Reins

Dressage

Moderator: EC

Reins

Postby dressagenap » Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:40 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#There already is a discussion about bits so...  What about reins?  I ride Sutherland in a really horrible bridle that my coach found in a spare tack locker.  I was planning on buying a new one but then I decided that it was pointless as I'm switching off of him soon anyway.  Basically, it's practically orange, the throat latch is tiny on him (he's got a very thick neck, lol), and the leather is so weird that I'm always worried that I'll break it doing up the weird nosbeand (think keeper, buckle, keeper, keeper... it's not so great) or something lol.  However, what I find is probably the worst part of it is the REINS.  They're insanely thin and have absolutely no grip.  I'm always having to shorten my reins because they keep slipping out of my hands.  Remind me to never, ever buy gripless reins.  Most of the bridles that I've used have laced/braided reins.  I find that I don't have to constantly adjust their length like I do with the gripless ones.  However, the reins that I LOVE are rubber reins.  I find that the grips on them are fantastic and I never have to worry about my reins slipping, etc.  Unfortunately, they also are rather pricey :(  So, what type of reins do all of you guys prefer?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
dressagenap
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Piaffing » Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:40 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I use leather with leather stoppers stitched on.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Frogs in a basket. Oh, one jumped out, grab that frog.
EC Level 1 Coach, ARIA Level 3 Dressage Coach, C Level Pony Club Tester
http://piaffing.blogspot.com/
www.dressagelife.com
Piaffing
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby draftdriver » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:14 am

Laced leather.
draftdriver
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby danseurhorse » Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:33 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Rubber reins are the only way to go.  I use them on my snaffle and double bridles (the weymouth reins I keep plain leather) for schooling and at shows.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
danseurhorse
Newbies
Newbies

Postby tbbrat » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:41 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've always used rubber reins (eventer#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley16.gif"#ed_cl# ) because I can't get a good grip even with laced reins.  Makes for expensive bridles - I buy one, have to replace the reins and the noseband!  Anyway, just before Christmas I found some really nice-looking reins - leather on the outside, but with a rubber grippy lining inside.  I haven't had a chance to try them out yet.  They're going on my "good" dressage bridle that only gets used at shows#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/9.gif"#ed_cl# .  They were quite reasonably priced too.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
tbbrat
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Ruth » Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:09 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Rubber-lined inside for Boomer#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Tuffy has to be ridden in a balancing rein so I have DeGogue reins for her.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Kobau » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:18 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#leather with lacing on most of mine, but i have one bridle, the stubben that the big guy wears that are the "cloth" with what i call stoppers on them... love them because they don't slide though but are soft..#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby *rickie* » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:26 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#I'm with you Kobau! I just ADORE my cotton web reins!!!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Everyone hates them, except my good bud Caballo (where is she??) anyways, I always ride in those, but for shows, I use the laced reins, as in the rule book it says that your reins must be leather.....#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#I don't like rubber reins, except in the winter, cause they're too thick for me....but on the winter I need that *extra* grip through all the gloves, so I like them then, but usually stick to my cotton ones!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#I've held those leather with rubber in them reins (dunno their real name) and I'll NEVER buy a pair! I hated them with a passion! They were way to thin, and I didn't like the feel of them.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Braided, nope...don't like.....don't even like the look of them....#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Laced, I hate cleaning, therefore only use for showing (and a week before the show to be comfy in them)#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#So now you all know my rein story.........#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/12.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
I'm the proud new owner of a Fez! hahahaha
*rickie*
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Kobau » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:31 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#rickie, glad another person loves those reins!!! wish i could use them for competition!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby ~Nikita~ » Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:31 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#0080ff#ed_cl#*rickie* - dude!! I like your reins too. #ed_op#IMG src="http://www.forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/21.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#0080ff#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#0080ff#ed_cl#I like the laced reins too though. Rubber I like in the winter. On Kita's bridle...she has really worn rubber reins that I hated using when it was really hot/humid, or damp outside because the reins would get really sticky. #ed_op#IMG src="http://www.forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Sad/8.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://www.forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Sad/4.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~*Give a horse what he needs and he will give you his heart in return*~
~Nikita~

Return to Dressage