A braiding question?

Dressage

Moderator: EC

A braiding question?

Postby Ellie » Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:45 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am hoping to finally get a dressage show this summer, and have a question about current braiding styles.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Previously whenever I went as a groom to the dressage shows, we ALWAYS braided the horses mane. The owner that I groomed for insisted on 17 braids in her horses mane and we always used white tape.  Now looking at some pictures from europe I see much larger braids, some with white some without.  I even see lots of horses without braids.  SO.... my question is lots of small braids?  or less big braids?  White tape or Black? What is more usual in Ontario?  By the way, not braiding isn't an option,  I think it really looks nice at a show so we will be braided even if we are the only competitor that is!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#In case it makes a difference, Ellie is liver chestnut with a darker (not black) mane & tail and I think would look stunning with white braids#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ellie

Postby zooka » Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:19 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Now a days the shows I have been to there are a lot of different styles.  It is really what the rider wants.  As for tape, if your horse has a really steady head tape works well and looks great!  BUT if your horse moves their head around during your ride it seems to be better to not use tape because the tape accentuates the movement and makes it easy to spot.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby mallard » Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:48 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hi Ellie...here is a link to a discussion from COTH abour braiding...It has lots of links to photos.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I like the bigger fatter braids...I most often do button braids.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't use tape unless, as Zooka says, you horse is 110% steady in her head carriage. Something like wearing white gloves....only do it if you know your hands don't move.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://chronicleforums.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=6656094911&f=7086043131&m=7686043131"#ed_cl#http://chronicleforums.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=6656094911&f=7086043131&m=7686043131#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#p.s.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#SO glad you're getting that great pony out.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Emma is learning to drive...taking delivery of her road her cart tomorrow.WooHoo#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Calli is at the trainers, still being a bit of a devil, but I think he'll be worth it in the long run!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

The best success is usually the one you risk the most to achieve
mallard

Postby xena_n_joss » Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:57 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#dont use white tape if your horse has a really bad neck either, it will show off a great neckline but will make a not-so-great neck line and head look more horrible than it should. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I personally still like the smalled brainds, not so tiny, but alot of times the fat ones look quite sloppy and they dont look very good with the tape.... That hour and a half of hell braiding the smaller ones is sometimes worth it... ; )#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Morgan1981 » Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:34 pm

I just went through this discussion with my coach yesterday.

Bigger braids look better and if you leave them a little looser so that they bulge a bit it will make your horses neck look bigger and it will appear to have a bigger topline. White tape looks nice but a steady head is important. Forlocks should be french-braided so that it site close to the horse's head. Small braids make the neck look longer and thinner (ok for a horse with a really thick neck). Braids look nicer when they lay flatter to against the neck.

Yesterday braided sturdy 16.3hh Rheinlander and I put in 8 braids in his neck and then the forlock. I have been told it is unlucky to have an even number of braids (for the superstitious...lol) so I always go for odd.

In dressage the mane must be braided at Trillium and National level (not sure about Primary...would have to check rules) in Ontario.
Repeat frequently,
Be happy with very little,
Reward generously for progress.

-n. oliveras
Morgan1981
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Judy F » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:48 am

In dressage the mane must be braided at Trillium and National level (not sure about Primary...would have to check rules) in Ontario.

Actually, there is nothing in the rules about braids being required. They are a traditional part of showing, but not actually required.

And, BTW, it's the number of braids in the mane alone that are supposed to be odd, the forelock doesn't count. I can remember my first coach being happy to braid her horse with only 7 braids on his neck.

Braids are optional, but a clean, tidy-looking horse is not.
To ride well is the mark of a gentleman. To ride too well is the sign of a mis-spent youth. Athena the owl in "Outfoxed" by Rita Mae Brown.
-- Distrust any enterprises that require new clothes. EM Forster
Judy F
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Ruth » Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:42 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I like the tape myself. Plus it means I can use elastics and then hide them underneath the tape! One thing I have learned when using the tape is not to do too many small braids, otherwise it looks busy. I've never counted how many I put in Boomer's mane, I would guess somewhere around 16-20, he doesn't have a big neck, but has a really thick mane.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#At the last Palgrave show there were lots of different styles of braiding, go with whatever floats your boat and you can do well.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Kobau » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:52 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#well i just did a show, and my guy had about 26 braides, they were all the same size, about 2-3 inches widths of section that i was braiding. It looked perfect on him, and any bigger braids would have looked god-awful on him. We do rosettes i think is the term. When i used to braid the Morgans for Dressage I would braid the same size sections and hook the 1st braid to the base of the 3rd or fourth and so on....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anyways, My guys require about 20-30 braids depending on the horse. But that is my guys......and my opinion on the # they need to look good.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Being a mom is a wonderful job... being mom to a horse crazy lil boy means combining two things i adore!!!

Winter makes you appreciate mud in the spring!
Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Littlegreymare » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:52 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#What about tails? Do they have to be braided (as in hunterland) as well?#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Littlegreymare
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Judy F » Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:11 am

No, tails are usually au naturel but some people shave the sides of the dock but a few may braid if they feel it necessary.
To ride well is the mark of a gentleman. To ride too well is the sign of a mis-spent youth. Athena the owl in "Outfoxed" by Rita Mae Brown.
Judy F
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby pony crazy » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:03 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#it really doesn't matter what colour tape you use.i know some people who don't use any.as for the size of your braids i find more braids make a short neck look longer and vice versa.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
pony crazy
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Patricia » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:51 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I went to a Primary show about 3 weeks ago.  It had been almost 10 years since I last showed.  I got lots of feedback before I went so I could prepare.  I liked the look of the white tape especially on my bay horse.  Although, the consensus was that white tape is passe and hardly ever used now.  So I went without.  The bigger breeds, Warmbloods often do the rosettes.  I personally don't like them.  I find I still prefer the nice uniform braids measuring about 2 fingers.  I probably had about 18 or so braids.  I turn them up about two to 3 times and have them lay flat.  It was very flattering on my horse as he has a lovely long neck with a very nice topline.  I got a comment at the bottom of my test from the judge...."Very Nice Horse".  Presentation is so important...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Do not braid the tail....although detangle and bang it.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby horsecrazy333 » Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:39 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Patricia#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#When you turned them under did you use elastics to secure them or string?  I'm having this debate right now.  Emma has a white mane so I can get away with white elastics.  What is acceptable?  I know in Hunters it should be yarn.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
horsecrazy333

Postby Patricia » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:50 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I use only elastics.  It can be done very neatly.  I braid a black mane/black elastics.  I braid down very tight and put an elastic at the end.  Then I turn up the little end and turn the braid up twice and use another elastic.  If you use Quikbraid it will hold them in good.  I only use water and they stay in very well.  (Looks like I won't be braiding anytime soon...looks like our poor horse hurt his back....We are disappointed)  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Marloes » Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:10 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#pfff, if I read all of this, I'm glad that I've got a haflinger and can do the brading this way (I don't know how it's called in English)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Image#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Check my website: http://www.marloesandaron.web-log.nl
Aron, you will be mine forever!!!
Marloes
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Judy F » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:36 pm

That is about the neatest running braid I've ever seen. For horses with really thick manes, it's the only way to go!

I friend of mine had an Icelandic horse. It was all she could do to get part of the mane into a running braid. :lol:
Judy F
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby zooka » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:38 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Marloes that is really cool.  Does it take long to learn?  It looks hard to do!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

braids

Postby pony crazy » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:40 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Running braids aren't hard to do.I f you know hw to french braid you pretty much know how to do that.It just takes a little practice to get it the way you want it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
PONY CRAZY
pony crazy
Newbies
Newbies

Re: braids

Postby Marloes » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:38 am

pony crazy wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Running braids aren't hard to do.I f you know hw to french braid you pretty much know how to do that.It just takes a little practice to get it the way you want it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Exactly! I make one in about 3-4 minutes now, but a while ago it took me 15 minutes. It's all a matter of practice.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Check my website: http://www.marloesandaron.web-log.nl
Aron, you will be mine forever!!!
Marloes
Newbies
Newbies

Postby dressagenap » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:50 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Marloes, yours are GORGEOUS!  I tried one once and it looks pretty good... until it fell out about 10 minutes later, lmao.  Napoleon's mane isn't long enough for one (mind you, it really is time for me to pull it!) but today I realized that one of the new horses has quite the running braid-worthy mane #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/14.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
dressagenap
Newbies
Newbies

Return to Dressage