warming up

Dressage

Moderator: EC

warming up

Postby riderready » Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:48 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My coach wants our lessons to start with a medium trot, good impulsion and a correct bend from the outset, but leaves the warm up to me.  I'm trying to help the horse warm up such that he has impulsion and lacks stiffness (he is stiffer to the left). I always walk at least 10 minutes, and have started doing some neck stretches before riding.  Our dressage arena is tight width-wise and my horse is around 17 hands, so it's hard getting him together enough to get his big bod around correctly.  I tried cruising at higher speed in the field to get him rolling, but he's still stiff so it doesn't help overall.  Sometimes transitions, smaller circles or leg yielding into the trot help, but I don't feel like I have a good overall strategy. Any suggestions on warm up, to get impulsion and bend?   He's plenty athletic enough to do this.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
riderready
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Terry3025 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:04 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My guy is very similar to yours.  He is long and lanky and it takes a while for him to move freely and not be stiff.  What I do is start out long and low.  Have a nice forward trot and do circles, serpentines, bending, leg yields, etc.  Then move into the canter.  I usually go into my forward seat just to warm up his back and let him really move from behind.  Depending on the day, he will warm up quicker than other days.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#With your horse who is more stiff to the left.  I would start everything out on the left.  When your walking do some bending in both directions, but make sure there is impulsion from behind.  Same in the trot and the canter.  Keep changing directions and make him think.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What about lunging?  Maybe this could help with his stiffness?  The neck exercises sound good too.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
"Competitive riding should be classical riding at its best." -Charles de Kunffy

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses." -R. B. Cunningham Graham
Terry3025

Postby *rickie* » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:51 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#I would suggest that if he is very stiff, and does not want to bend and come under (implusion) then the best warm up you could do, that I know of, would be as follows:#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#After your 10mins of walking around, allowing your horse to stretch, and just all around warm up (as well as you warming up, I always do some stretchs, and go into forward seat [2-point] to stretch my legs, and such) would be:#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Start at a walk, and pick up contact (don't ask for their head down, just a bit of contact), and start on a 20m circle. Now, start making you're circle into a wiggly circle. So you would start at A, and come off the track, and then turn back towards K (or F) and then come in towards the middle of  the circle again, and then back out. It's kind of like you are making serpentines out of your circle, only you won't be going right into the middle of the circle. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#This is just a wonderful exsercise! I have used it on so many horses! It gets them bending, and also gets them to step under themselves, as the are comming around the wiggles. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#You would start off just doing shallow wiggles, and then start making them deeper. When you have a BIG problem fitting in 4 in one circle, then they are too deep. You don't want to over do it, so start small, and as your horse starts to come under, and bend better, you'll be able to make them deeper and eventually add in more wiggles!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Once you're horse can do this at a walk comfertably, try it at a trot! When I get on a horse that doesn't bend, this is my 1st thing! If the horse tries to trot, let them trot, and just push them forward and around the wiggles into a walk. It will take time, but eventually they will calm down and walk, and give to you. The trotting (it'll probably more of a jog) is just because it is hard for them, and they are trying to evade.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#I love this exercise!! Out of every exercise there is, this is my favorite!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Best of luck, and if my explantion isn't good enough, let me know...and I'll try again!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
I'm the proud new owner of a Fez! hahahaha
*rickie*
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Leena » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:23 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#In a warm up, I would work on transitions in the walk, with circle, serpentine, long walk on circles, straight walk on long lines, short walk...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#This way you work all part of your horse into the walk.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck and hope this help.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Leena#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Leena
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby zooka » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:09 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#keep changing it up in the warm up nice and forward doing serpentines, circles of different sizes and different parts of the arena, broken lines, figure eights and those circles that Rickie mentioned sound good as well.  Also lots of transitions to work the different paces.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby cadence » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:03 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Big bodies take big time to warm up.  All those muscles to get moving. My gelding is 17 hh and still growing and he takes a good 30 to 45 minutes of warming up before I feel he is truly ready for anything heavy.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Since he tends to be an excitable powerhouse, I do a lot of walk-halt-walk and walk-trot-walk transitions, incorporating random squiggles throughout the arena changing directions - - sort of like if you were taking a pen on a paper and just randomly drawing squiggles and curves, corners, turns, circles, etc.... well that's what we do.  This not only loosens up a stiff, big body, but wonders of wonders, it gets the rider loosened up too because the transitions and multi-frequent directional changes force the rider to move their shoulders, hips and legs to make proper turns.  Sometimes, the stiffness is not all the horse, but rather the horse responding to the rider's stiffness.  This exercise also loosens up the horse's mind and keeps him from guessing what direction to go in, and teaches the horse to wait for the rider's instructions - excellent for an argumentative horse too.  I use this because my youngster likes to argue and take charge until he gets "knocked down a peg" with this exercise and has to completely rely on me for instructions. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Next, we move into trot, continuing the same squiggles, serpentines, circles, figure of 8s, loops and zig-zags, incorporating half-halts, transitions to walk-trot, trot-halt-trot, etc.  Depending on how relaxed, balanced and supple the horse feels, which sometimes takes my guy about 10-20 minutes of trotting and trotting transitions, before I feel he is ready to move into any canter work.  Cantering gets my guy quite excitable, and excitable in him means big, powerful, uphill, foreward movement which can be difficult to sit, so we do many half-halts and transitions canter-trot-canter, with loops, figures, serpentines, half-circles, all while incorporating transitions.  Only simple changes during warm-up.  All loops, circles, half-circles, etc., require the use of many half-halts, all of which get the horse listening to the rider.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Another very good exercise taught by my coach is to go on a 20m circle, turn the horse's shoulders in and have the horse walk in a continual big shoulder-in the entire way around the 20m circle.  I call it the "shoulder-in circle".  It forces the horse to really cross their hindlegs significantly, tunes up the rider's coordination for proper cues of when to support, when to release, when to cue, etc., to keep the horse on the proper alignment and track.  This exercise is huge for stretching the croup, hips and back-quarter muscles as well as all across the shoulders, down the chest and up into the neck.  They simply #ed_op#U#ed_cl#have#ed_op#/U#ed_cl# to cross their legs in order to stay on their feet or else they'd fall on their nose.  As you get a couple good cross-legs, walk them straight forward a few strides and begin again.  Eventually, your horse will become so supple, balanced and coordinated that they can do this the entire 20 meters in exactly the track you put them on but that takes time and practice.  This is done at a walk and once very well handled, can be attempted at a trot, although only do this if you have a horse who understands to be straight when going on a straight line and understands when to do the "shoulder-in-circle" versus a proper circle.  If your horse is green then do not attempt this exercise unless you are convinced your horse understands the dynamics of a perfectly circular 20m circle and can do a good, balanced, rhythmic shoulder-in on a straight line with the support of a wall as well as without the support of a wall.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#That's my routine and I stick to it, even at a show.  The only different thing I incorporate at a show is I take my horse in bridle-in-hand and walk him around and check out everything, see the sights, hear the sounds, smell the smells and then after we've wandered the entire grounds, he goes back in his stall to think about that.  It settles him and then he's ready to ride. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patience! Practice! Persistence!
cadence
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Rio Roulette » Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:23 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Big horse + small work space = oppression. :) It's like us trying to do yoga in the bathroom. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Can you hack him out for his warm up?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rio Roulette
Groupie
Groupie

Postby riderready » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:06 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#He's being such a good boy!  And seems much happier.  His right improved first, and now his left sided work is also improving.   #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've been riding him on the trail to warm up, and avoid intense drilling in our tight dressage arena - sometimes we zig-zag in and out of it, and all around the field.  He couldn't do Rickies exercise in our narrow arena, but we have been working in this type of wiggle too. I also loosened his noseband a notch, and he is chewing more happily while working.   #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
riderready
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Morgan1981 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:00 pm

Well seeing as you have a tight area to work in I would suggest that maybe you could move your rides outside if you have a bigger area. Larger and younger horses need space.

Also keep in mind that like poeple horses are either left or right handed. Most horses are better to the right then the left.

I would start on the better side. In the walk begin to push your horse together. I do some leg yeilding from the centre line to the track on both sides to help push my horse into a more secure connection. I will do bending exercises like ribbon serpentines or ten metre figure eights with lots of changes in direction, bend and flection.

Next I would move on to the trot (rising). Remain in rising trot until you have your horses back consistantly. Straight lines to start, moving on to 20 meter circles, serpentines, loops. Remember that rythym is key. If you do not have a steady rythm you will not be able to gain impulsion.

Remember the riding pyramid. Rythm, Relaxation, contact, impulstion, straigtness, suppleness, collection.

There is no point in trying to run your horse out of it's natural rythm with hopes to gain impulsion. It just won't happen. Neither will bend for that matter.

Another good exercise is increasing and decreasing the circle in both trot and canter. Again watch that you are not sending your horse out of it's rythm.

Also be aware that perhaps you are loosing your horses shoulder and bend may not be the problem. I ride my horse in shoulder four at all times to encourage straightmess. Right from the start. Get the job done. There is no point in putting empty miles on the horse.

Hope some of this helps
Repeat frequently,
Be happy with very little,
Reward generously for progress.

-n. oliveras
Morgan1981
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Ruth » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:45 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Canter! Unless your horse is like cadence's and finds it exciting. Canter loosens horses up because it is a jumping gait, and there is no rule that says you have to do the paces in order of speed. I might trot and stretch a few times around before cantering, but by no means do you have to spend 10 minutes trotting before cantering.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Return to Dressage