Suppling?

Dressage

Moderator: EC

Postby Terry3025 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:07 am

When I came back from the Gina Smith clinic, I wanted to try a couple "new" things with Major. At the clinic, Gina would tell the rider to supple the horse. They would do this by turning the horse's head to the inside and then to the outside. I didn't notice any difference to the horse, but the rider probably felt it. <br /> <br />Anyways, I tried this yesterday, near the end of our workout. I had Major on the bit and flexed him to the right and then to the left. When I released him, he was very light and not on the forehand! We got some nice steps out of him! <br /> <br />Just wondering is this a good thing to use? How often should I use it? And when during a training session should I use it??? <br /> <br />Thanks!!
Terry3025

Postby annie » Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:58 am

I think that it is a very common exercise.&nbsp; By having them show flexion to the outside you are theoretically softening their jaw and making sure your horse is straight.&nbsp; You just want to see their eyelashes on the outside eye and have them hold it for a couple of steps.&nbsp; I think you can use it quite a bit if you are doing it properly but it probably shouldn't replace the half halt for getting the horse off the forehand.&nbsp; I would bet that if you overused it the horse might start to have an unsteady contact and bobble his head.&nbsp;
Just my two cents, worth what you paid for them.
annie
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Judy F » Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:24 pm

You should use during warm-up and when schooling on the circle. It's not a good idea to use while riding test as the judge will notice and you'll likely be penalized if used more than once.
Judy F
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Ruth » Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:21 pm

I used to always due that with Baye for at least 5 minutes in our warmup as she was a very stiff horse. With Boomer I usually overflex him a little to the inside and kick him off my inside leg which he likes to lean on. The key is to flex the jowl more than the neck. I think Conrad Schumacher refers to it as bending the crest back and forth. What you want to avoid is bending the neck near the withers, also be sure not to bend so much as to lose the opposite shoulder.
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Chisholm » Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:48 pm

You must watch not to over flex, because this is how a number of riders end up riding their horses in a false frame.&nbsp; You can flex all you want but before doing that you must have the horse engaging their hindquarters, foreward off your leg with little effort.
My guy I am now just able to successfull flex in this way now that he is confirmed moving off my leg in all directions.
But flexing both ways is a good way to soften the jowl.
&nbsp;
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Piaffing » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:04 pm

During every ride as soon as you start to warm up.
Piaffing
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Patricia » Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:21 am

I like doing that exercise.....a few strides before the corner...flexing him out slightly and taking&nbsp;the bend for the corner....he is so willing to accept.&nbsp;&nbsp;It makes him elastic.&nbsp;
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Return to Dressage