Braids in dressage....

Dressage

Moderator: EC

Postby danseurhorse » Thu May 12, 2005 8:13 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hey horsecrazy333#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Traditionally it used to be that on the dark horses you used white tape and on the light or white horses you used black tape.  No coloured elastics either!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#No we don't braid tails in dressage, but either the sides and or tops were shaved down to produce a nice slimming aesthetic effect.  In Vegas many of the tails were "au natural".  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Remember fads will come and go, but traditional basics will always last the test of time.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="/richedit/smileys/cool.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
danseurhorse
Newbies
Newbies

Postby horsecrazy333 » Thu May 12, 2005 8:16 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks Danseurhorse#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If I wanted to trim Emm's tail so it was neat, any suggestions / guidelines or pictures?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Can I warm up in a pad that isn't white to keep my white one for 'show time'#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
horsecrazy333

Postby danseurhorse » Thu May 12, 2005 8:27 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#horsecrazy#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yes you can warm up in any colour pad you want, just don't forget to switch it to your white one when you go in the ring!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I was never a big fan of shaving tails.  What I have always done is:  always use showsheen to brush your tail out - tiny strand by tiny strand, with a human hair brush on a daily basis.    Do not use the metal mane combs - they only break the hairs and end up producing a "frizzy" looking tail.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Once it is all brushed out, I "bang" off the ends so that it is a uniform length along the bottom.  There has been great debate in the past over the length of tail when cutting it, but the rule of thumb is to have someone put their arm under the top of the horses tail as you trim.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hope this helps.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
danseurhorse
Newbies
Newbies

Postby danseurhorse » Thu May 12, 2005 8:30 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#P.S.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Don't bang the tail if it is already short, sparse or a switch tail.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
danseurhorse
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Morgan1981 » Thu May 12, 2005 2:19 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN class=name#ed_cl##ed_op#A name=171728#ed_cl##ed_op#/A#ed_cl#Chrisholm you are right that you don't HAVE to braid the forelock but it is customary as well as curteous to other riders in the warm up ring that all horses except stallions should be fully braided.  You will notice especially at the upper levels with the more experienced riders that all horses except for stallions are braided.  This is a very classical way of doing things.  The steward will sometimes comment that the forelock should be braided if it is not and you are on a mare or gelding.  I have known people that have had to braid the forelock between classes as a request by the steward.    Just something to think about...#ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Repeat frequently,
Be happy with very little,
Reward generously for progress.

-n. oliveras
Morgan1981
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Chisholm » Thu May 12, 2005 3:44 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Morgan1981 I am not familar with this at FEI level Dressage shows.  This is absolute news to me.  And there is nothing in the rules about it.  But I am going to ask our Stewart next week when at the CDI in Ottawa.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Now I believe I have heard of this at breed shows.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Shoal » Thu May 12, 2005 3:49 pm

The people at my eventing barn shave the top of the tail!
I don't really like it but to each their own. So is braiding the tail a hunter thing??
Shoal

Postby Morgan1981 » Thu May 12, 2005 3:49 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You are very right that it is not mandatory...I have always thought that it looks nicer when the forelock was not braided also but years ago my coach told me that only stallions should be unbraided.   A freind of mine used to leave her mares mane unbraided and she was told by several judges that she should be braided.  The steward also made a comment to her on several occasions.  I guess it depends on the judge and steward.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Repeat frequently,
Be happy with very little,
Reward generously for progress.

-n. oliveras
Morgan1981
Newbies
Newbies

Postby irish_lady » Thu May 12, 2005 4:16 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Is there anyone thats wants to make braids in the manes of my mare. The last time we meachered they where 136 cm long.....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
irish_lady
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Judy F » Thu May 12, 2005 4:34 pm

Wow! Her mane or her braids or over 4 ft long!!! Please post a picture!
To ride well is the mark of a gentleman. To ride too well is the sign of a mis-spent youth. Athena the owl in "Outfoxed" by Rita Mae Brown.
-- Distrust any enterprises that require new clothes. EM Forster
Judy F
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby danseurhorse » Thu May 12, 2005 10:12 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Looooong time ago, in the ancient CEF dressage rule books, there was mention of not having to braid ANY male horses' forelock.  That ruling has now been modified to read "in keeping with the tradition and dignity of the sport, manes should be braided, unless roached . . ."    I guess it's all about interpretation now isn't it?  In the USEF rule book regarding dressage it states: "braiding of the horse's mane and tail is permitted.  False tails are permitted and if used may not contain any metal parts".    ! !      #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//surprised.gif"#ed_cl#   #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
danseurhorse
Newbies
Newbies

Postby irish_lady » Fri May 13, 2005 1:17 am

Judy F wrote:Wow! Her mane or her braids or over 4 ft long!!! Please post a picture!
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've posted some pictures at the picture forum the title is : irish cobs.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
irish_lady
Newbies
Newbies

Postby danseurhorse » Mon May 16, 2005 11:04 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hi Patricia#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Nice to see you again on Sunday.  Both you and your son should be very proud of your results at the show. #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley32.gif"#ed_cl#  Now . . . do you feel all better about showing and braiding?  #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley2.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
danseurhorse
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Patricia » Mon May 16, 2005 11:42 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have always enjoyed showing in Niagara.  It seemed like a lifetime ago though.  Have not ridden much or shown in 9 years.  I was doing this more for my son than myself.  It is so hard letting go and making things safe for him.  The horse was a bit of a handful when we arrived BUT the best part is he did everything for himself even the warm up.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#At my age I don't know if I feel better about showing.  It can be too exciting for me....LOL!  I don't have a coach and just ride myself.  So progress is sometimes stifled.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I must say the demonstration rides were very lovely.  The work you put into your horse shows!  Very elegant pair!  What level are you training and showing this year?    #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby horsecrazy333 » Mon May 16, 2005 1:02 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Patricia#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I was there on Sunday from 11 to 12:30  Did I miss you ? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It was a really nice venue and really well run.  It was nice to see the event. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Congratulations by the way.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
horsecrazy333

Postby danseurhorse » Mon May 16, 2005 6:43 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hey Pat#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We wanted to put on a demo of FEI rides to show people that it is not as far out of their grasp as most seem to think.  The first horse was an OTTB very hot chestnut mare.  My student bought her off the track and spent the first 2 years calming her down, she had been quite abused.  The next four were taking lessons with me and as you could see the progress is wonderful.  This is a horse most would have given up on temperment wise, and structurally she is weak behind . . . .but boy can she do her stuff!  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My silly boy was started late - as a 5 year old; he has just turned 9.  We are working PSG and Intermediaire I.  He was quite reluctant to show off his tempi changes on Sunday - he really wanted to buck right through them, but all in all he did OK.  We are going to our first A show state side in 2 weeks, the last time WE showed was when he was still in Training level! #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley5.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
danseurhorse
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Ruth » Tue May 17, 2005 4:16 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I show recognized and I still do the tape and make medium sized braids. So do lots of other people. As long as he's braided neatly and we're turned out properly I'm not concerned about fashion. That's the way I braid well, and I like the look so I'm sticking with it. As far as forelocks go in "Grooming to Win" it says you can leave the forelock unbraided on any warmblood. I used to leave Boomer's forelock unbraided at schooling shows because I think it makes him look like a girl, but I do braid it at recognized, as I had heard about the stallions only thing, and figured it's just one less thing to worry about screwing up! However I don't believe there is an actual rule per se.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Patricia » Tue May 17, 2005 5:20 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Horsecrazy 333....Yes, I was there then.  I rode the dark bay TB.  My son rode him in the previous Junior class.  Do I know you......?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It is a VERY nice venue.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Danseurhorse - You should be pleased with your horses progress in only 4 years.  He looked remarkable.  As far as showing off his tempi changes....I attribute it to the VERY windy weather conditions.  I find they always perform better away from home and seem to listen to their rider more.  Good Luck in your upcoming show.  I'd love to hear how your guys do.  Please update us.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ruth - Yes, there were a few with the tape.  I chose to go without this time.  I left his forelock unbraided as he has a very lovely head and it frames it nicely.  Also, if he had one of his MOMENTS....they would all think....AH....a stallion...they may keep their distance...LOL!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby horsecrazy333 » Wed May 18, 2005 7:47 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hey Patricia#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have to admit, I saw so many dark bay's go on Sunday when I was there.  I think everyone did a great job.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The venue was awesome and pretty much on time.  I enjoyed watching to see what is what before our show next weekend.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Congrats to the organizer.  Despite the wind it was truely lovely.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
horsecrazy333

Postby Ruth » Wed May 18, 2005 4:33 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Danseurhorse: I would be ecstatic if my 9 yo was schooling PSG instead of 3rd!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Previous

Return to Dressage