BACK FROM LAS VEGAS!!

Dressage

Moderator: EC

BACK FROM LAS VEGAS!!

Postby danseurhorse » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:56 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Just got back from Vegas where we had the incredible opportunity to watch the top dressage riders in the world.  What a venue.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Friday afternoon showed a very strong Canadian fan base with lots of flags and cheers.  The crowd was eagerly waiting for the Grand Prix Freestyle B.  Leslie Reid and Mark rode very well, I would say even better than their performance at the Royal in November.  The unfortunate part about the competition was the timing of the presentation of the marks on the jumbo-tron to the audience. Just as the next rider entered the ring the marks would go up and the audience would explode.  As Evi Strasser entered for her go, the marks went up for the previous ride and the crowd went crazy.  Poor Quantum Tyme's nerves were frayed and Evi fought hard to keep the ride together.  Our two representatives did very well and we should be very proud of them.      #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Saturday night was the biggie - Arnold Schwarzenegger (sp?) was there, Seigfreid and Roy made an appearance and  the highlight before the actual competition was a classical pas-de-deux done in the the dark by two Lucitanos with the outline of their heads and necks, rump and tails and bottom legs illuminated with lights.  It was absolutely spectacular and gave everyone goosebumps. Then the big guns came out . . . #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I cannot express in words the absolute beauty and quality of the animals that entered the ring.   There were certain horse and rider combinations that just flowed together as one; they floated across the arena.  There were some rides where the music and the timing was so superb to the horse, chills raced up and down your spine.  These were the times when the crowd was so apprectiate of what they were seeing, they could not stop themselves from showing their exuberance before the final halt.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And then the final 3 came in.  Debbie McDonald on Brentina was exquisite.  The music was excellent, very playful and feminine exemplifying the fact the she was the only mare in the competition.  The horse is very large, which made Debbie look like a peanut on her back, but here was a prime example of horse and rider so happy with each other and in tune with each other, that everything was easy.  It was a pleasure to watch.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Edward Gal was next. (He had won the Grand Prix earlier in the week, Anky van Grunsven coming 2nd to him.  (He is also Anky's student!) His horse was smaller and more refined, but again, a wonderful combination and the entire audience knew that he would be the winner tonight.  And then Anky came in.  Her horse was a bigger, more lankier version, and did a wonderful job although there were obvious difficulties.  As we all waited for the results the consensus in the crowd was that Edward would win, and it was a toss up between Anky and Debbie.  There were definate rumblings in the crowd when the marks came up.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As a rider, it made me feel not so insignificant to see that the top riders have the same problems we do.  Some horses were tense or actually defiant in their rides.  One horse/rider combo passaged down center line to a final piaffe and halt, except the horse decided, much to the rider's chagrin, that the piaffe was a no go and absolutely refused to do it and just stood there as the rider kicked and kicked but to no avail.   Two tempi changes at times alternated between 3 or 4 instead, halts were definately not square or immobile or attentive.  A couple horses bucked into their canter transitions or cantered when they should have been trotting.    So now I don't feel so bad!! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The thing that absolutely floored me was the fact that these horses were able to handle the intensity of the crowd, at times it was positively deafening in the arena.  I wonder what the noise would have rated on the decibel meter?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anyway, that's my take and I feel so blessed to have had the opportunity to be be there for the 2005 World Cup Championships.  It was heaven.    #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
danseurhorse
Newbies
Newbies

Postby countercanter » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:22 am

sounds AWESOME!!!! Congrats on getting to see all that talent and beautiful horse flesh! And a big thanks for the personal update on the World Championships. I hope you took lots of pics, that is, if they let your camera in there!
countercanter
Newbies
Newbies

Postby danseurhorse » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:44 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I just read that after her win on Saturday night, Anky van Grunsven and Sjef Jannsen got married in Las Vegas at a wedding chapel by an Elvis impersonater justice of the peace!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#He also sang "I can't help falling in love with you" as they walked down the aisle.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ahhhh . . . . . Vegas!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
danseurhorse
Newbies
Newbies

Postby tbbrat » Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:12 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#That sounds like the experience of a life-time!  You'll treasure those memories for years to come.  Thanks for sharing. #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/20.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As for not feeling so insignificant - I've competed in eventing against riders who go on to the Pan-Am games, and seen them eliminated at the first cross-country fence!  Nothing quite so humbling as horses!  LOL  #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/12.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
tbbrat
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

World Cup

Postby Fritz » Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:50 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have to agree that it truely was the experiance of a lifetime - however I had a different view on the placings.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Frankly, Debbie had what was in many's opinion (at least in my section) the ride of a lifetime.  It brought goosebumps to your whole body.  She got a 5 min standing ovation - and the level of DIFFICULTY!  Extended trot down the center line with one hand on the reins.  Just breathtaking.  It to me, was not even in the same league as Edward/Lingh's kur.  There's was correct, difficult, and the horse has outstanding moves - but the "Umph" factor was missing.  He deserved to be in the top three, but I would have placed the two women above him hands down.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Overall, I am thrilled for all competitors/horses and for Las Vegas for showing DQ's everywhere an outstanding time.  A immemorable experiance #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley1.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Fritz
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Terry3025 » Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:29 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Lucky you!!!  It must have been quite a show!  From what I've heard OLN will be broadcasting the Freestyle on June 6 from 3-4 pm!!!  It sounds like a great show and I'll make sure that I'm free to tape it that night!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
"Competitive riding should be classical riding at its best." -Charles de Kunffy

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses." -R. B. Cunningham Graham
Terry3025

Postby Piaffing » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:58 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#When Debbie did her ride she was in pain because of a lump on her knee. She did not have anything donr to it in case it made it worse. I just loved her ride.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Frogs in a basket. Oh, one jumped out, grab that frog.
EC Level 1 Coach, ARIA Level 3 Dressage Coach, C Level Pony Club Tester
http://piaffing.blogspot.com/
www.dressagelife.com
Piaffing
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Vive Las Vegas

Postby Kathelen L Weinberg » Sun May 01, 2005 11:31 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thank you for your summary of the World Cup.  I was there also along with 90,000 plus fans of our sport.  It was magnificent - even if over the top Las Vegas style.  When 1% or less separates the top three, I'm reminded of a quote I saw once:  Dressage is an Opinion!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I had to ask myself did the right top 3 horses and riders place in the top three - and I believe they did.  Then we get to a style we like, music we like, coreography, plus the technical difficulty...and the view from the various judge locations...and then we arrive at opinion.  I came away knowing I had seen the best 3 rides and the best 18 rides of my life.  The quality was outstanding and amazing.  Never have I been at an equestrian event with the level of sophistication of this competition.  There were times you could have heard a pin drop in that arena.  There were times the arena signed in unison when a mistake was made.  And then there were the standing ovations without anyone having to look around to see if "they should".  Thanks again for your summary!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Please visit me at my website or you may call toll-free 1-866-433-1776
Kathelen L Weinberg
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Valar » Mon May 09, 2005 6:34 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Wauw, it sounds amazing. It must have been a wonderful experience for you to have been there and experience the ambiance and some of best combinations of this moment. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Personally, I think that Debbie McDonald did a great job on her freestyle saterday night. I like her new music- much better than in Athens. Edward Gal showed a wonderful freestyle. Everything just seem to fit in, the timing of the music was superb, the exercises were all carried out flawless and the combination radiated a sense of harmony and partnership. Comparing his ride with that of Anky van Grunsven, the outcome is debatable. I think she rode a much better freestyle in Athens than she did here, though she was granted with a lesser percentage than in Las Vegas. I could easily pick out at least 4 major faults, faults that shouldn't have permitted her to ride the score of#ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl#86.725% But then again, I'm not a FEI jury member ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Valar
Newbies
Newbies

Return to Dressage