Has anyone shown in a Materiale or Suitablity class?

Dressage

Moderator: EC

Has anyone shown in a Materiale or Suitablity class?

Postby AWSgurl » Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:35 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hi#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Has anyone shown in any of these classes? If so what do the judges look for and expect out of the rider and horse? I am thinking of entering my young horse in them?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#thanks for your help#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Coloured Horses for Sport
AWSgurl

Postby zooka » Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:02 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My 4 year old went into the materiel class for 4yr olds this year.  They were in a group and told to walk, trot and canter.  The judge took turns watching each horse, in this case 4 horses. In one class th judge said that my horse has to fill out more... she is 17.2 in the front and still growing....  In the other class the judge made no comments at all.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#From look wise, the horses that won were solid horses that had great balance and looked a lot more mature then my baby does.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Probably not very helpful... but that is all I can really explain from our experience with the material classes.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby AWSgurl » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:57 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#did they ask you to lengthen at all???? What if you got the wrong canter lead did they care??? Were the riders amateurs or proffessionals?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#thanks for your help#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
AWSgurl

Postby Judy F » Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:21 pm

These classes are for the babies, so no one will be looking for lenthened strides. Gaits are judged strictly on purity, quality and correctness, not on brilliance. They do look at rideability. The horses are 60% for movement, 30% for conformation and 10% for general impression, including impulsion, balance and temperment.
To ride well is the mark of a gentleman. To ride too well is the sign of a mis-spent youth. Athena the owl in "Outfoxed" by Rita Mae Brown.
-- Distrust any enterprises that require new clothes. EM Forster
Judy F
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Chisholm » Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:33 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think these classes are a great idea, but one should be careful entering their horse if they plan on selling it or using it at stud.  Just as in the young horse classes.  Reputation, Reputation .....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby zooka » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:04 pm

AWSgurl wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#did they ask you to lengthen at all???? What if you got the wrong canter lead did they care??? Were the riders amateurs or proffessionals?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#thanks for your help#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# There was no lengthening.  If you picked up the wrong canter lead you just changed it as fast as you could so that the judge could see what your horses canter looked like.  It was a mixture of different riders and the judges paid no attention to the riders it was all how the horse looked.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby AWSgurl » Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:55 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Judy F I was just informed by one of the shows that they will be asking for lenghten trot, also my coach stated that in the suitablility classes they ask for alot more then your basic w/t/c and to be prepared.........so I think that I will be sticking to the Materiale classes that aren't so demanding of the young horse....thanks everyone for your input#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
AWSgurl

Postby Judy F » Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:55 am

I can see that AWS! It would help determine if the horse has balance issues. Be sure you don't just kick him on or let him speed up. It should be enough to give with the reins so he can stretch out and cover more ground. A couple of half-halts before giving will help the stretch.
To ride well is the mark of a gentleman. To ride too well is the sign of a mis-spent youth. Athena the owl in "Outfoxed" by Rita Mae Brown.
-- Distrust any enterprises that require new clothes. EM Forster
Judy F
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby xena_n_joss » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:42 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#dont worry... lengthen trot is a more simple movement.... Its not a full extended trot, the judge only should expect to see a legthen in stride and frame of the horse. Like Judy said you should just need to give a bit with the reins to legthen the frame without him running or speeding up. They dont want to see very much change. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to Dressage