Great Clinic Experience!!

Dressage

Moderator: EC

Great Clinic Experience!!

Postby Trufflemaker » Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:05 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My new barn is hosting a clinic by Per Meisner over this weekend, and I decided to sign up for a session this afternoon. I was soooooo nervous about it. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have been having problems with my horse lately, and wasn't sure that we would be up to doing the lesson together, but I am SO GLAD we did. I had a chance to talk with Per in advance about the issues we're having, so he knew what we needed to work on. By the time I finished my warm-up my butterflies were gone. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The main problem we've been having is my horse avoids the bit, sticking her nose WAY up in the air, sidestepping, and all kinds of foolishness. I have been using a training aid to help keep her head down (yeah I know lots of people disapprove but I honestly was not able to get her to cooperate--due mostly to rider inexperience #ed_op#IMG src="/richedit/smileys/confused.gif"#ed_cl# ). I had had her teeth floated to rule out soreness issues (it did need to be done so that was definately a good decision). Today was our first ride since the vet's visit.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Per was soooo nice. I am not a really advanced rider and my horse is young (yeah I know a bad combination but...). He has such a good sense of how to give instruction a little at a time, and constantly encourages and praises when you make improvements. He explained so well what I need to do to help her understand what I want, and I got her to give to the bit at every gait--WITHOUT the training aid. I feel so good about the whole thing! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So we had a GREAT ride and luckily my friend videotaped the whole thing so I can watch it and continue to learn from the lesson long after Per has gone back to Denmark. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh yeah, I had dropped my stirrups partway through my warm up, and I never did pick them up again. That means I did 60+ minutes without stirrups! I could hardly dismount at the end mind you, but several hours later, I find my walk is back to normal.#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//silly.gif"#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Best of all, I feel that there is hope for me to become a better rider, and to help my horse improve her self-carriage etc. I was feeling pretty discouraged for the last few weeks. It was expensive, but I think the money was really well spent.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
"No one can teach riding so well as a horse."
C.S. Lewis, "The Horse and His Boy"
Trufflemaker

Postby zooka » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:25 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Congrats!  It always feels amazing when you have a break through in riding and things just seem to fall into place.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Trufflemaker » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:44 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks Zooka! Reading all the posts on this forum I know there are so many MUCH more experienced riders than me, and having a lesson on such a basic skill may sound boring to some. But as you say it was a breakthrough for me because I had been told so many different ways to bring her on the bit that didn't seem to work. I suspect that she had never been properly schooled to give to the bit either, so it was a case of the blind leading the blind.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Per made it so, so simple and I'm sure I can continue to school her using the technique he showed me.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
"No one can teach riding so well as a horse."
C.S. Lewis, "The Horse and His Boy"
Trufflemaker

Postby Patricia » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:24 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It is always exciting when we have a breakthough...not matter how simple it may be.  That is a very key thing to learn and often times some horses have more difficulty with it.  You may find now that the building blocks may just fall into place and the training will take off.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Morgan1981 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:27 pm

i know from experience that position is key...even when riding yougsters. If you are gripping in the least bit your horse will know and react. Sounds like my have been the case...Don't worry position faults haunt even the best of riders. Good luck and good progress!
Repeat frequently,
Be happy with very little,
Reward generously for progress.

-n. oliveras
Morgan1981
Newbies
Newbies

Return to Dressage