering around the -13 to -25 range for at least a week with wicked windchills. It's lightly snowing right now, adding to our already 12" blanketing the ground. But the roads in and around town are clear and relatively dry for the most part.

It's just freakin' cold!! I haven't seen the moose for almost a week because of the frigid temps, it just takes your breath away.

On the flipside to this whine, the BF and I have booked a romantic ski weekend getaway to Vermont over Valentines Day :tu:
Fuego
Newbies
Newbies

Postby fusspot » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:45 pm

Eileen, My area is ice, ice and more ice. We had over 60mm of rain last Monday and then it flash froze overnight and everything was a skating rink on Tuesday. It's been very cold since then, never going above zero. My horses stayed in for a day and a half before we could get a load of sand delivered to spread in one of our small paddocks. So at least they are out in the small area. My pasture and other paddocks are closed and I am praying for a good foot of wet snow to cover and stick to the ice. We have not had to use our snowblower once yet this winter. It's been crazy though with two large rainfalls that turned everything to ice, one in December and one in November. At this rate, I don't think my sand ring will be free of ice until July!

I'd trade your tale of woe for mine anyday!! :wink:
fusspot

Postby Eileen » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:45 pm

Fuego, love the Valentines Day get away plans. perhaps you won't mind staying in and keeping warm when in Vermont,,.tee hee

Fusspot, i dont like the sound of that ice, and more ice...thanks for the offer to exchange weather woes, but i guess i can hang in there for another day till the rain stops. lol
Tomorrow we will see what Wiarton Willie has to say about the winter and how long he expects it to stay.
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Return to The Lounge