Our first show!!!

Dressage

Moderator: EC

Our first show!!!

Postby Ellie » Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:25 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well after 3 1/2  long years of sick pony, saddle doesn't fit, training issues, moving barns, no coach  and so on, things finally came together for Ellie and I this morning as we competed in our very first dressage show at Conestoga Cadora.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I can't believe its only been a short time since I decided to actually take her to the show this year and then discovered that the entries were due that very day, with the show in 2 short weeks!  #ed_op#IMG onmouseover="this.style.backgroundColor='#C6D3EF';this.style.border='1px solid #3169C6'; " style="BORDER-RIGHT: #3169c6 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #3169c6 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #3169c6 1px solid; CURSOR: pointer; BORDER-BOTTOM: #3169c6 1px solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #c6d3ef" onclick="InsertImage('/richedit/smileys/dead.gif');" onmouseout="this.style.backgroundColor=''; this.style.border=''" src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/dead.gif" align=absMiddle#ed_cl#    We scrambled around and got our entries in on time (just barely) and then found out 2 days ago that the test we were carefully practicing were not the tests we had to do today.  We had only 1 day to practice the new tests (3 times) and off we went this morning (after some persuasion about the trailer) to our very first show.  When we finally arrived Ellie handled it like a pro, good thing cause I was a nervous wreck.  Well folks let me tell you that dressage ring sure looks different from the back of the horse rather than as groom and test reader that I am used to.  Anyway, what with the late start we had only 15 minutes to warm up for the walk trot test against 12 other competitors.  Well, we can only do what we can do - so off we went into the ring.  She was amazing, focused and attentive, just loving the spotlight as the only horse in the ring.  I didn't want to know my score until after I had ridden my Training test, but we had 2 hours to wait.  That sure is a long wait, and by the time they were supposed to be getting nearer to us they were running some 30 minutes behind so we  just took our time in getting ready.  We finally head down to the warm up ring and spend about 5 minutes just walking around, when the gate person announces that we are now 3 horses away!  What gives, how can we be 30 minutes behind and now we are only 10?  Apparently they cut out the ribbon presentations and the break.  Crap.... we havn't even cantered yet, hell... we havn't even cantered outside yet this year as we don't have an outdoor ring!   We have been working in an indoor 20 x 40 and now we are outdoor in a 20 x 60! We actually got 1 trot circle and 1 canter circle each way and then we were in!  Amazing, I actually amanged to smile at the judge and my little Ellie just trucked around that ring like she did it every day of her life.  Big sigh of relief from the rider when we were done and now we can get out of the ring and see if the judge caught all our errors.  My coach and I  took care of Ellie while my friends & helpers went in search of my tests and the results.  I am still in shock#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Walk trot = 57.22%  with a 5th ribbon against 12 horses#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Training 1 = 57.27% with a 4th ribbon against 16#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My little girl did good!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley32.gif"#ed_cl#     #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley32.gif"#ed_cl#       #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley32.gif"#ed_cl#      #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley32.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#AND many, many, many thanks to my friends  who went out of their way to help us out today#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ellie

Postby Chisholm » Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:43 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Way too go Ellie, glad your first experience showing with Ellie was so positive.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I rule of thumb is always be ready to ride near your time because a show can make up lost time.  But the whip by the sounds of it should have been a bit more on top of things.  Coming from being a whip for many years.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Sodapoppers » Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:26 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#Congrats Ellie!! It's so nice when things start to come together! :D#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Patricia » Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:30 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Like Chisholm said try to be prepared for your specific ride time.  They can NOT as you to go sooner than your time...if you need it.  Our first show--we were late due to loading issues.  My son had a 10 minute warm up for a pre-training test.  He didn't even canter.  Horse was not totally round and a bit tense...to be expected no real warm up.  He still scored over 60%...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#That is something to aim for for next time...allowing your horse proper time to relax and get familiar with his surrounding and get some real canter work in.  We found after a REAL warm up the horse performed better than we could have expected and he scored a 68 in pre training.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You should be thrilled...it is hard to go from an indoor and no outside work or warm up.  We had the same thing to deal with.  Sounds like your horse is a real trooper and when you relax next time things will go ever better....look out your on your way!  Congrats!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby chenders01 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:33 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I was there.  "Ellie", you were waaay more nervous than you needed to be...your mare was GREAT!!  You did a wonderful job.  And she is such a cutie, too...LOVE liver chestnuts!  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Now that you've got the first nerve-wracking show behind you, I'm sure that you will be MUCH more relaxed at the next one.  I know that I'll be exactly like you, the first time I take Tequila to a show (maybe later this summer, if I can teach her to STEER first lol!!).  The movements all come up so quickly, don't they??  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anyway, you did great.  Re. your ride times, it would've helped had the sound system been working #ed_op#IMG onmouseover="this.style.backgroundColor='#C6D3EF';this.style.border='1px solid #3169C6'; " style="BORDER-RIGHT: #3169c6 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #3169c6 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #3169c6 1px solid; CURSOR: pointer; BORDER-BOTTOM: #3169c6 1px solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #c6d3ef" onclick="InsertImage('/richedit/smileys/confused.gif');" onmouseout="this.style.backgroundColor=''; this.style.border=''" src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/confused.gif" align=absMiddle#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby mallard » Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:32 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#WhooHoo Ellie...way to go!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Be sure to email Heather & give her all the details!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

The best success is usually the one you risk the most to achieve
mallard

Return to Dressage