Dressage Saddles

Dressage

Moderator: EC

Postby *rickie* » Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:53 pm

Littlegreymare wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#668f5a#ed_cl#I cannot physically sit deep in the saddle, without my legs sitting forward. I can pull them back underneath me, but with the design of these two saddles (Same brand and size), it puts my body in a very compromising position.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#This isn't you...its the way the saddles are made. A Dressage saddle has the stirrup bars placed about 1-2 inches futher back than a Close Contact saddle does....which is why you are having a hard time getting you leg long and still under you. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Best of luck finding a saddle this weekend!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
I'm the proud new owner of a Fez! hahahaha
*rickie*
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby chenders01 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:54 am

Morgan1981 wrote:Just to clarify Horsemad I was talking about Wintecs as throw away saddles. Like I said before I am not very familiar with the Bates saddles.
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Morgan, I'm not sure what you mean by "throw-away" saddle?? #ed_op#IMG onmouseover="this.style.backgroundColor='#C6D3EF';this.style.border='1px solid #3169C6'; " style="BORDER-RIGHT: #3169c6 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #3169c6 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #3169c6 1px solid; CURSOR: pointer; BORDER-BOTTOM: #3169c6 1px solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #c6d3ef" onclick="InsertImage('/richedit/smileys/confused.gif');" onmouseout="this.style.backgroundColor=''; this.style.border=''" src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/confused.gif" align=absMiddle#ed_cl#  I have a Wintec Isabell (dressage) that I love to death and certainly have NO plans of throwing it away.  Of course, I'm only a casual/pleasure type rider and have no plans to ever show at a high level...but even still, Isabell Werth rode in her Wintec at the Olympics, so if it was good enough for her, I'm sure it'll do me just fine #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley2.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It is easy to take care of, and it fit my narrow TB as well as my wider Paint.  Your butt also sticks to it like glue, due to the equisuede material it's made out of.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Morgan1981 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:24 pm

I know that many people love to ride in Wintec saddles and I think it is great that there is a cheaper saddle out there for those of us that can't afford a high name but what I'm trying to say when I said "throw away" saddle is that the Wintec will not last nearly as long as a Stubben for example. I would have a hard time believing that a Wintec would last more then about 10 years, which isn't very long for a saddle at all. A Wintec is good when you are starting out or just dabbling around but I really have my doubts that it would last if you were a competitive dressage rider and using it 5-6 days a week on several different horses. It just doesn't have the lifespan of the better name saddles.

Basically...whatever suits your needs and I know for myself a Wintec wouldn't do. A synthetic saddle doesn't allow the closeness to the horse's back that most dressage riders need.

I dunno...this is all just my opinion.
Repeat frequently,
Be happy with very little,
Reward generously for progress.

-n. oliveras
Morgan1981
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Piaffing » Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:38 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#When trying to fit the same saddle to more than one horse is very difficult. Unless the are built the same you may need 2 saddles. Both my guys have different saddles as that they are built very differently.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Frogs in a basket. Oh, one jumped out, grab that frog.
EC Level 1 Coach, ARIA Level 3 Dressage Coach, C Level Pony Club Tester
http://piaffing.blogspot.com/
www.dressagelife.com
Piaffing
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby bay mare » Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:46 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Piaffing is so right.    Horses can be built so differently or are not as fit (muscled up) as the other.   I love my passier, which I have got away with putting on several horses.   They are definitely on the expensive side but well worth it because they last and hold their value.    Good luck saddle hunting!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
bay mare
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby xena_n_joss » Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:51 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I wouldnt necessarily call a wintec a throw-away saddle, they vertainly will last a very long time if take care of properly. And I was looking at newer wintecs before and they are made, purposely which says on the booklet with it, they you can have it stuffed with regular wool stuffing. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The only kind of saddle  I dont like are the newer saddles which are stuffed with the foam. That is what I would consider a throw away saddle. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Of course I still love stubbens... nothing beats the quality but if you get a stubben to fit the not-so-narrow horse, there is no way it will fit the wide one... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#IMHO a good leg and body position should be the same for dressage in any saddle you ride in. The reason it feels you arnt sitting deep in a close contact saddle is because it is a flat saddle, and there is nothing there to brace or tell your body to sit a certain way... Mabey riding in a close contact is a bit more work and training for your body, but you WILL have a great position.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# I rode for a long time in my close contact before I bought Xena her "big girl" dressage saddle. I had no problems. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby horsemad! » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:47 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#While it's not impossible to do dressage in a CC or an AP - especially at the lower levels - a dressage saddle will actually put you in the correct position for dressage.   There's a difference in where the stirrup bars are, how deep the seat is, etc. that help you to be there in the saddle instead of fighting to stay in the right position.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Morgan 1981... the Bates are the same saddles as the Wintecs - just not synthetic.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Chenders... Did Isabelle really ride in the Wintec, or was it the Bates?  I just can't imagine anyone at her level riding in a synthetic saddle. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~~ Stupid should hurt! ~~
Jimmy Wofford
horsemad!
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Ruth » Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:48 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, the Wintec I paid all of $25 for last summer has got to be 15 years old, it's one of the originals. Works well for what I need it for, which is keeping some weight off the old girl via exercise, and light riding on the 4 yo. As a second saddle I didn't want to fork out a whole whack of cash. Luckily they're mother and daughter with similar backs so it fits them both and works well for what I need it for. However, I won't be switching to it for riding Boomer!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Littlegreymare » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:54 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#So I've been looking at dressage saddles.....#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#But my ultimate goal is to do eventing, even just the lower levels. As well as foxhunting.  Could I use an Eventing saddle to do Dressage?#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#Would it help my leg position (are the stirrup bars generally placed a little further back than a cc?) #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Littlegreymare
Groupie
Groupie

Previous

Return to Dressage