Performance level of OTTBs in dressage

Dressage

Moderator: EC

Performance level of OTTBs in dressage

Postby countercanter » Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:20 pm

Hi everyone, Just wondering what level some of you have trained your OTTBs to in dressage. Tell me some of your challenges and your rewards. I would be grateful for any and all responses. Thanks!
countercanter
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Judy F » Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:42 pm

I've never had one myself, but I know people who have trained OTTB's to Level 4/Prix St. Georges.
To ride well is the mark of a gentleman. To ride too well is the sign of a mis-spent youth. Athena the owl in "Outfoxed" by Rita Mae Brown.
-- Distrust any enterprises that require new clothes. EM Forster
Judy F
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby SPYDER » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:47 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Never had one but have taught a few. Definitly can be challenging.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
God is not the force that saves me from the pain of living, but the force that brings me life in the midst of pain and sorrow.
SPYDER
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby xena_n_joss » Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:56 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#theres nothing wrong with it... TBS just usually tend to be a bit explosive or fast... It would definately be a challenge. Youd need a ton load of patience. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Patricia » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:14 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If their mind had not been ruined at the track they can be lovely dressage horses...Very sensitive and responsive to the aids.  I got my first TB---he was age 10.  Basically a failed hunter/jumper and needed to be totally re-started.  He had a ewe neck (upside down) as his teenage rider allowed him to hollow and run with his head in the air.  I stuck to a plan and was consistent in my work.  He went on to about Med II before we moved to our farm and he was semi-retired.  If I had the funds to continue training I am sure he would have gone even higher.  There were trials and tribulations BUT the journey was a memorable one.  We showed and were quite successful against some more fashionable/expensive WB's.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#In fact, my horse passed on last year and I am riding another.  A carbon copy of the first except this guy had a successful career on the Jumper A Circuit and now retired from jumping is excelling in dressage.  Don't overlook a nice TB....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby chenders01 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:48 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hear, hear, Patricia!!  Not wanting to turn this into an ad but my 13yo TB (who I have for sale) is very similar to yours.  He had been through the whole H/J thing too before I bought him, and it took me a good year to reverse the effects of having his head cranked into a "frame" by way of gadgets (running martingale, double bridle, draw reins).  He is lovely to watch now and is coming along really nicely.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Being a little older, he has lost that OTTB "craziness" that a lot of them have when they come off the track.  If things had worked out for us, I think that he would have quickly surpassed my abilities for dressage.  He has the sensitivity and responsiveness that Patricia's TB had, yet an amazing work ethic and willingness to please, coupled with the athleticism needed for dressage.  A lot of people seem to be passing him over due to his age but he is really coming into his prime now and I believe he has a wonderful career ahead of him.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If only people could get past the fact that he's 13...many seem to think that he's past his prime, yet I see a horse who is just waiting for the right person to come along to bring him to his full potential, which I believe is limitless.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby countercanter » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:07 pm

thanks for your replies. I have an OTTB and he is doing awesome. We are schooling at 2nd level and will be competing at 1st. I found the first year and a half the challenge and now it is much easier. His sensitivity enables him to learn things quickly ( right or wrong so I have to be very careful) I was hoping to share with other OTTB owners, but of course I do not mind sharing with everyone! :)
countercanter
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Lix » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:10 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I had an OTTB that was part of the young rider's team in eventing (not trained or shown by me - I got him afterwards).  His strong point was dressage.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#He was spectacular, and I'm not just saying that cause he was my horse.  He was teaching ME when I rode him.  It was amazing.  I could do a crisp and halt-canter just by thinking about it.  I miss riding him so much.  (he's passed away now)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#After his eventing career, he continued showing across the country, he was shown in BC and N-B and many places in between though home was in Ontario.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#He was a one man horse though.  When he got used to being ridden by one person, he was good, but throw other people on and he would get unhappy.  Also, he was bombproof and brilliant in a ring and at shows, but I couldn't hack him (he would crow-hop all the way trying to take-off).  His racing days never quite left him that way.  lol#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I believe OTTBs can be extremely succesful in dressage!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby Patricia » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:14 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Chenders....something you should know.  NOT all TB's coming off have that 'let's go' attitude.  I had one who only raced twice--just not interested.  He was 3 and the sweetest guy.  I sold him as a hunter prospect.  He was 'dead' quiet.  Also, where I keep my guy for the winter....his TB is to die for.  He is about 5 and last year green from the track he was fox hunting him all season...and even jumping by the end of the season.  This guy is almost 17H and a gorgeous chestnut with 4 white stocking and a stripe.  In turnout he sleeps in the day flat out sunning himself.  You would think he was retirement age.  Doesn't run out there...LOL!  On the otherhand, I seem to search out the livelier types....LOL!  I have one at home who is the same markings only is built like a QH/WB.  I am hoping that he will be quiet when we re-start him this summer.  He has that 'spark' that 'look at me' attitude and is a cute mover.  I hope I can take my confidence from the horse I ride now and apply it to this guy.  His favourite season is HOT summer....real quiet....LOL!  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I still say Chenders...if your horse is going so well why not give him another chance?   Like you said it is a great age and he will just keep getting better and better...... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby chenders01 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:27 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Patricia, believe me, I've considered just keeping Dali...but having the opportunity to ride Tequila who is sooo very different from him, has made me realize that, as green as she is, Tequila really is the better horse for me.  I feel SAFE on her...I never felt safe on Dali, mostly because of his height and his big stride, not because of anything he ever did...it was just because of the way he WAS.  I just never felt in control on him, yet I always feel in control on Tequila.  It's just a different feeling with her.  Dali is a wonderful boy but he's not the horse for me.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The girl who is riding him for me now just looovves him...unfortunately, she can't buy him because she already has a horse that she will not sell (who happens to be lame right now, which is why she's got all the time to ride Dali for me).  He really needs a much braver, more confident rider than I am.  I know that person is out there, it's just finding her (or him).  The market is pretty saturated right now, and I guess people are willing to spend a bit more and get a younger horse.  It took a friend over a year to sell her last horse...I'm hoping it won't take THAT long to sell Dali, but I understand that I have somewhat of a hard sell on my hands, due to his age and lack of show record.  It'll happen in time though.  He's too nice of a horse for him to NOT sell.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Magic » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:35 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've never trained an OTTB myself, but one of my past coaches had an OTTB that she trained herself to, I believe, Basic 3 dressage and they were pretty successful in competition. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Magic
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Elizabeth » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:52 pm

Helen Hermanns had a thoroughbred many years ago that was trained and
shown Grand Prix dressage. I don't know if he raced but she bought him
from Barkey's auction for almost nothing. He was an amazing horse to
watch, he loved to work and put his whole self into what he did. We
used to joke that after she tacked him up if let go he would probably
go into the arena and practice all by himself. He was absolutely
wonderful and very inspirational.
Elizabeth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby TackOhBelle » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:07 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I ride and have ridden many OTTBs. Right now i am schooling second level movements with the horse i showed last year....he has all the movements, but hes teaching me. I also did hunter with on the yr before that. Most of the tbs that i know have done hunter.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
TackOhBelle
Newbies
Newbies

ottb

Postby Kobau » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:39 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well Bullet was an ottb, he was an amazing ride, made me earn it, we got to schooling basic 3(what i was learning), but he had gone med 1 before i got him. Now i have Picture, ex racer, was a winner, did H/j guess he did well, did some flat english, and now he is with me we are working on dressage and maybe get into some jumping.. he just turned 20, and thinks he is about 10... 17 hh and just a wow mover!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I do have two other mares that originally came off the track both are sweeties, but neither went dressage.. and then i am selling another OTTb mare to a good friend, she just didn't want to run on the track, they are working dressage now...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Being a mom is a wonderful job... being mom to a horse crazy lil boy means combining two things i adore!!!

Winter makes you appreciate mud in the spring!
Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby xena_n_joss » Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:31 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#This all just goes back to the fact that, no matter what breed, shape or size, most of the success you get with a horse is from the personality and heart and your ability to play on the horses interests and talents.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You can have a OTTB that is freakin amazing in dressage but absolutely hates jumping. You could have a gorgeous WB horse that absolutely loves cross-country. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Its really how determined you are and how trainable your horse is. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Judy F » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:01 am

Just a wee bit of ancient history: Christalot Boylen (then Hanson) rode a TB gelding Bonheur in the 1964 Olympics and placed 21st. Inez Fischer-Credo was also there, placing 18th on her TB Gordina.

They have been displaced in the upper ranks by the high-stepping WB's, but if you want smooth dressage, a TB is the way to go, flash be damned! :lol:
To ride well is the mark of a gentleman. To ride too well is the sign of a mis-spent youth. Athena the owl in "Outfoxed" by Rita Mae Brown.
-- Distrust any enterprises that require new clothes. EM Forster
Judy F
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Patricia » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:04 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hilda Gurney from the U.S. rode Keen to Grand Prix and I may be mistaken to the Olympic level as well.  He was a spectacular chestnut TB with presence and heart.  I have her video selecting your dressage horse with footage of him being ridden by her working student.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Not everyone can afford or for that matter ride a Warmblood.  They come with their own baggage...Some are lazy and need LONG strong legs to move forward.  Some are large and so talented only suitable for professionals.  The right horse for dressage can come in any breed.  I started with a Saddlebred...then after retired I moved to a larger horse and he was TB.  He is the one in my Avatar.  He has passed on and now I am schooling another TB...or two.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby countercanter » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:33 pm

Lots of TB lovers out there! I knew it! I know that my guy is teaching me to be a better rider, quieter, softer and I thank him for it.
countercanter
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Schatzi » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:22 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I rode my OTTB to PSG/I1.  He could do 2 tempi's till the cows came home. Most times he was level, but there was one show in Barrie that he was nuts.  I would trade him in for anything, 23 years young.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Monica Therodescu (?) from Germany rode a TB cross in the world ranks for years.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Schatzi
Newbies
Newbies

Postby weehaw » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:27 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#my horse is actually           of the track. she was trained in dressage  and from what i've heard did very well.   i'm actually trying to find out what level she made it to but i plan to take her in a lot of  d ressage shows. but i'm now definately looking into which level she got to!! and yes she is quite quick. and very sensitive to her sides.      #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
live to ride, ride to live
proud mother of beautiful thoroughbred mare
weehaw
Newbies
Newbies

Next

Return to Dressage