Our wonderful sport

Dressage

Moderator: EC

Our wonderful sport

Postby Terry3025 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:19 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I was wondering, do you think that this wonderful sport of dressage is gaining in popularity in Canada or North America?  There seem to be large numbers of spectators at the larger FEI dressage shows, but our small local ones are suffering.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What are your thoughts?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
"Competitive riding should be classical riding at its best." -Charles de Kunffy

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses." -R. B. Cunningham Graham
Terry3025

Postby zooka » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:23 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#unless you are into dressage I do not think that shows are fun to watch except at the higher levels like GP.  Even that I think can only hold peoples attention for a few tests.  I love dressage but unless I know the person, or it is a flashy horse that catches my attention, I find it hard to stay focused on the classes myself.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Maybe I'm alone in that though...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Terry3025 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:29 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#
  I find it hard to stay focused on the classes myself
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I find that aswell.  I find that the smaller level shows, up to second level or even higher do not show the bond or oneness between horse and rider.  It is not pleasant to see a rider bouncing around, yanking the horses mouth, and riding with horrible position going around the ring.  However, I do enjoy lower level tests that are fluid, calm, and show a bond/trust between the two.  The higher level classes will always be the most interesting, but it is still nice to see a well performed lower level class as well!  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The GP Freestlyes seem to attract large numbers of people.  Look at Las Vegas and the Royal Winter Fair.  All sold out!  That's gotta say someting about our sport.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
"Competitive riding should be classical riding at its best." -Charles de Kunffy

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses." -R. B. Cunningham Graham
Terry3025

Postby Leena » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:31 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Zooka, I totally agree with you ! My husband finds 1st level totally boring, but he loves Kur !#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If I was not there to comment, he would have switch to eventer or jumping I am sure !#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Leena#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Leena
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby *rickie* » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:50 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#I agree....watching low level Dressage is like watching paint dry!!! LITERALLY!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#I don't mind if it's someone I know, or some really flashy horse, or horse rider combination, but the tests I CAN NOT stand to watch AT ALL are the ones where I feel like I'm going to hurl because if that rider was my student, I'd have yanked them off that horse until they learned to be nice! Of coarse it's different with the walk trot kids, and stuff, but once you're riding training level, you should be RIDING....not bouncying around, and pulling on your horse....#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Mind you...that's just me! Sorry if that sounds way to blunt, I'm in a blunt mood! #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//happy.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
I'm the proud new owner of a Fez! hahahaha
*rickie*
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby zooka » Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:28 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I totally agree.  The reason freestyles bring in more people is because no 2 are the exact same and there is music to entertain people.  Recently there have been some really amzing combos of tests and music put together.  Freestyles are the most beautiful to me because you get to show what your horse can do and make things flow so perfectly.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby *rickie* » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:04 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#I agree 100% Zooka. I have always loved them, and each time I have ever shown I have always had a Freestyle! They are so much fun to put together, and like you said, they are the TRUE tests that show off what your horse and you are really capable of! #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Of coarse the fact that you get to add music that suits not only your horse, but yourself, is just the icing on the cake! hahahaha!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#My favorite is when people use non traditional music. I've never used the traditional classical music, I've always used things that the audience will recognise, even if they can't pin point exactly where it's from, they do recognise it. I know  the one year I had little mermaid music (no words of coarse) as my trot music, it wasn't the traditional little mermaid music, but everyone recognised it and I had so many people comming up and asking me what it was from! hahaha THOSE are the freestyles you remember!!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
I'm the proud new owner of a Fez! hahahaha
*rickie*
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Ruth » Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:10 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#One of the FEI Ponies used "Tie a Yellow Ribbon" for their trot music at the RCRA show, I got a kick out of a young girl riding to Tony Orlando and Dawn! I like a creative non-traditional approach to Freestyles as well. I found that the LDA has some great freestyle people.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Return to Dressage