New Dressage Rules

Dressage

Moderator: EC

New Dressage Rules

Postby Judy F » Tue May 24, 2005 6:59 pm

Dressage Canada has updated some of the rules effective immediately, to correspond with the FEI rules. The most important ones are:

Saddlery: A plain DRESSAGE saddle which must be close to the horse, which has long, near-vertical flaps with stirrups and must be black or brown in colour is compulsory at all levels.

Aside from being badly worded (try finding a horse with long, near-vertical flaps and built-in stirrups! :twisted: ), this rule eliminates the use of a jumping saddle in dressage and possibly some all-purpose saddles.

For Championships, National team trials and FEI classes, you must now drop the whip BEFORE entering the space around the competition ring. No more dropping it at A.

Check them out on the Dressage Canada website.[/url]
To ride well is the mark of a gentleman. To ride too well is the sign of a mis-spent youth. Athena the owl in "Outfoxed" by Rita Mae Brown.
-- Distrust any enterprises that require new clothes. EM Forster
Judy F
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby weehaw » Tue May 24, 2005 8:03 pm

will those rules effect events or the LDA shows? sorry not too good with the rules in anything. usually everyone has to tell me then show me. i hate rules BAH! lol
live to ride, ride to live
proud mother of beautiful thoroughbred mare
weehaw
Newbies
Newbies

Postby *rickie* » Wed May 25, 2005 8:23 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Is this going to be compulsory at Primary and Trillium levels?#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#I think that's kind of un-fair in a way. It's going to make people walk away from Dressage even more than they are now.......people can't afford to buy a new saddle!!!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#What is Dressage comming to? Before it was nice because you could show in any saddle you wanted (I've seen people showing Primary in a western saddle!!!) It didn't matter, you are being judged on your performance...NOT your tack......#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Hate to say it, but they aren't d#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#oing the sport any favors by adding that rule in!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Last edited by *rickie* on Wed May 25, 2005 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm the proud new owner of a Fez! hahahaha
*rickie*
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby draftdriver » Wed May 25, 2005 8:44 am

Are you sure, Judy? I can not find this in the EC rulebook. Please state rule number and/or page number.

(I did find this in the FEI Rule Changes, but that chouldn't affect EC Primary, etc. competitions.)

I have not received notification of any such rule changes.
draftdriver
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

New Rules

Postby Fritz » Wed May 25, 2005 9:01 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think the rules you're referring to Judy are exclusive to FEI levels.  I checked the Dressage rules on EC last night and I couldn't find them anywhere.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Nobody panic :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Fritz
Newbies
Newbies

Postby *rickie* » Wed May 25, 2005 9:28 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#I just spent like forever trying to find it....and I can't......at least not for Primary. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#If it's for FEI, then fine, I can see that one.....just wouldn't seen it *right* if it was for Primary and Trillium...#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Alrighty....panic over. Wow, would I know alot of people upset about that if it was true for all levels!!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
I'm the proud new owner of a Fez! hahahaha
*rickie*
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Judy F » Wed May 25, 2005 10:52 am

It's not in the rule book -- it was just announced and sent out to competition in the Dressage Canada mailing list. This is Anne Welch's message:

To All Dressage Competition Organizers,

Please note the attached list of Rule Amendments from the Dressage Canada
Rules Committee which are to take effect immediately. These amendments are
designed to align our Dressage rules with recent FEI modifications and
changes. It is important to realize that there is nothing punitive in here,
but rather some additional help for our horses and riders.

We recommend that this be printed off - it is in Word Format and posted in
the show office as well as given to the Stewards at your competition.

This rule will apply to all National and Trillium competitions (but Anne is hoping that the stewards will give some lee-way at the lower levels). Most Primary competitions do not use stewards and, Spiritwood Farm's North Gower Dressage Days will not be enforcing it (we also allow boots and bandages in the competition ring).

You will find notice of these amendments on the Dressage Canada Websitehttp://www.dressagecanada.org/dcp.asp?pageid=46
To ride well is the mark of a gentleman. To ride too well is the sign of a mis-spent youth. Athena the owl in "Outfoxed" by Rita Mae Brown.
-- Distrust any enterprises that require new clothes. EM Forster
Judy F
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby BTDT » Wed May 25, 2005 11:52 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As a Dressage Show secretary, I was provided with an update on these rule changes and I too questioned the saddle update ...  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I asked for clarification.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#EM#ed_cl#Question re the Dressage Saddle rule change.... does this apply for all levels (i.e. primary level competition)?  While we don't see a lot of all purpose saddles, we do get a few in the lower test levels.#ed_op#/EM#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Rely is as follows ...#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#EM#ed_cl#I spoke with our favourite Steward and here is the response: "Feel that the primary shows are not under the tight scrutiny of stewards and for the present any saddle English type is acceptable at this level. I also believe that there has to be flexibility in demanding these new rules take place instantly when they have arrived when the season is now in session." So... I think that common sense must prevail. On the side I had a conversation with ****  (remain namelss to protect the innocent) about saddles and the word "all purpose" - seems there is a german context and that there are all purpose saddles (dressage) and all purpose saddles (jumping), #ed_op#/EM#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Sounds like common sense to me.  As a Primary show provides an introduction into the "art" of showing dressage it stands to reason that people may not make the full commitment to purchasing specialized equipment.  BUT you can expect a higher level of commitment at Trillium and up.  Makes sense to me.  If you want to score well in this level of competition, you are going to want to make sure you have all of the advantages you can get.  Lets face it, the cost of showing is a huge expense these days and I would think, it would be in your best interest to commit to a dressage saddle, of some sort, to help you get there.    I've fought the battle of saddle vs leg and seat myself and its an uphill battle all the way.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#I also think you'll find the wording on the qualifications of a dressage saddle adapted sooner than later.  Some of the saddles I've seen coming out these days are only short of a seat belt. #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//ermm.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Anyway, as noted, let common sense rule!  But it would still be safe to say "don't bring your western equitation saddle" #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//surprised.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl# #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
BTDT

Postby mallard » Wed May 25, 2005 2:28 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Grrrr...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I, too, am outraged that Dresage Canada has just now decided to try enforcing this new 'saddle' rule!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#QSLB Prize List has been out for a few weeks. It was approved by an EC Steward, and at the time of her approval no mention was made about using a dressage saddle. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I checked the EC website and the only new rules I saw were for FEI competitions.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#This 'saddle' rule is the about the most detrimental rule that they could make. We need to ENCOURAGE riders to try dressage, not tell them they need to spend more $$$ and buy a new saddle!! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#This is the most 'elitist' & 'snobbish' thing that has happened to our sport in a long time. I thought we were judged on the horses way of going...and if someone's horse goes well in a GP or CC saddle, then why not let them use it? If they are willing to sacrifice a couple of marks on the 'riders position' collectives, that should be the riders' decision.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Most Primary riders are just 'getting into' dressage. Why would they spend $$$ on a dressage saddle they may only use once or twice?? We also get a LOT of juniors on 'school' type horses. Their parents are not going to buy them a new saddle just so they can 'be legal' at a couple of shows. They will choose not to come to dressage shows. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And what about baby green horses that are using a dressage show as an introduction to the 'show scene' before they start their hunter or jumper careers?? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Trillium competitors often have dressage saddles, but we do get Eventors competing in AP saddles at this level. Why would we want to turn away riders just because the saddle does not have a 'long, near vertical' flap'??#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#National riders have made the 'commitment' to dressage and they most always have a dressage saddle, so I can somewhat understand the rule at this level.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#I myself am a petite, short legged rider. My dressage saddle is custom made for my length of leg, so the flaps on it are, in fact, EXACTLY the same length as the ones on my AP saddle! Yes, the flaps are straighter, but the length is the same.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Are we going to have the Stewards measuring the 'length of these 'long' flaps?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What are these 'rules Committee' members thinking????#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

The best success is usually the one you risk the most to achieve
mallard

Postby Kerri » Wed May 25, 2005 2:57 pm

I think everyone needs to take a deep breath for a second (or a few seconds #ed_op#img src="richedit/smileys/Happy/14.gif"#ed_cl#)#ed_op#br#ed_cl#For prizelists that are already out there and approved. Don't forget#ed_op#br#ed_cl#there's the rule in General Regs that says: "Any competition issuing#ed_op#br#ed_cl#its prize list before new rules are published may be governed by teh#ed_op#br#ed_cl#rules in effect at the time of printing the prize list. ...... However,#ed_op#br#ed_cl#prize lists printed after the publication of new rules must be governed#ed_op#br#ed_cl#by the new rules."#ed_op#br#ed_cl# #ed_op#span style="font-weight: bold;"#ed_cl#Re: Primary shows#ed_op#/span#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Don't forget that these shows are not obligated to follow discipline#ed_op#br#ed_cl#rules, although they are obligated to follow EC General Regs. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#That's one reason why you can wear boots/bandages at a Primary show. #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#span style="font-weight: bold;"#ed_cl#Re: Saddle Flaps#ed_op#/span#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Again, let's all take a deep breath. There is no specific definition as#ed_op#br#ed_cl#to length, angle etc. So you won't be getting stewards out with their#ed_op#br#ed_cl#rulers because what would they be comparing the measurements to??#ed_op#br#ed_cl#And also, it's worth noting that  at the beginning of all EC rule#ed_op#br#ed_cl#books, it states that "FEI rules applicable to EC competitions are#ed_op#br#ed_cl#effective upon publication by the FEI". In other words, EC strives to#ed_op#br#ed_cl#be in line with FEI rules as much as possible - this is true across all#ed_op#br#ed_cl#of the disciplines. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#And it's definitely worth noting that these rules changes have allowed#ed_op#br#ed_cl#another type of spur to be used, and other type of bit to be used, and#ed_op#br#ed_cl#allowing the rider to leave the arena if freestyle music has failed. #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#font#ed_cl#Edited to add - I added this to the EMG thread and wanted to
include it here as well. There was a  reference to 'powers that
be'. Believe me, there are no powers that be, only a (very) small army
of volunteers who give up their time and resources towards our sport.
Feedback is always welcomed and critical to the advancement of our
sport. I realize that online forums are an excellent way to share
information and learn, but I also hope that those interested also
contact the various (volunteer) committee members of Dressage Canada to
express their concerns and views..... and also take an opportunity to
get involved. There's lots of committees, lots of programs, and of
course the Board itself which has yearly elections . With the number of
posts here about this one topic, I find it very encouraging that there
is so much passion for this sport we all love! #ed_op#img src="http://www.equiman.com/cgi-bin/ubb/smile.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Feel free to email me directly for any reason - kmcgregor@dressagecanada.org #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/font#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Kerri
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Ruth » Wed May 25, 2005 4:17 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The new rule that I find unfortunate is that ponies under 149 cm will not be allowed to compete in the FEI Young Horse classes. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby EC » Wed May 25, 2005 4:31 pm

Ruth - sounds like what you're really saying is that there should be an FEI "Young Pony" class#ed_op#img src="richedit/smileys/Happy/14.gif"#ed_cl# 
EquestrianConnection.com - connecting equestrians everywhere
EC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ruth » Wed May 25, 2005 4:40 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yes, yes, yes!!! And some adult pony rider classes... My horse is 16.3, but I have a 14.2 I'd love to take out next year if there were some suitable classes for her, and I know the owners of the German Riding Pony stallion I bred her too had planned on taking him in the FEI Young Horse classes this year.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Return to Dressage