Sitting a hunter horse for a drassage test

Dressage

Moderator: EC

Sitting a hunter horse for a drassage test

Postby Pretty_Pony72 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:30 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hi, #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have a schooling show on Sunday, to get ready for a big dressage test on the 14th. But while i'm riding my horse, when i sit he seems to go faster. And it is impossible to post with the long stirrups, and my leg doesn't hold posting with them a dressage length. So any tips? My horse likes a looser contact, and he kind of throws you forward when he trots. But thats all okay to deal with its just him speeding up. I know it takes SOOO much leg to get him to canter, thats fine too. He just starts to run away and its annoying #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Angry/2.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Sometimes you have to trust what a horse did was right
Pretty_Pony72
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Judy F » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:35 pm

Shorten your stirrups to a comfortable length so you can post.  If
you're doing training level, sitting trot is optional.  The most
important thing at this point is to keep your horse going forwards with
a good smooth rhythm!  He just needs to obediant, supple and on
the bit, but not cranked into a 'frame'.  #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Use half-halts to keep him balanced, especially going into corners, so he doesn't lose that rhythm.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Good luck!!  and don't forget to have fun.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
To ride well is the mark of a gentleman. To ride too well is the sign of a mis-spent youth. Athena the owl in "Outfoxed" by Rita Mae Brown.
-- Distrust any enterprises that require new clothes. EM Forster
Judy F
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby *rickie* » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:09 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#I agree with Judy F here. Don't ride in *Dressage Length* stirrups if you can't do you're normal every day stuff. Dressage isn't about how long your stirrups are! It's about becomming one with your horse, and being relax, forward, and supple.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Post your test if you horse is more relaxed. My guess would be that when you sit, you're pinching in some way shape or form, which would be telling him to go go go.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#As for the running away......if you can't get your coach to help school him through this, then all I can suggest is doing alot of trot canter transitions. So that as soon as he gets unblanaced, and rushy, back down to trot. Then once he relaxs in the trot, back up to canter, and so on.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#If cantering is a problem, due to running away, may I suggest just going a walk trot class?? That way it will build up your confidence and your horses confidence as well. As a rule of thumb, you should always be showing a level below what you are schooling. (schooling, meaning that you're schooling to move up to the next level, so you would be working to get a balanced canter, but haven't quite mastered it yet, so you would show walk trot)#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Hope this helps!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
I'm the proud new owner of a Fez! hahahaha
*rickie*
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Patricia » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:35 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well everyone should BE ABLE to post...LOL!  The stirrups should be a comfortable length.  Just NOT jockey style length.  If your horse runs off you are not blocking with enough contact or making use of half halts....also do NOT sit the trot yet...your not ready...your probably squeezing/grabbing and pushing him MORE forward.   Also do some walk/trot work with no stirrups to develop a longer relaxed leg position.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ride the test in trot rising if it is training.  Do losts of half halts.  Prime things to work on is rythmn, obedience, good well placed figures and control the canter with good transitions.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Pretty_Pony72 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:39 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks i went to go braid today and my horse lost a shoe...so i may not be able to go in... but i'll still try all of those things you all have said i hope they help!=)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Sometimes you have to trust what a horse did was right
Pretty_Pony72
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby zooka » Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:45 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#thats too bad about loosing the shoe hopefully it works out in the end.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Return to Dressage