Stirrup Legnth

Dressage

Moderator: EC

Stirrup Legnth

Postby beccyroo » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:44 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Tonight I was riding with long stirrups, and I was wondering exactly how long the length should be for riding dressage. As in where the stirrup should be in relation to your leg. It felt fine with a long stirrup, I actually preferred it to a shorter stirrup length, yet I glanced down and noticed my thighs were not resting on the knee rolls? I tried to correct this, yet there would still be a gap no matter how hard I did try... I'm just wondering if anyone could give me any tips on fixing this?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
beccyroo
Newbies
Newbies

Postby cadence » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:12 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, there is some discussion about stirrup lengths in dressage.  You want it fairly long but not so long that you rock your pelvis forward.  I tend to prefer a longish stirrup so that I merely have to lift my toe about an inch to put it in the stirrup iron - since my pelvis tends to a littler stiffer than the average woman, I can tolerate a longer stirrup length because it doesn't tilt me forward. Other people prefer more bend in their knee. You have to do what's right for your body, your comfort, your position.  If a shorter stirrup length is preferrable, yet it takes your thighs off the rolls, just try lengthening by one hole and see if you can find a decent compromise.  If you look in all the dressage magazines, you see some top riders ride with nearly straight legs and others ride with a quite a bend to their knee.  What's correct is a position that makes your legs effective and you balanced and properly situated in the saddle.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't know if that description helped, but I hope it did somehow.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patience! Practice! Persistence!
cadence
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Morgan1981 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:18 pm

FRom what you are discribing it sounds like your stirrups are still too short. If you take your leg out of the stirrup and let your legs hang and be free from gripping then the bottom of the stirrup should rest at that round bone that stcks out on your ankle or just below. In dressage we break the rule of having to push our heels way down like in jumping. Heels should be down but not to the extreme as in jumping.

It will take time to be able to ride with long stirrups as your first instinct will be to grip with your knees and thighs. I would suggest lots of work without stirrups to encourage a long leg. Once you get your stirrups back from having them crossed you will probably notice your stirrups will be too short and you'll have to put them down a hole. Do this time and time again and after a while you wont need to start the ride off with the shorter stirrup length.
Repeat frequently,
Be happy with very little,
Reward generously for progress.

-n. oliveras
Morgan1981
Newbies
Newbies

Postby *rickie* » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:18 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#For riding every day flat work, (ie: not Dressage) then you want the bottom of the stirrup to hit your ankle bone, but for Dressage, you're goal is to have it so that all you do is point your toes WAY UP, (maybe lift your leg the slightest bit) and then it's in the stirrup.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Of coarse you have to take into consideration your body type and what is most comfortable for you, as Cadence was saying. If you lengthen them too soon, you'll just end up pinching even more, and stuggling to keep the stirrups on the ball of your foot.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Of coarse, this all also depends on what kind of a saddle you are riding in, as that will play a part in how your body as well as leg position is, which makes a difference when riding Dressage.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
I'm the proud new owner of a Fez! hahahaha
*rickie*
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Chisholm » Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:30 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Stirrup length in Dressage is totally a personal preference.  Some ride in so they can barely touch the stirrup and some ride quite short.  But the text book length is the stirrup should hit just below the ankle bone.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I believe that I am right on the text book length.  I use to ride longer but I have a short leg and on my current horse he prefers I ride with a slightly shorter stirrup.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby draftdriver » Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:56 am

On the ankle bone works for me. One hole up for hacking, two holes up for little jumps.
draftdriver
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby *rickie* » Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:27 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#ff80ff size=4#ed_cl#I must just be weird then!!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#ff80ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#ff80ff size=4#ed_cl#When I measure my stirrups from the ground (doing the from your fingertips to your arm pit method) I get on, and they are WAY too short! Sure they hit my ankle bone, but holly man, I feel like a jockey!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#ff80ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#ff80ff size=4#ed_cl#Guess I'm just totally weird! #ed_op#IMG onmouseover="this.style.backgroundColor='#C6D3EF';this.style.border='1px solid #3169C6'; " style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; CURSOR: pointer; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none" onclick="InsertImage('/richedit/smileys/alien.gif');" onmouseout="this.style.backgroundColor=''; this.style.border=''" src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/alien.gif" align=absMiddle#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
I'm the proud new owner of a Fez! hahahaha
*rickie*
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Chisholm » Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:35 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Rickie I think it depends how long you are from hip to knee as to the measurement working or not.  It never works for me.  I usually measure then put it down 2-3 holes from my arm measurement.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby pony crazy » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:46 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It is all about personal preference.No matter what kind of saddle I ride in my stirrups are at a length that I'm comfortable with.Mind you they are a little longer when in my dressage saddle,but I'm not reaching for them.I've seen people ride with their stirrups way too long,I'd rather see them shorter that way you have less chance in losing them.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
PONY CRAZY
pony crazy
Newbies
Newbies

Return to Dressage