First Dressage Show *what to wear & bring*

Dressage

Moderator: EC

First Dressage Show *what to wear & bring*

Postby Dressage_Rider » Sat May 07, 2005 8:54 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#ok. For a dressage show what do you wear and bring..fill us newbies in :D (going from hunter to dressage so somethings need to be set straight..)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#and help me with some questions if you could :) :#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#-what colour coat?black? or can it be navy at all?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#-can you have coloured shirts?or must they be white with the stock pin etc?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#-feildboots are acceptable up until FEI level?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#-white breeches are a must or can they be beige?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#-saddle and bridle can be brown?even at trillium level shows?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#-are polos or boots acceptable in the ring (worn by the horse :))?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#-are the IRH skunks allowable (sheer curiousity as i really wouldnt want to wear mine, i bought i hunt cap for the hack division a few years ago so im sure that will make due)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#-no martingales?im guessing that a no but to verify would be great#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#..lots of questions lol sorry and thanks in advance :) :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~Dressage Rider & Armstrong
Dressage_Rider
Newbies
Newbies

Re: First Dressage Show *what to wear & bring*

Postby *rickie* » Sat May 07, 2005 11:35 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#All righty....so questions.......that need some answers! So here goes. All answers apply to trillium and above levels.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#what colour coat? black? or can it be navy at all?&nbsp; #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#It can be Navy......it doens't have to be black, just any dark color.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#can you have coloured shirts? or must they be white with the stock pin etc? #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#I do belive that colored shirts are allowed, but I have yet to see someone in any color besides white. Stock pins are fine.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#feildboots are acceptable up until FEI level? #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Yes they are, but half chaps are not allowed at any level.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#white breeches are a must or can they be beige?&nbsp; #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Beige is fine. Any light color breech is acceptable, although white is the most common, you do see the odd person in grey and beige.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#saddle and bridle can be brown? even at trillium level shows? #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Saddle and bridle can be brown at any level, even FEI and Olympic. Saddle and bridle don't even HAVE to be the same........you can have a black saddle and brown bridle, or a brown saddle and a black bridle. Dressage isn't all about your tack color. It's about your ride.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#are polos or boots acceptable in the ring (worn by the horse :))?&nbsp; #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#No polos or boots are allowed at all in the show ring. In the warm up ring they are allowed, but forbidden in the show ring.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059#ed_cl#are the IRH skunks allowable?&nbsp; #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#c080ff#ed_cl#Any approved helmet is allowed, however, I can't recall seeing a skunk......#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059#ed_cl#no martingales?&nbsp; #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#c080ff#ed_cl#Absolutely NO martingales. You are allowed to have a breatsplate, but not a martingale of any kind.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#I would say that if you are seriously interested in taking up Dressage, that you should check out the rules. I believe they are posted on the Dressage Canada website, however, I have acutally never checked. But if not pick yourself up a rule book, and be sure to read it through, just to be sure that you aren't breaking ANY rules.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Best of luck, and welcome to the World of Dressage....I'm sure you'll learn SOO much!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
I'm the proud new owner of a Fez! hahahaha
*rickie*
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Dressage_Rider » Sun May 08, 2005 3:23 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks so much..its definitly going to be an new experience but im looking forward to it :D and ill take you up on that rule book thing.. looks like im going to need to learn those sooner or later.. thanks for all the info :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Dressage_Rider
Newbies
Newbies

Dressage Showing

Postby Fritz » Sun May 08, 2005 10:04 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Just to clarify one point - Polos/Boots ARE alllowed in the show ring at Primary (schooling level).&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck and Have Fun this year :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Fritz
Newbies
Newbies

Postby *rickie* » Sun May 08, 2005 11:07 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#hmm Fritz...for all the schooling level Dressage shows I ever been to (we always have schooling and trillium together), it has not been allowed, unless you asked the judge 1st.........and I've only seen one case where it was allowed......#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#If you want to have polos or boots on in Primary level, I'd double check before you enter the ring.......just to be sure.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
I'm the proud new owner of a Fez! hahahaha
*rickie*
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby draftdriver » Mon May 09, 2005 8:35 am

Additional: if it is a hot day and the judge says the riders may go coatless, you should have a white shirt WITH SLEEVES to wear into the ring. Sleeveless is a no-no.

Gloves are a nice touch, but are not necessary at Primary competitions. Go for a dark colour unless your hands are very, very steady.
draftdriver
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby *Eli's coming* » Mon May 09, 2005 9:12 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hello#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#A good idea &nbsp;is to bring extra things, like an extra show shirt, in case you spill something, or your horse goobers on you.&nbsp; An extra girth is always good to have as well, in case you forget your main girth at home (I have done this more then once#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley9.gif"#ed_cl#)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*Eli's coming*
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Judy F » Mon May 09, 2005 11:32 am

And don't forget your horse -- it's happened to someone we know who is now a VERY senior dressage judge :oops:
To ride well is the mark of a gentleman. To ride too well is the sign of a mis-spent youth. Athena the owl in "Outfoxed" by Rita Mae Brown.
-- Distrust any enterprises that require new clothes. EM Forster
Judy F
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Fritz » Mon May 09, 2005 11:58 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#"rickie",#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm very sure of the rules&nbsp;- I carry a copy in the car.&nbsp; EC Dressage Rules clearly state that boots/polos are legal in primary permit shows - you do not need to ask the judge.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think the best way to ensure that you are conforming to any/all rules is to have copies of them at your disposal.&nbsp; Remembering that there are EC general rules, EC dressage rules, and Cadora rules which may all apply depending on which circuit you are showing on.&nbsp; EC rules are assesible by having a sport licence through EC, you have to access them through the their porthole on their website.&nbsp; Last year I read through them with&nbsp;a highlighter, it's amazing what you can learn about your sport :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Fritz
Newbies
Newbies

Postby cadence » Thu May 12, 2005 12:48 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Don't forget a mini-sewing kit and/or safety pins!&nbsp; Ya just never know...... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patience! Practice! Persistence!
cadence
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

?

Postby Dressage_Rider » Thu May 12, 2005 8:00 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#A flash nose band isnt a must is it? i was planning on showing in my new hunter bridle :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Dressage_Rider
Newbies
Newbies

Postby EC » Thu May 12, 2005 9:44 pm

Fritz is right - polos and boots are allowed at Primary competitions. And you don't need to ask first. #ed_op#img src="richedit/smileys/Happy/14.gif"#ed_cl#
EquestrianConnection.com - connecting equestrians everywhere
EC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby draftdriver » Fri May 13, 2005 8:04 am

A regular cavesson noseband is fine. Have a great time!
draftdriver
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Pony Hunter » Fri May 13, 2005 4:03 pm

Judy F wrote:And don't forget your horse -- it's happened to someone we know who is now a VERY senior dressage judge :oops:
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#lol wow I thought that couldn't &nbsp;even be possible! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Pony Hunter

Return to Dressage