Particular about tack

Dressage

Moderator: EC

Particular about tack

Postby Keetee » Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:00 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As an extension to the post on bits, do you find that everyone is getting more and more particular about their tack?  At our barn we have discovered that every little piece seems to make a big difference, depending on the sensitivity of your horse.  We discovered many years ago that the saddle we were riding my gelding in was pushing into his shoulders even though it looked like it fit.  After trying many, many saddles, I found that the difference in the way my horse would go with different saddles, all that appeared to fit, was amazing.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Now that I have my second horse, Foxy, we are finding that if the saddle pad binds on her withers, she is very unhappy, and with her small mouth and low palate, fatter bits with larger links in the middle really bother her.  A loose throatlatch affects the action from the reins, a tight browband pinches but a loose one allows the bridle to move too much on her head, point billets pull the saddle down and pinch the shoulders, etc.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If I hadn't experienced a horse that is happy in their tack I would give up trying to get everything just right.  I notice more and more that when I read articles about the big name riders they often mention that they are very particular about their saddle pads or girths or some other piece of tack.  There have also been some developments in how tack is constructed, like the laser bridles, the curved bits, saddles without points, etc.  Have other people found that they are now checking every piece of tack and that when they go to tack stores they feel like an idiot because they are being so picky?  It is a pain but I much prefer to fix a piece of tack than think that my horse is misbehaving and try to "push" them through it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Keetee
Groupie
Groupie

Postby dressagenap » Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:19 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#For the most part, I honestly don't know all that much about the fine print of tack.  However, when you mentioned curved bits, etc. it made me think of how scientific KK bits are.  My coach said that her horse, Q, is too picky to like being ridden in anything less.  (He's about as smart as some dolphins so there's no getting past him, lmao.)  I've ridden in her bridle once or twice and it made an immediate difference.  Sutherland is great in a German silver loose ring (also my coach's...) but he was fantastic in the KK :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
dressagenap
Newbies
Newbies

Postby High Hopes » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:00 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well for me I am not particular on the 'brand' of tack that goes on my pony!  I did try a passier on him but it did not fit him at all!  I do however like to match colour?  LOL.. sad but true.  As long as it fits and he does not get 'angry' about doing his work then everything is a-ok with me!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
High Hopes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Sodapoppers » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:25 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am a bit picky but depends on the tack. For saddles, i am 100% Barnsby. Didn't find anything else that fit Dream, and when I tried some on Harvey i went through about 7 before i borrowed a Barnsby (that a girl who boards at the same barn has) and wow...it was the first one that didn't lift, tilt, or sit flat on her. Bridles I'm not so picky on. As long as it fits...bits i'm not too fussy either, though it needs to fit. On Dream i've tried a couple and he and i are most happy with his very fat eggbutt snaffle. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Ellie » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:08 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am extremely fussy about my tack, don't like loaning it unless it is to someone who will return it in the same condition that I keep it.  I almost always buy really good equipment and then it will last for a long time and is much easier to use.  When I sold my last saddle, a Stubben, it was over 10 years old and looked like it was barely used - even though it had been used fairly regularly!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My one exception is halters, I buy really cheap leather halters so if the horse gets hung up or caught it will break!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ellie

Postby jax » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:32 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think a lot more people are paying attention to their tack, and how it being comfortable and well-fitting can effect the horse.  I remember way back when, people would just use the same saddle/bridle/bit for any horse that they rode and the horse would just have to make do.  No one looked close enough to see if it pinched or bunched or whatever.  I remember the cowboy trainer up at our barn had a really nice Billy Cook, and he used it on every single horse that he rode, and people were actually excited ("Oooo, he's using the Billy Cook to ride my horse - yippee!!"), never even wondering if the thing actually fit.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Now, thankfully, we are paying attention to what fits and what works, and when we find something that does work, we breathe a sigh of relief and become loyal to that product ("I just love my _______, it fits so well and is so comfortable").  There are so many different types of bits that you can have your own tack shop in your locker as you try this one and that one, nevermind the ones you borrow from friends and neighbours. #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/14.gif"#ed_cl#  Rather than blaming things on the horse, we are now paying attention and trying to make them happy and comfy.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And that's a good thing #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/5.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<b>Practice makes progress</b>
jax
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Return to Dressage