Counter Canter?

Dressage

Moderator: EC

Postby Terry3025 » Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:27 am

Ok. I've been finding with Major that when I try to collect his canter he sometimes gets rushy and really heavy in my hands. Other times he's extremely light. I think that has to do with the tiny indoor, cause he's never like this outside. <br /> <br />Anyways, I was wondering if counter-canter could help us with our canter? I do several canter transitions whenever I ride him, but would this be a good thing to incoorporate into our training? How would I do it? I've never been properly showed how to. Here's what I try to do: I'll be cantering around the indoor and go across the diagonal. Like in the trot when I switch diagonals, we move from inside to the outside rein. I do that as well in the canter. I apply my inside leg more to try to bend him around it. The problem is that we'll get one or maybe two strides out of him before the corner, and he'll break to a trot. This is very hard to do in this size of arena. <br /> <br />Do you have any other suggestions on how I should ride the counter canter???? Thanks,
Terry3025

Postby Ruth » Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:01 am

Don't even try to go around the short side in counter canter yet, especially in a small arena. That is actually a 3rd or 4th level movement, it is hard. I teach them by either doing a little loop out off the long side (just out to the 1/4 line or not even that far at first), which is in 1st level, or pick up your counter canter out of walk on the long side, canter up to the short side then back down to walk and true canter around the short side. Once he's comfortable with that then pick up your counter canter on the short side, but only ask for a couple of strides at first and you can gradually increase the number of strides. Your horse trots because he isn't balanced yet and you are asking a bit too much of him at this point in his training.
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Elizabeth » Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:04 pm

I absolutely agree with Ruth. Great advice. <br /> <br />The other thing with counter canter is that your balance and position has to be really excellent in order to prevent the horse from breaking or switching leads. Start slow and build once Major figures out what you want and is more balanced.
Elizabeth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby annie » Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:07 pm

Agreed.&nbsp; A shallow loop to the 1/4 line and maintaining the correct bend is a good way to introduce it.&nbsp; When you start wanting to maintain it over a longer period through more of a bend, it help to have a big outdoor ring or open field where you can work on a 30-40 m circle (or part of a circle).
annie
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Piaffing » Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:25 pm

I also agree counter canter is not for a horse that is rushing. Do circle, circle, circle and more circle. Most people do not do enough of them. Do them anywhere in the arena not just on the short sides.
Piaffing
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby annie » Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:13 pm

Good point, piaffing.&nbsp; For a horse that is rushing&nbsp;I would want to try and improve his balance.&nbsp; You will have much better luck with counter canter if your horse is really sitting and jumping at the canter.&nbsp;
For a rushing pulling horse I would work on riding a 20 m diamond at the canter, thinking of each corner as a 1/4 pirouette (it wont actually be, but that's how you want to think of it).&nbsp; It forces the horse to sit back, it forces you to rights him straight on the outside reing (because you need a significan half-halt before each corner), and it really gives you a lot of control.&nbsp; I would ride that pattern a few times until he is responding well (ie, softer straighter, more collected) and then go back to circling.&nbsp; From there I would bring my circle in to 15 m, and if he is balanced and collected enough down to 12, then 10 and then 8.&nbsp; Then push him back out to 20 and ask him to open up to a medium-feeling canter (again, not necessarily an actual medium canter, but intend&nbsp;for a bigger canter).
I have found that this kind of work improves the canter tremendously, especially on a horse that can be heavy, pull-y, strong, stiff etc (ie, thoroughbred who thinks his job is to take the bit and GO).
Just make sure you have a coach run through it with you (at least as eyes on the ground).
annie
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby horsecrazy333 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:08 am

I agree with the advice above. Emma can rush indoors when she's hot in the winter and sick of not being able to go for a hack. I only work canter on the circle because then I can control the speed. We work on spiral in and out. That really get's her thinking, off my hands and backed off. <br /> <br />As for the counter canter. We are just learning that and we do the shallow loop. Started actually with a leg yield and now into the shallow loop out to the 1/4 line. We eventually have to get out to the 1/2 way mark, but we still have time. <br /> <br />Don't work this too much as they can become frustrated. And balance is key.
horsecrazy333

Postby queenrider » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:06 am

Counter canter can be used for a rushing horse.&nbsp; They are less able to "rush" in counter canter.&nbsp; This is for the more advanced rider.&nbsp;&nbsp; Keep them in shoulder fore and if necessary squash them into the wall when they "rush".&nbsp; There is nowhere for them to go.&nbsp; Expect them not to like this!
When in counter canter don't forget to cut the arena corners.&nbsp; Make the corners very generous.
queenrider
Newbies
Newbies

Postby *rickie* » Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:42 pm

I would rather have my horses nice and calm in their regualr canter work, and be able to do transitions within the gate before I even think about doing counter canter. <br /> <br />I would NOT counter canter a horse who rushs. Too much can happen/go wrong.
*rickie*
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby ~Nikita~ » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:11 pm

*rickie* - I completely agree with you. I wouldn't counter canter a horse who rushes...you'd get better results from a calm canter.
~Nikita~

Return to Dressage