question on dressage

Dressage

Moderator: EC

question on dressage

Postby Pilgram » Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:57 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0000bf#ed_cl#hey #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0000bf#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0000bf#ed_cl#i was wondering whats the diffrence between dressage and say show jumping???#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
BORN TO RIDE--FORCED TO WORK
When riding you borrow freedom!
Live well,Laugh lots,Ride often.
**Apples are so over-rated~ A Horse I know**
Pilgram

Postby weehaw » Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:32 pm

dressage is a beautiful thing. its all about the movements and how well you merge with the horse. show jumping you can scare and force your horse to go over the jumps. but dressage is all about the teamwork and bond between horse and rider. its all about the moves. i call it horse ballet. you move with the horse to become one not just to get over a jump. although i love show jumping and cross country dressage is an art, its a challenge and you have to be passionate and interested or it just doesn't look right.
live to ride, ride to live
proud mother of beautiful thoroughbred mare
weehaw
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Pilgram » Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:02 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#oh ok because whenever i hear of people abusing their horse or anything like that i just wanna slap em because a horses are spectacular adn the relationship you have with your horse to me is one of the most memorable i dunno its hard to explain for me working around or being with horses really calm me down and put me in a diffrent world ive been like that since i was young im just finally fully getting into the whole scence wanted to do it since i was 5 but its an expensive sport lol anyways me n horses i cant fully explain the reason why i adore em soooooo much but thank you for explainign dressage to me i alwasy get cunfused im so use to jumping lol#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Pilgram

Postby Morgan1981 » Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:20 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#A lot of riders will agree that dressage is the foundation of riding.  It is something that takes years to become very good at.  I have done it all in my day...dressage, jumping, hunter, etc...and it is very difficult to get a horse through a course properly if you don'e have the basics of dressage.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#In my opinion, there are not enough riders out there with solid dressage work that are out barreling around a 3 and a half foot course barely staying on.  I ahve seen way too many accidents happen in jumper world due to negligence on the riders part.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Dressage helps to develop a riders seat, back and hands...dressage teaches you the importance of a half halt, it teaches you patience and it teaches a rider how to "feel" the horse.  Very essential in any area of riding...agreed??#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I just wish more people would take the time to really appreciate and practice dressage (and I don't mean just flatwork).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The calibure or riders in the jumper ring would be phenomenal if more people would just take the time to really learn dressage.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Maybe this is just me....but I'm one of them dressage snobs...hehe! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Dressage = when horse and rider become one#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Repeat frequently,
Be happy with very little,
Reward generously for progress.

-n. oliveras
Morgan1981
Newbies
Newbies

Postby lifeafterracing » Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:35 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#VERY WELL PUT Morgan 1981!  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#In England, when I was training (years ago now), what we call basic dressage, they called basic training.  It was a given that a horse would be given a solid foundation: correct walk, trot, canter, lengthening, shortening, shoulder in, haunches in etc.  It was also understood that this didn't happen overnight...a concept I think is somewhat lacking in parts of our North American mentality.  There was a lot of emphasis on the riding with the belief that if you ride correctly and know how to use your seat, legs, weight etc, you allow the horse to learn how to carry itself correctly.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Pilgram, I can't add too much to Morgan 1981's post, except that if a horse and rider have the proper solid foundation and training, dressage and showjumping, in a way are not all that different.  I have heard from more than one highly respected coach/trainer on both sides of the ocean, that correctly done, showjumping is dressage with obstacles every so often.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
lifeafterracing

Postby Rio Roulette » Sun May 01, 2005 6:47 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You can ride dressage without jumping, but you can't jump without dressage. Walter Zettl says on one of  his videos, that what do you do between jumps? Dressage! :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rio Roulette
Groupie
Groupie

Postby chenders01 » Sun May 01, 2005 7:13 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Exactly!  Jumping is (or, it SHOULD be) dressage with obstacles.  IOW, 90% of a jump course is dressage and 10% is going over the jumps.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I agree that dressage is the foundation of ALL (english) riding disciplines.  It helps you to develop the proper Seat and it helps you to become more "in tune" with your horse.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Chisholm » Sun May 01, 2005 8:09 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Why do you think the Germans have done so well over the years in the Jumper ring.  Almost every jumper is trained to the similar level in Dressage.  Just watch any of the top jumpers from Germany.  Riding in a loose ring snaffle and flash attachment jumping the same course as the rest in all their gadgets.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But getting back to the original question.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Dressage is Horse and Rider riding a series of patterns in harmony.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Jumper is Horse and Rider jumping a series of jumps of various heights.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Judy F » Sun May 01, 2005 10:22 am

If you watch an international jumping competition, it is easy to see the difference. The European horses are balanced and supple, easily lengthening and shortening their stride and curving around in small circles to cut seconds off their speed trials. The majority of the North American riders are spurring on and yanking back their horses who can only do circles with their heads straight up in the air and flexed to the outside.

The worst ride I have ever seen was one of the Canadian Eventers at the Athens Olympics. I was appalled at the way he rode his poor horse. The result was a demolition derby ride, jumps down left right & centre. The only good news was that he was retiring his horse after the Olympics. She really deserved better!
To ride well is the mark of a gentleman. To ride too well is the sign of a mis-spent youth. Athena the owl in "Outfoxed" by Rita Mae Brown.
-- Distrust any enterprises that require new clothes. EM Forster
Judy F
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Pilgram » Sun May 01, 2005 11:48 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#well thanks now i understand #ed_op#IMG onmouseover="this.style.backgroundColor='#C6D3EF';this.style.border='1px solid #3169C6'; " style="BORDER-RIGHT: #3169c6 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #3169c6 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #3169c6 1px solid; CURSOR: pointer; BORDER-BOTTOM: #3169c6 1px solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #c6d3ef" onclick="InsertImage('/richedit/smileys/classic.gif');" onmouseout="this.style.backgroundColor=''; this.style.border=''" src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/classic.gif" align=absMiddle#ed_cl# you guys are so helpful and i try to catch spruce meadows on the tv when i can but i keep missing the dates anyways ty ty ty ty #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Pilgram

Postby Shoal » Fri May 06, 2005 11:03 am

Dressage is by far the HARDEST form of riding I've ever learned.
Jumping is the easy part and I love both...being an eventer!

Judy F: I know what you are talking about with some eventers.....if it wasn't for the big hearted horse that carries their riders through a course, the riders would have be dead in the water a long time before!
Shoal

Postby Mystic » Fri May 06, 2005 1:30 pm

weehaw wrote: show jumping you can scare and force your horse to go over the jumps.
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't normally post on this board as I #ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl#am#ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl# a#ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl# Jumper#ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl# rider but I do sometimes look at this board and I take exception to this comment. Yes a horse can be scared by jumping if it's overfaced and asked to jump higher or sooner than it's able. But you can't force a horse over a jump. How can a 120 lb rider force a 1200 lbs animal over a fence? If the horse doesn't want to jump then it's not going to no matter what the rider tries to do.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I do agree with Chenders though that jumping is 90% dressage/flat work and 10% jumping. And before anyone jumps the gun here, I do train my mare in dressage 90% of the time and actually jump her only about 10% of the time, most of this coming at shows. My mare is able to do a proper leg yield, half pass, etc and it's don'e nothing but aid me in the jumper ring. Training my jumper in dressage has helped shave seconds off my times because my mare can balance back and do much tighter turns.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#By the way, I've been taking 95% of my lessons for the past four years (been riding for almost 20 years now) have been with a dressage coach (the same one that coaches Cendure and her Prix St. Georges mare) and 5% of my lessons with a Grand Prix rider who also happens to be a level 3 coach and trainer.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh and one more thing, bad training is bad training and can happen in any discipline. I've seen it happen first hand so please don't just make blanket statements.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
It's not the size of the horse that matters. It is the size of their heart.

Mystic

Return to Dressage