Lesson - Instructor

Dressage

Moderator: EC

Lesson - Instructor

Postby GentleRider » Sat May 28, 2005 9:59 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana#ed_cl#My instructor gives me the time excalty to be there for a lesson and I show up on time.  I warm up the horse and get ready to start, but the instructor always show up half hour late, which it's a wasting of time and I had to leave the hour after the specific appointment time.  I feel it's not fair, is it?  Sometimes instructor finishes teaching in just half hour, but not the whole hour, which it's supposed to be an hour is required that I pay for.  It makes me feel very disappointed and could not depend on that person, but I have no choice, because I'm leasing the horse... How can I explain to that person about how I feel?  Need your advice.  Would really appreciate with your help. Thanks!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
GentleRider
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Ruth » Sat May 28, 2005 10:15 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would mention (politely) that they seem to have difficulty being there at that time (don't say "on time"), would it be possible to schedule the lesson for a more convenient time. As far as the length of the lesson goes, sometimes an hour is too much. There's no point in continuing on if you and the horse are too tired, just so you get an hour's worth. My lessons are supposed to be 45 minutes, but they're not always and that's fine, sometimes (especially if we're well warmed up) a half hour is plenty, and I'm not concerned about the missing 15 minutes if it's been a good lesson. Better to have a horse that learned something and isn't out of gas than a resentful, exhausted horse.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby GentleRider » Sat May 28, 2005 3:13 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks Ruth...but still it's bothering me because once they said to be there at , for example, at ten o'clock (that will be 45 minutes or an hour, depends on how it goes what it needs to be done) and they show up at 10:30 and I have to leave at around 11 am for going to work in an hour so I didn't like to feel wasting of time spending money for nothing.  It's hard for me to let them know how I feel or I don't want them to think/ or feel to have to be there around that time, but because I don't like to tell them what to do, you know?  Of course I don't want my horse to get run out of gas and become resentful, exhausted, I totally agree.  It seems hard to find someone who can depends on...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
GentleRider
Newbies
Newbies

Postby SPYDER » Sat May 28, 2005 3:41 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#To me whether it is for a lesson or work or whatever, the person that is late is selfish. I have been late maybe 5-6 times in my life and only as a result of circumstances beyond my control. Even then I always allow extra time.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#She ( I am assuming it is a she) is doing you a disservice and while she may feel it is an acceptable practice she is not taking into account your schedule. The unfortunate thing is that you are leasing and again I am assuming your lease will not allow you to change instructors. If this is the case it would be the owner of the horse that should talk to the instructor because indirectly the owner has hired her. If you are allowed to change then I would do so.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As the market stands now there are many people looking for people to lease horses and if you are not happy then maybe it is time for a change,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
God is not the force that saves me from the pain of living, but the force that brings me life in the midst of pain and sorrow.
SPYDER
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Rio Roulette » Sat May 28, 2005 5:49 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It's a respect issue. You are showing respect by having the horse warmed up for the appointed time, but the instructor does not show respect in return for ensuring they are there when the lesson is to begin. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would mention to them that when I start warming up the horse, I anticipate a certain amount of warm up time prior to the lesson. When the lesson begins late, it means I've gone beyond the warm up and that takes away from the horse's energy that I'm trying to ensure is there for the lesson. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The fact the lesson ends early is a separate issue. I had an instructor (key word "had") who often would charge me the $60 lesson fee for a 20 minute lesson on one of HIS school horses. I found this to be a disservice. There are plenty of interesting exercises that can be done at the walk and still educate the rider (and the horse) without over taxing either.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And I don't believe that it is always appropriate to end the LESSON just because there's been an epiphany or a "good note". It's fine to end the EXERCISE on a good note, give the horse a nice long stretch break, then try a different exercise. I had a lesson once (with the aformentioned coach) that consisted of 5 minutes of trotting, and 3 shoulder ins down the long side. The third time I nailed it perfectly and he called it a day!!! I'm fortunate now to have a coach who is encouraged at these points in time, to teach me something new, not announce "Well, it's Miller time!!".   #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rio Roulette
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Piaffing » Sat May 28, 2005 8:02 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Being a coach myself I always try to be there on time, but once in awhile something unexpected happens so I arrive late. I will always make it up to the student when that happens. I would say something to the coach and if it doesn't improve I would not have the lesson when the coach shows up.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would say something like this "I'm sorry but because you did not arrive at the expected time for my lesson I will not be able to have it because I have to leave."#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If this does not cure the problem I would start looking for a new coach.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Frogs in a basket. Oh, one jumped out, grab that frog.
EC Level 1 Coach, ARIA Level 3 Dressage Coach, C Level Pony Club Tester
http://piaffing.blogspot.com/
www.dressagelife.com
Piaffing
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby GentleRider » Tue May 31, 2005 9:43 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks everyone for a good advice feedback.  I will do my best!!  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
GentleRider
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Patricia » Tue May 31, 2005 10:15 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#All I can say is your coach is NOT very professional.  Your paying for a service you are NOT getting.  They should be making it up to you.  I would most definitely bring up the subject....state your late now and you must leave now for work.  It is only common courtesy to be on time and not keep me waiting.  Also talk to the person owning the horse...those are good grounds to break a lease.......#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby GentleRider » Tue May 31, 2005 10:28 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hey Patricia, thanks for the good point and I'm thinking about telling her how I feel.  I have lesson appointment torromow morning and if she shows up late again, and then that when the time is right I will definetly tell her or the lease owner to solve the problem.  I will let you know how it goes later in a week or so.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks again!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
GentleRider
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Foxie » Tue May 31, 2005 10:32 am

Patricia wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#All I can say is your coach is NOT very professional.  Your paying for a service you are NOT getting.  They should be making it up to you.  I would most definitely bring up the subject....state your late now and you must leave now for work.  It is only common courtesy to be on time and not keep me waiting.  Also talk to the person owning the horse...those are good grounds to break a lease.......#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Agree..#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Or you could just pay this person for only half hour lessons. Only pay them for what they actually worked. She's getting paid for not working. You have to talk to her, don't be fooled she knows that she's in the wrong but doesn't care. Speak up. Maybe things will turn around!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Foxie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby GentleRider » Tue May 31, 2005 10:37 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Foxie,  that's a good idea about paying in less for just half hour lesson! I should have thought about that in the first place. You could say that I am a fool!  But I will not let that happen.  I guess I have too soft-hearted to let it happen frequently and just to be too nice......#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
GentleRider
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Foxie » Tue May 31, 2005 10:42 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Your not a fool!! You just don't want to rock the boat. You think next time she'll stop. Been there! I hate confrontations (sp?). But I've learned that you just gotta bit the bullet and go for it sometimes. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good Luck!#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/12.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Foxie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby GentleRider » Tue May 31, 2005 10:45 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks Foxie! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
GentleRider
Newbies
Newbies

Return to Dressage