Just wondering...Amateur Status

Dressage

Moderator: EC

Just wondering...Amateur Status

Postby Caballo » Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:47 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hello,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Can junior riders lose their amateur status (and be forced to compete as open competitors) if they accept money / gifts / whatever for training / coaching / whatever?  I think that all levels of competition are the same, but just in case, I am specifying for the Trillium / National circuit.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I know that people over the age of 18 are supposed to be considered open competitors if they have accepted money for equine related things, but I didn't know if the rule was the same for juniors or not...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#-Caballo#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Caballo
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Judy F » Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:18 pm

By definition under the rules, a Junior is someone 18 or under who will not have his 19th birthday this year. She/he can compete as an Open rider but is not required to, regardless of income from riding or training -- probably because a junior cannot be held legally responsible.

However, if a former Junior IS making money from riding, coaching, or training, they cannot compete as Adult Amateurs once they hit their 19th year (the year they turn 19).
To ride well is the mark of a gentleman. To ride too well is the sign of a mis-spent youth. Athena the owl in "Outfoxed" by Rita Mae Brown.
-- Distrust any enterprises that require new clothes. EM Forster
Judy F
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Caballo » Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:57 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thank you, that's what I thought!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#-Caballo#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Caballo
Newbies
Newbies

Return to Dressage